Gas tank?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Johnny Wishbone

Gas tank?

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but does anyone know where I can get a new gas tank for a 64 Comet?

Thanks, John

Groover

Re: Gas tank?

Post by Groover »

John,

I don't think there is any such thing as a "new" tank for a 64 Comet, and the other years won't fit in the 64. Crites makes a fiberglass tank that while I have no experience with, seems to get mixed reviews. Somebody on the forum may have access to a replacement tank (or ebay).

Unless yours is completely toast, many of us have had ours repaired/patched.

Good luck.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Johnny Wishbone

Thanks, my tank has a bunch of pin holes in the top and if I fill it up more than half way it stinks the whole car up. One time I took a tank in to get cleaned and it got worse when they hot tanked it and then I had no tank, so..... I'm a little nervous about going through that again.

John

alans 64

Post by alans 64 »

Johnny Wishbone wrote:Thanks, my tank has a bunch of pin holes in the top and if I fill it up more than half way it stinks the whole car up. One time I took a tank in to get cleaned and it got worse when they hot tanked it and then I had no tank, so..... I'm a little nervous about going through that again.

John
as mentioned, no 64 tanks available. some pop up occasionaly on evilbay. if you don't want to weld it up yourself take it to your local radiator shop. have them look closs at it first and express your concerns. see if they have one of the employees that is been on the job forever and he should remember back in the day when fuels tanks were done as often as radiators and maybe he can do it right. they should be able to repair it, then get it sealed and you should be good to go. heard nothing but bad about the glass tanks. some are guessing that some of the additives put in todays fuel are eating them up, maybe the ethanol. only other option it to build one or put a fuel cell in.

alan
64 Caliente 2 dr ht A/FX sold to a fellow forum member
http://www.picturetrail.com/alanan55 past & present rides
40 ford coupe sold 1979 found in garage sitting for 34 years back home again.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had mine fixed at a radiator repair shop, Then coated the inside with REDKOTE. I havent tried it yet but I believe it will be fine. I plan to use a DIY bedliner to cover the ugly top & protect it.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

there is a used one on ebay off a 65. says it looks new on inside.
Johno

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

Red-kote is the stuff! I used that on mine almost two years ago and have not had a lick of trouble. I put a bunch of chain in the tank with soapy water and rolled it around for a few hours to get all the loose rust out and then sealed it. Follow the directions and you should be good to go. I was recomended to me by a friend who used that on his fairlane almost 10 years ago and it's still OK.

Johnny Wishbone

I was able to get mine fixed up, red cote on the inside and some kind of thick black stuff on the top along with a few patches where it was leaking. Filled it up, ($72.00!) no gas smell, no leaks, perfect.