Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Discussions about general body work and modifications
Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Finally decided to cut my shock towers.

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Pulled the stock wiring harness. Took hours, but I know that was the easy part. Going to try installing the new harness next weekend.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

"EZ wire" ,"Painless Wire Harness" are just oxymoron's. Or maybe I'm too old to read text that is microscopic.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

That's one boar's nest I still get shudders thinking about :( cause mine is probably 3 times the mess yours was!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

five0merc

Post by five0merc »

Any updates? That wiring harness doesn't look too bad to me. That looks like less wiring than just my engine harness on my 2002 Lightning. Haha I'll be redoing the complete wiring harness here in mine as well.
65 comet caliente 418 windsor/t6/9"

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Damb that looks like one mess of wires. When I was doing mine I removed the underdash harness and
coiled it up with it still connected to the wires going to the back end. Mine didn't look as bad as bad as that. Should have been identical to what he pulled out.

Mine hung in a coil on the back wall untill I was done with everything and was ready to put the harness back in place. Any mods or repairs needed were done while it hung there. I added a few extra wires and stuff before it went back in place. Engine harness was not a part of it here. Very few changes were made after that.

You can see the coil hanging here.

Ron

StPro

Post by StPro »

Boss/Cyclone wrote:Pulled the stock wiring harness. Took hours, but I know that was the easy part. Going to try installing the new harness next weekend.
I like wiring on old cars. It is simple only has what is needed. Just the engine harness on my MarkVIII will but that to shame. It took me two days to remove and replace the engine harness. I hear what you are saying about fine print on aftermarket harness. I am putting a stand- alone EFI on my Mark VIII over 60 wires and I have to get out the magnifying glass to read the print on the wires.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Turned my Cyclone from a drag car back to a street car. Drove it over 2000 miles this Summer. Had only put a couple hundred on in the previous 25 years.
Attachments
IMG_4330.jpg
IMG_4330.jpg (158.02 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
cyclone.jpg
cyclone.jpg (94.23 KiB) Viewed 1392 times
cyclonerearp (1) - Edited.jpg
cyclonerearp (1) - Edited.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 1721 times
cycloneside.jpg
cycloneside.jpg (129.45 KiB) Viewed 2416 times
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

COOL!!
Great to see ya posting again.
What's under the hood,,,,, how many pedals,,,,, these and many other questions :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's what I plan for mine. A comfortable, spirited cruiser clicking off a couple of grand a year on the odometer. 8)

Jim

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Jims65cyclone wrote:That's what I plan for mine. A comfortable, spirited cruiser clicking off a couple of grand a year on the odometer. 8)

Jim
uh, you ment to say weekend right,,? :mrgreen:

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

SASSY wrote:COOL!!
Great to see ya posting again.
What's under the hood,,,,, how many pedals,,,,, these and many other questions :mrgreen:
Still a 71 Boss 351 with the old 80's Ford motorsports "studs through the valve cover" setup. Toploader 4 speed from the same Boss 351.
Attachments
cycloneengine - Edited.jpg
cycloneengine - Edited.jpg (129.49 KiB) Viewed 2317 times
Larry

DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

I just read this entire thread. Thank you all for posting it,I learned a lot. I plan on that front suspension setup but I will stay with the 289/302 engine setup for my 65 Cyclone build.
Oz never gave nothing to the tin man that he didn't-didn't already have-Image