under body paint

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Kingspeedy2

under body paint

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

I am at the point where I have to start thinking about coating at least sections of the underside of my car,as things like the 4 link subframe that gets tucked up are busy and wont allow for good coating once installed
I am in the mock up stage still so there will be additions of brackets fuel lines etc .
My underside is epoxied and although not perfect sheet metal wise its ok for looks.
any suggestions of a tintable product that I can spray some now and some later? alternatively a good chassis black if I go that route? Some of the box liner type coating seem durable .This isn't a show car but it will be very nice
your thoughts as always are appreciated

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: under body paint

Post by A/FX »

I have used chip guard, that is the product that new cars have on the lower areas of the fenders, It is tintable and can be thinned to create different textures.
Also a colored bed liner from a pickup truck is an option, I have not used it but I have seen vehicles that have had it applied to body sections.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used a roll on bed liner, I think it was duplicolor. I also used the spray on bed liner up around the front tire in the wheel well ,& hard to get to places. I also used it on top of my floors. a gallon goes a long ways, even doing 2 coats everywhere.
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I used rustolium bed liner and I'm happy with it.
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I ain't got nothing,,,,natural metal.... just like factory.I put mine on the lift several times a year and pressure wash it and keep it clean,, .................pop
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I'm a huge fan of UPOL Raptor spray on bedliner. They have it in black as well as tintable. For chassis black paint, Bill Hirsch Super Chassis Black is an excellent product that I use too.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I did my under body with BC/CC PPG body color. But a lot of work. After reading Rippers post when he used the Raptor I tried it on the underneath of a truck cab I was doing. Really nice stuff !! Don't think you could go wrong with it,, unless you are going for smooth. If you want smooth some single stage urethane would work well.

Lou

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

sounds like the Raptor is good stuff and I could continue it on into the wheel wells.
If its what I think it is ,is the textured surface hard and plastic like? I know my box liner is textured but soft and chalked up pretty fast

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I will say it is a firm urethane. I have used it on several build's. The Roll bar on my Dune Buggy is Raptor. At least 3 years old and still shines. And when it is out of the garage it is in Florida sun so it gets baked. I also love their single stage rattle can products better than most of the rest with the exception of Seymour Paint's Stainless steel paint and their Alumiblast. I always have their (UPOL) etching primer, weld thru primer, high build, the number 5 clear, the stain and gloss blacks in my cabinet.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.