fire wall indents

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

fire wall indents

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I had these 2 indents in my firewall that matched up with the ribs around the upper 2 bolts on the bell housing.They where asymmetrical so they didn't look factory.That area of sheet metal is also pretty wrinkled but that may be from stamping and the big change in direction there. My car was in an accident at some point so perhaps the motor got pushed back .Its also possible a previous owner bashed the bejesus out of that area to make installing those 2 bolts easier The attached 2 pics are inside and outside after I started to pound them out.Image
man is the metal bunched up .I am going to have to cut some slots and beat it some more and weld. Or put it back the way it was for bolt clearance LOL

question (1) is there factory dents in that location perhaps for bell housing bolt insertion
(2) is the sheet metal In the area where the trans tunnel and firewall intersect wrinkly from the factory?

Lip Ripper

Re: fire wall indents

Post by Lip Ripper »

V8 mod. I'd leave'em alone.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Here is a picture of my firewall, it had no damage. If you need better picture let me know. Looks like someone tried to beat the factory indents out on yours.

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

gosh darn it !! yep that was me who was beating them out..although they didnt look nearly as neat as they do in your pic before I started Lou ..your dents are obviously factory looking ,mine not so much and it was an original v8 car . lesson learned,ask first beat second. That's going to be a chore to fix now. I hate going backwards

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Heat and beat. Smaller ball peen if you have one.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea they were kinda wrinkly around mine.

Johno

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Thanks all for the help,i will anneal the area and see how it goes.some of the material folded in tight on itself so its not going too beat back out nicely