Weld nut? Anyone have a source for these?

Discussions about general body work and modifications
umassjj

Weld nut? Anyone have a source for these?

Post by umassjj »

I'll attach a pic, but this thing is giving me fits. I know it's called a weld nut, but I can't find any of the bloody things for sale at Mac's, Dearborn Classics, Dennis Carpenter, etc. I've searched everywhere on the web and have struck out. The only thing I can think of is that I just don't have the right name. The thread size is 5/16 fine, and these pop into the radiator support panel on the front of my '64 Comet. A few different parts thread into them, a couple being the entire headlight assemblies.

I'd really like to replace these- I stripped one out finding out the hard way that these cars use coarse and fine threaded bolts in different places. Of course (no pun intended) I ran a coarse bolt into one of these and screwed it up. Help!

Jay

Groover

Re: Weld nut? Anyone have a source for these?

Post by Groover »

Would a cage nut do the same thing?

http://www.engineersupply.com/Kendall-H ... d_002_d_01
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have a partscar, how many do you need? if you cant get new ones let me know.
Johno

umassjj

Post by umassjj »

Groover, I don't think so. This one has a rectangular body behind the square one that recesses in the panel. The wider area keeps it from pulling through. I did spot those caged nuts earlier, but I can't see how they'd grab the panel the way that they're set up.

Thanks Poboyjo- I might be in the market for two of them if I can't find new ones. I appreciate it!

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I have gotten some from Grainger and McMaster Carr.Their catalogues are online. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

umassjj

Post by umassjj »

Thanks Roy!! Do you remember if they were an identical match? I think that's what is throwing me off in my search...that I can't find something that looks exactly like the original. Just looked at McMaster Carr and Grainger and this is the closest thing I can find. Looks like it would probably work-

6T5 404

Post by 6T5 404 »

AMK Products will have what you need. The problem is that Max has a $30. minimum but if you look around the catalog it isn't hard to come up with the minimum order.
www.amkproducts.com
Dave

umassjj

Post by umassjj »

BAM!!!!! Found it in about 30 seconds at AMK! Thank you for that link, 6T5404!!!!