Welding question

Discussions about general body work and modifications
lowrider91

Welding question

Post by lowrider91 »

Hello everyone. I am going to weld a small piece(2x3) on the rear quarter. I have a Millermatic 210 wire feed. I am not a welder, just a landscaper with a welding machine. My question is what kind of heat do i use on this thin metal. I don't want to warp the panel. I am cutting the patch out of bad front fender and will cut it up and practice on that before I try the patch. What size tip should i use? You guys have been a big help already. Happy to have a place to go for good info.Thanks in advance, Jim
IMG_4047.JPG
IMG_4047.JPG (72.92 KiB) Viewed 3401 times
IMG_4054.JPG
IMG_4054.JPG (65.98 KiB) Viewed 3400 times
IMG_4057.JPG
IMG_4057.JPG (83.62 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
It's like a Falcon only cooler!

bearcreekson

Re: Welding question

Post by bearcreekson »

somewhere on the miller website they have a reference guide that will help you with heat setting rcommendations, wire size etc. based on the thickness and type of metal you are welding

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

.025 wire,medium setting,move your tack welds around,DO NOT concentrate your welds in one area,work your way around the patch.For example,top left,bottom right,left side bottom,right side top,keep bouncing around the edges until you have connected all the tack welds.When it is solid grind it down;again DO NOT concentrate your heat,move your grinder around!! I like to use a cutting disc on edge to get the welds down then switch to sanding discs. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

tinnocker

Post by tinnocker »

Weld no more than 3/8" at a time. This keeps the metal from getting too hot and warping. As Roy said tack all away around the piece, skipping from one side to the other, never twice in the same area. Keep tacking until you have all the tacks about 1/8" apart. Then start connecting the tacks but weld no more than about 3/8" and stop and go to the other side and do the same. Stop and look at your work, take a deep breath and do it all again. Take your time letting the metal cool a little bit between welds. Don't worry about the looks, It will look terrible but you are going to grind it all off. As you start to grind you may see a few pin holes. Try to weld them up before you grind the metal too thin. In some places you may have not had the metal aligned just perfect when you butt welded it together. Don't grind all the way through trying to get it perfectly smooth. That is what body filler is far. Practice on a piece of scrap that is the same thickness before you start on your patch plate. Remember, you can't learn to weld by reading, it takes practice.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

ita all good advise, I'm sure someone will use it but he's probably got that patched by now :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:ita all good advise, I'm sure someone will use it but he's probably got that patched by now :D
I would surely hope so :!: BUT,you never know :!: have a good one ,poboyjo65.... :D :shock: 8) pop :roll:
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:ita all good advise, I'm sure someone will use it but he's probably got that patched by now :D
Haha someone pulled this from the grave!
Ok we want pics of the finished product 3 years later! :D

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

OOPS!!!!
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:OOPS!!!!
LOL,LOL
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

The inside corners would blow out on me some so I started saving them for last or just cut diagnally across corners on some. works for me :wink:
Johno

lowrider91

Post by lowrider91 »

Thanks guys. Been a while. Had some personal and buisness set backs the past couple years. My car has neen blasted to bare metal, metal work done and painted Black. Still up on jackstands. Sold my sleds for some engine money. 347/450 being built by Proformance Unlimited in NJ. Just got some front end stuff from Opentracker and CSRP. Took apart the 8in rear for some paint, new gears and posi unit. Tearing apart the toploader for a rebuild over the next couple weeks. When I figure out how to get pics posted I will get some on. Jim
It's like a Falcon only cooler!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Happy to hear some of the junk in life is behind and the Comet is going forward!!
Sounds like it will be a rocket!!
Have you followed the tutorial about posting pics in the Lounge?
If you dick with it for while I'm sure you'll figer it out.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about