Sedan to Hardtop

Discussions about general body work and modifications
BigH

Re: Sedan to Hardtop

Post by BigH »

Ok Guys, I didn't think it was a Hardtop as it has a B-pillar; Correct?
Riddle me this one: What defines a Caliente? Is it trim, power options or what?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

calientes have more chrome trim. a wider longer rocker trim, beltline trim under the side windows,tailpanel trim ,upholstery is more elegant, basically a more elegant car. cyclones are more sporty & shares some of the same trim on tailpanels, with more sporty upholstery & sportier grill. I think you could get most any option on any car if you special ordered it.
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Resurrecting this old thread to see if this swap was ever done? Does anyone know offhand what it would take for the rear windows to convert a 2dr post sedan into a no post hardtop? I ask because I’ll be chopping the top of my ‘64 404, and using a Caliente front windshield. I’m assuming the doors are vastly different from the sedan to the hardtop? I don’t necessarily want to do swap doors, as mine are already shaved(and HT doors probably aren’t plentiful). But if that took care of the front glass problem I’d just shave the new doors. So what the difference in the rear window crank and tracks between the sedan and HT?

I plan on keeping the sedan roof lines, and just sinking the rear window into the trunk. But I’d really like to delete the post for an even cleaner look if it’s in the realm of possibilities.

Thanks for any insight!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

RideAndShoot wrote:Resurrecting this old thread to see if this swap was ever done? Does anyone know offhand what it would take for the rear windows to convert a 2dr post sedan into a no post hardtop? I ask because I’ll be chopping the top of my ‘64 404, and using a Caliente front windshield. I’m assuming the doors are vastly different from the sedan to the hardtop? I don’t necessarily want to do swap doors, as mine are already shaved(and HT doors probably aren’t plentiful). But if that took care of the front glass problem I’d just shave the new doors. So what the difference in the rear window crank and tracks between the sedan and HT?

I plan on keeping the sedan roof lines, and just sinking the rear window into the trunk. But I’d really like to delete the post for an even cleaner look if it’s in the realm of possibilities.

Thanks for any insight!
Roy always said 2dr sedan & hardtop doors were same except for the window frame,,, hardtop doesn't have one,except around the little wing windows. he even mentioned it on the first page of this thread.

be cool if the back window could go up & down with an electric motor, like the early 60's big mercs. :D
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Thanks Johno, I figured that was the deal with the doors. What about the rear side windows?

Anyone near San Diego have a Caliente I can put some eyes on?
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

RideAndShoot wrote:Thanks Johno, I figured that was the deal with the doors. What about the rear side windows?

Anyone near San Diego have a Caliente I can put some eyes on?
Just guessing, but the sedan rear side windows look longer front to back. & would seem so, from what Roy said about sedans having same wheelbase but more cabin room than a HT.
Johno