Questions about the '64 battery tray

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Groover

Questions about the '64 battery tray

Post by Groover »

So I've searched and it sounds like several of us have replaced the battery tray, but not clear about the exact replacement:

1. Best source for the original 1964 battery tray?

2. Does it have the two bolts and clamp over the top or the side clamp near the bottom to hold the battery tab?

3. Is it welded onto the fender or does it bolt on (I've seen a tray with bolt kit for sale which seems odd)?

4. If I go with the exact original sized tray, am I limiting my choices on battery size (and will I regret it one day)?

Thanks as always.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Coolball

Re: Questions about the '64 battery tray

Post by Coolball »

Interested in this information too. Have not pulled the battery yet on mine to have a look but noticed while tidying up the engine bay some scaly rust corrosion on the tray.

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

Doing a quick search I found 64 and 65 are listed as the same so I can help some. It does bolt in. I think originaly there was a hook shape tab next to fender and a hold down block next to radiator. So the block that holds the tab is on the long ends of the battery. Not sure as mine was missing. I changed to a over the top of battery style from a 68 mustang. But recenty put in an optima. And redid the mount.
Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

comethead

Post by comethead »

I got a battery tray from Autokrafters and the fit was good. The only problem I had was finding a "Group 24F" battery that had the side 'tab' for the factory type hold down bracket.
65-66 Mustangs use a similar set-up and NPD sells a bracket (that you can probably make yourself) that slides under the tray so you can use later style Ford hold-down rods and top clamp.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Groover

Post by Groover »

Thanks Joe,

That's what I was checking for. I want to go original, but not if it's going to be a pain for the rest of my days finding batteries that fit. I'll check around locally to see how many 24F batteries are around before I buy the tray. I see that Dearborn also has the "correct" battery tray for a '64.

comethead

Post by comethead »

You shouldnt have a problem finding a 24F sized battery...its finding that battery with the side tab for the hold-down. If it has a smooth side there wont be a way to retain it to the tray. Thats why I went to the later style.
I think Napa may sell a 24F with the tab...or mayber Exide? I stopped looking once I went to the rod/top clamp style.
The 67-69 Mustang top clamp doesnt look too out of place, and the tray stays original.

If you do find a new batt with the tab, put this over it and it will look right at home: http://www.cjponyparts.com/autolite-bat ... 71/p/BATC/

Joe

Groover

Post by Groover »

Ok,

http://www.calmuscleparts.com/store/FAL ... C2385.aspx

So this looks to be the exact replica of ours and based on what is being said above I think it's correct. The only question is:

1. Do we need something to clamp the battery down or is that what the extra square piece in the kit is for?

Kind of looks to me like that square piece goes underneath, rather than on the end to hold down the battery. Wouldn't the battery hold down piece be more rectangular?

Anybody have a photo?

comethead

Post by comethead »

That kit looks pretty complete, should work great if you find a correct battery. That small square bracket is the side hold down clamp.
Heres a Ford diagram for installation:

Heres what the side of your Group 24F battery should look like, the clamp fits over that ledge:

Another pic:

This kit from Virgina Classic Mustang is like what I have in my 65: http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/ ... -tray.html it uses a later style Ford top clamp.

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

One more pic for the road...correct early battery. Notice the hold-down ledge on the side:

If your really into spending money...Virgina Classic Mustang (and most early Mustang vendors) sell the repro batts:
http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/G ... P1603.aspx

Joe

comethead

Post by comethead »

Alright looks like Exide still makes a 24F with the side hold-down ledges:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/car-batter ... 60-2151085
http://www.amazon.com/BATTERY-24F-60/dp/B005132I2E

Joe