Subframe connectors

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Mizon14

Subframe connectors

Post by Mizon14 »

Hi,
Does anyone have a build for subframe connectors? I found a couple of builds for Mustangs with blue prints but nothing for comets. I’m looking for ideas on the best way to install a set without getting into rearranging or cutting up the torque boxes in the rear.

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Subframe connectors

Post by A/FX »

I fabricated these for my ‘64, 10 guage mild steel. Tied the front rails to the torque boxes and a flange along the length that will bolt to the floorpan. The relocated leaf spring mounts and trac bar mounts are also tied in.
They are almost unnoticeable when the car is on the ground and do not hang down or get in the way of exhaust or other components.
Jim

https://postimg.org/gallery/2ul4vffwc/
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Mizon14

Post by Mizon14 »

Wow! That’s a super clean job.
I’m looking to install something that will keep everything in its factory location. I really like what you have done with yours but might be out of my league. Did you put your connectors through the floor?

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Thanks,
I did not want the connectors through the floor because they would disrupt the floorpan. The connectors have a flange along the length that will bolt though the floor with a strengthening plate on the inside of the floor. Like I mentioned, with the car on the ground at ride height the connectors are almost invisible. I could have installed the same design connectors and left the leaf springs in the factory location but I will be running a 275 radial with a deep offset wheel and needed the clearance.
I will be using this rear end, I built it using a Winters center section and Baer disc brakes.

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Wow what beautiful fabrication and great engineering. I like your rear end too, wow I wish I worded that differently. LOL
I'm not that talented so I just used sub frame connectors from Total Control Products. Again what a NEAT job AFX. Andy

Mizon14

Post by Mizon14 »

Now that would make sense to relocate the springs for clearance. I saw a build on here where the gentleman drilled and moved both rear frame rails to tub out the back end. That is way too much work for this guy but it’s really neat to see the workmanship some people have shared on here. I’ve been studying your photos all day and trying to make sense of everything with the rear torque boxes. From what I see you put your connectors on the inside of the rear rails and ran them straight back with the contours of the floor pans? Then filled in the gap between the connectors and torque boxes with a square plate? I really like this idea and it would save me from having to cut up the floor pans I put in. I probably should have done the connectors before floors but at the time wasn’t exactly thinking clearing. Lol. Next time I’ll take that approach.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I like your rear end too, wow I wish I worded that differently. LOL

:lol: open mouth...insert foot........ :shock: OL POP,does that often,also.....by the time it comes from my mind down thru my finger tips onto this key brd....something gets lost :shock: :lol: better luck next time :wink: :!: :roll: pop
pop/glenda

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

[From what I see you put your connectors on the inside of the rear rails and ran them straight back with the contours of the floor pans? Then filled in the gap between the connectors and torque boxes with a square plate? .[/quote]

The connectors run from the front sub frame rails straight back ( following the contour of the floor pan) which puts them inside the rear torque boxes. That is why I tied in the rear torque boxes to the connectors with a fabricated steel box, inside that box there are plates that tie everything to the floor pan and the new leaf spring/ traction bar mounts. The springs are now where the frame rail kick up once was, this gives me the width of the frame extra clearance for the tire/wheel combination. The rear shackles have also been relocated inboard but no cutting was done to the frame rail, I designed a bolt in assembly that is very strong and clean looking. All this was done with the car on a rotisserie which made it convenient for fabrication and welding.
I temporarily installed the rear end, leaf springs, and trac bars, and the wheels and tires, everything fits well and the suspension movement works great with no binding or issues. When I have the front and rear suspension installed again and the car on the ground I will have to dial in the ride height but it should be real close to where I planned it to be. (Low)
Thanks for your interest.
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Jim - I was finally able to view the pics. Really nice work especially @ the back end & yeah, they should be "hidden" well.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

barrys65cyclone

Post by barrys65cyclone »

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Hey Jim really nice job on those! :D

Last edited by poboyjo65 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

[quote="poboyjo65"]Hey Jim really nice job on those! :D

Thanks! The pictures make everything look kind of ugly, the yellow color is a primer that was on the car. The other photo is after I had the car dipped, so there is no paint anywhere. After I am finished fabricating and modifying I will send the body to be stripped again then ecoated before final bodywork and paint.
Jim

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Very Nice workmanship/Fabrication !! Definitely well thought out, and look like they belong on the car.
Awesome work Jim!

Lou

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Lou's Comet wrote:Very Nice workmanship/Fabrication !! Definitely well thought out, and look like they belong on the car.
Awesome work Jim!
Lou
X2
I did connectors as well, no where near as clean, and they enter the floor.
I moved the springs to the inside of the rail as well and the new spring mount is mounted to the back of the connector/rail.
Pics here on page 4 and a couple more pics on page 6. Sorry about the pic quality.
Maybe give you an idea or 2.
Fred
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 8&start=45
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

SASSY wrote: X2
I did connectors as well, no where near as clean, and they enter the floor.
I moved the springs to the inside of the rail as well and the new spring mount is mounted to the back of the connector/rail.
Pics here on page 4 and a couple more pics on page 6. Sorry about the pic quality.
Maybe give you an idea or 2.
Fred
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 8&start=45
Yea mine are thru the floor also. Really think it adds strength. And was doing the floors and rails anyways.

But going to be a issue when I do the carpet.

Lou