Subframe connectors

Discussions about general body work and modifications
poboyjo65

Re: Subframe connectors

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lou's Comet wrote: But going to be a issue when I do the carpet.
Lou
Lou mine are like yours,they only protrude in the rear floor & it only shows when you fold up your front seats & I think yours will be black like mine so that also helps it disappear. I had plans to notch the carpet & cover the sfc's with vinyl but since I was using my old carpet I didnt bother & haven't thought much about it since. The carpet is a little wavy looking is all. I suppose a high-end build like yours could get a false floor on top of the sfc's easy enough. both rear seat mounts are raised about the same amount as the sfc's so the floor would be about level across the 3.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Lou's Comet wrote: But going to be a issue when I do the carpet.
Lou
Lou mine are like yours,they only protrude in the rear floor & it only shows when you fold up your front seats & I think yours will be black like mine so that also helps it disappear. I had plans to notch the carpet & cover the sfc's with vinyl but since I was using my old carpet I didnt bother & haven't thought much about it since. The carpet is a little wavy looking is all. I suppose a high-end build like yours could get a false floor on top of the sfc's easy enough. both rear seat mounts are raised about the same amount as the sfc's so the floor would be about level across the 3.
Yea they only protrude in the rear floors. Plan on the same, notching the carpet and cover with some vinyl. Think a false floor would be harder to carpet. Not sure how my seats will mount yet. Have newer seats.

Like you said only show when front seats are folded forward, think the vinyl cover will be fine.

Lou

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

Even though my fabricated connectors do not protrude into the cabin I am not installing a rear seat. I removed the rear seat riser and will have my interior upholstery guy run the carpet from the firewall to the rear seat bulkhead. I am also deleting the console and using ‘64 T Bird bucket seats, and because I am using the BW T10 there is the riser on the tunnel, he will also have to carpet around the roll bar.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Super nice job on the connectors Jim, I have some crites connectors I haven't installed yet There isn't much too them I could have made them myself wit the correct tubing,.Has anyone put Crites connectors in?

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

Have an round body comet seems that i get left out of all the fun, the early falcons should be the same if my research is correct so the global west units should swap? Their falcon page has a lot more parts then their comet page which i find odd considering the front suspension is the same
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

A/FX wrote:I fabricated these for my ‘64, 10 guage mild steel...

https://postimg.org/gallery/2ul4vffwc/
Jim would you please repost the picture - the link seems busted now?
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

kevinshi wrote:
A/FX wrote:I fabricated these for my ‘64, 10 guage mild steel...

https://postimg.org/gallery/2ul4vffwc/
Jim would you please repost the picture - the link seems busted now?
Here are a few pictures of the subframe connectors. The first picture and the two with the yellow floor pan is during fabrication when the car was on the rotisserie. The others are with the suspension installed. The connectors were fabricated from 10 guage flat cold roll, they will be bolted to the floor pan using the flange after the body is e coated. They are welded to the front frame and also to the rear torque box, the new spring/ traction bar mount is also tied in and securely welded to the torque box and floor pan. Last week the car was on its wheels for the first time, the suspension worked perfectly. I will need to adjust the ride height once the car is complete to compensate for the weight of body components, fuel, etc.

I hope this helps.
Jim

‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

kevinshi

Post by kevinshi »

Wow.
Thanks,
kevin
1965 Caliente Convertible
5H25A525287 (76DM6204L5416)