Headlight switch install

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Al289A

Headlight switch install

Post by Al289A »

I bought my car with all the wiring stripped out and no switches. So I don't know how the switches are installed. The ignition switch has a spring behind it, but what holds the wiper and headlight switches in and tight? I have no way to know if the switches I bought off E-bay are complete or not, so would like some advise from those that know.
Thank you,
Al

popscomet

Re: Headlight switch install

Post by popscomet »

NOT for one split second am I trying to be a wise A--...but it sounds like you've never done this be fore,so it will be very hard to try to walk you thru it while telling you the parts you need and to apply them in a certain meothed,so you need to find a blown up picture or a shop manual,,,I so sorry for not being more help,,maybe someone else can come on here and speak in more of a certain direction then OLE POP can..sorry....also thank you :D pop
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Al;POP hit it right,a shop manual will help.Most of the switches use a special tool to install the bezel and each switch has a different manner of installation! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

Thanks for the reply, but I have done this before. However, that was over 30 years ago. I ran my own construction company and have long since parted with my Fords and Mercury's as time for them was lacking. I am sure it would come back to me if I knew I had all the correct parts.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AL--its like swimming or riding a bikecycle,you might get a little rusty,but you never for get,,,but a manual or a picture would be ever so helpful to your memory bank...good luck and keep us in the loop,,every one here CARES and want to be as helpful as can be,thats the neat thing about this SITE------WE CARE..thanks :D :) :) 8) pop
pop/glenda

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

Thanks for the pep talk Pops. I have a headlight switch that does not have the long metal extension that I see on other models. But the tube and knob I have are about 3 inches long, so that the thing won't tighten to the dash. Am I missing a piece, or have the wrong switch or tube and knob? The curve of the dash would imply that I need the long tube. This is my problem, I did not take the thing out so I don't know what I need to put back in. I am working on a stripped car, but making progress.
Al

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

I guess I must be missing a spacer. However, I cannot find a picture of the light switch assembly or anyone that sells the spacer I assume I need. Does anyone have answers for me?
Al

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Hang on AL am going out in shop ,short of tearing my 64 apart ,gonna see if I can get you some useful INFO :shock: pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AL ,spring on switch then a metal cup(spacer)install thru dash,from outside install locking ring(has off on start) by compressing spring while twisting ring and the key tumblers need to be out. do you know how to remove tumblers useing a stright paper clip thru tiny hole? head lite switch has tiny spring on top,compress spring while pulling knob and stem out,after stem is out,,use flat blade screw driver and unscrew retaining nut,( hope my mememory serves me correctly)if not REPOST and I'll come up with something else :shock: pop 8) but i bet money I'm right :lol:
pop/glenda

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

Yes, I have the ignition switch handled. I also have the new (used) wiper switch taken care of. I also have the cigar lighter but think I might buy a new unit. What I am not sure of is the headlight switch. I have the actual switch that plugs into the fuse block. I also have the bezel, the knob and shaft, and the 2-3/4 inch "tube" that screws into the switch. However, it looks to me like something is missing. What tightens to the back of the dash when you screw the "tube" into the switch?
Thanks for helping,
Al

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LET me do some digging,have an old switch ,will try to find tommorow and I'll see what I can come up with,don't give up on me yet :!: :shock: pop :D
pop/glenda

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

Al289A wrote:Thanks for the pep talk Pops. I have a headlight switch that does not have the long metal extension that I see on other models. But the tube and knob I have are about 3 inches long, so that the thing won't tighten to the dash. Am I missing a piece, or have the wrong switch or tube and knob? The curve of the dash would imply that I need the long tube. This is my problem, I did not take the thing out so I don't know what I need to put back in. I am working on a stripped car, but making progress.
Al
the tubing spacer is one of the things usually lost in a rebuild. mine was no exception so I just cut and used a piece of 1/2" conduit for mine. works fine.

alan
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

I found a website that has a drawing of the dash wiring. It shows a brace of some sort and it appears that the switch goes against/into this brace. Then the tube is tightened to hold it in place. Is this about right? If so I have some searching to do. My brace is missing. The previous owner did some repairs to the cowl and installed a manual shift on the floor steering column. Must have forgot or did not care to re-install the brace, or is there no brace as indicated in the drawing? Without it the weight of the switch and fuse block is supported by only the dash sheetmetal. I know the other switches are installed this way but they are not as heavy as the headlight switch. I may use your idea and cut conduit and figure out a way to add some support if needed.
Al

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Cars/1964For ... agrams.htm

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

Ok, I decided to go and look in the boxes of parts I got from the guy who sold me the car and see if I could find a bracket that looks like the one in the dash wiring drawing. Found it, looks just like the drawing. You guys must have your brackets in place. No wonder you thought I was coo koo. The bracket IS the spacer for the 2-3/4 in tube that screws into the switch and the switch tightens to the bracket.
The website I found has some useful drawings for those working on wiring.
Thanks to those who tried to help.
Al

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AL--didn't think you were KOO-COO but I thought I was going that way,trying to help ,what year of car are you working on? need anything else? post it :!: :shock: :D pop
pop/glenda