Sedan to Hardtop

Discussions about general body work and modifications
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Sedan to Hardtop

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Your 65 is a Hardtop! Differences are Sedan has a post and is solid around the glass and is stationary,a Hardtop has NO posts and when the glass is down,nothing shows!On Comets,the sedans and hardtops DO NOT share any glass,windshield on a sedan is on a different angle as are the wind wings,back glass is more verticle and uses different glass!! The hardtop is like a convertible but with a solid roof! ROY!!
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Your 65 is a Hardtop! Differences are Sedan has a post and is solid around the glass and is stationary,a Hardtop has NO posts and when the glass is down,nothing shows!On Comets,the sedans and hardtops DO NOT share any glass,windshield on a sedan is on a different angle as are the wind wings,back glass is more verticle and uses different glass!! The hardtop is like a convertible but with a solid roof! ROY!!

Thanks a lot for the education.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

No Worries! I get asked that question all the time!! Care to tell the group about your 65? ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

* I'm throwing in an asterisk. * there is a 4dr "Caliente sedan. so ''Caliente'' doesn't necessarily mean hardtop. :D
Johno

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:No Worries! I get asked that question all the time!! Care to tell the group about your 65? ROY.
I would love to talk about my 65. It has a 289 with a floor shift c4. I am in the process of installing a manual steering rack and pinion from Unisteer. My Comet came with a GM steering column so that added a layer of unknown but I think I have overcome that. I put the steering wheel on last night and the wheels turn with the front end in the air. I will see tonight if it can stand and steer on its own four feet. The wiring has been hacked up which is the next issue to solve. Overall my goal is to have a fun long drive car. The interior is great, the body looks good and once I replace the odds and ends that can leave you stranded on the side of the road I think I will be on my way.

I am really enjoying reading the forum here and have learned a lot about the cars.

Thanks,
Trent

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;I do not recall any comments about it being only Calientes are hardtops!! I too have seen Hardtops,two and four door sedans and Converitbles!! ROY.

BigH

Post by BigH »

In my book that's a 2-door Hardtop.

BigH

Post by BigH »

Sawyer0162 wrote:Sounds like a lot of work to me.... Best of luck with it and be sure to send some pics. Would love to see the progress.
Tom
Tom, if it's too easy then there's no sense of achievement when it's finished.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:John;I do not recall any comments about it being only Calientes are hardtops!! I too have seen Hardtops,two and four door sedans and Converitbles!! ROY.
well he asked " I have a caliente, which is it?'' I was just saying that a caliente isn't necessarily a hardtop. I've never seen a 2 dr sedan caliente, didnt know they were every made.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

sure thing JOHNO...2-4-and 2drht all sold with the CAL trim pkg..in fact couple of years ago a 2dr sedan CAL belonged to someone on here.pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

popscomet wrote:sure thing JOHNO...2-4-and 2drht all sold with the CAL trim pkg..in fact couple of years ago a 2dr sedan CAL belonged to someone on here.pop
I musta missed it. I'd like to see it . couldn't have been many of them made ,could have been like Albert said once ,maybe an employee of mercury may have had one made. my illustrated facts & features manual doesn't show one nor does this site (for 65) though I have found mistakes on this site.
http://www.mercurystuff.com/1965-models/index.html

Again I'm not disputing anyone, just saying I haven't seen one.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

John;I think the 2 door sedan Caliente is a rare bird. I have only seen one and it was same color as mine and had a two tone interior!!I guess I missed his question about his Caliente,OOPS!!! ROY.

BigH

Post by BigH »

Is this the beast we're talking about ? In my book that's not a Hardtop that's 2-Door Sedan.

http://motorscloud.com/photo/mercury-co ... fault.html

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No BigH that isn't a caliente or a hardtop regardless of what they are calling it. it is a 2 dr sedan,either a 202 or a 404, but not a caliente.

most of the calientes are hardtops like mine . even the 4 dr sedan caliente are fairly rare today. you just don't see them. but they were advertised. a 2 dr sedan caliente is what the focus has shifted too, they weren't advertised from what I can tell.I have never heard mention of one until now & I have never even seen a pic of one.but I know there must be at least one out there because two men of there word said so. definitely a rare bird.
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

BigH;that is a 65,404 2 door SEDAN! I just finished one same color for a friend. ROY.