Sedan to Hardtop

Discussions about general body work and modifications
tcr

Sedan to Hardtop

Post by tcr »

Has anyone ever grafted a 64-65 Falcon hardtop, doors and glass to 65 202 2 door sedan? I know it's a serious undertaking, but I have 40 years in auto body repair and metal fab, so the skills are there. Also have two falcons that the lower bodies are pretty much junk. I believe the doors are the same but not sure about the roofs. They do look the same in pictures but I don't have access to an actual hardtop Comet to compare.
Thanks

ec164

Re: Sedan to Hardtop

Post by ec164 »

Falcon shares same roof when both are a 2dr. HT. Although now with the trunk lid you will have more time matching, maybe better off blending..........Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Pretty sure trunks are the same, I have a 4dr trunk lid in my 64 hdtop
but 65s might be different? probably need the a sail panel between the trunk lid and rear window from a hardtop Comet
With talent anything is possible.
Hope you take a stab at it and keep the pics rolling in!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

at least it will be a stand up job :lol: Not meaning any disrespect but after 40 years of body work I'd think you'd know better! :lol: :lol: just kiddin!!!!! :lol: good luck with it! :D
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Everything is different between a hardtop and a two door sedan,63.5,64 & 65 Falcon hardtops glass and roof are the same as same year Comets.All the glass is different so not sure about the rear side window tracks,the rear wheel tubbs intrude into a sedan but not in a hardtop so the rear seat 'bulkhead' is different.The deck lids are ALL the same on 65s but the panel between the trunk lid and back glass is different between the two.The hardtop doors will fit after you take the sedan roof off,the 'A' pillars are at different angles!!It is possible,but A LOT of work! ROY.
Last edited by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE on Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Roy, after reading the wheel tubs protrude into the cabin on a sedan I'm wondering if the 2dr sedan is built on a Falcon 109 wheelbase
instead of the 114 hardtop Comet?
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Fred;NO,it still has the 114"WB,just more interior room.The rear seat is moved aft about 2"-3",has the wheel tubbs through the bulkhead!! That sedan I have worked on with Will is where I noticed this for the first time!! Work on his sedan has come to a stop,his Motorcycle business has gone KRAZY [a good thing]!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

tcr

Post by tcr »

Thanks for all the input. Guess I will set them side by side and do some measuring. I have all the glass, trim, doors and more.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Thats a heck of a underTaking,,but good luck in what ever way you choose to travel....POP
pop/glenda

BigH

Post by BigH »

I'm looking at fitting the rear quarter panels, trunk opening plus lid, and rear valance from a 1960 - 61, 2-door Comet Sedan to a Falcon Hardtop of a similar year with Comet front, hood and fenders etc.
Can someone with access to a 1960 -61 Comet 2-door sedan please provide the following measurements as seen in the pic?

Body Panels
The length of the door A-B. (Blue line)
The length of the gap for the rear window B-C. (Red line)
The total length of the rear quarter panel B-D (yellow line)
The length of the section, from the rear of the door to the front of the wheel-arch B-C. (orange line)

Beltline chrome trim
The length of the section of the curved Beltline trim from the rear of the door to the join at the front of rear section of Beltline B-C (dark green line)
The length of the section of the straight Beltline from the join at the rear of the curved Beltline to the tail light C-D. (lite green line)

Many thanks, H.

Sawyer0162

Post by Sawyer0162 »

Alrighty, here goes... Length of door - 47 3/8", rear window gap - 25 1/8". (This is gap only, rear quarter extends beyond b-pillar by 3/4"). Total length of rear quarter - 82 1/2". Rear door to arch - 22".... Front piece, B-C is 28 inches and the rear piece, C-D is 54 3/8 inches.... Hope this helps
Tom

Sawyer0162

Post by Sawyer0162 »

I forgot to mention that the last 2 measurements are for the chrome belt line trim.
Sorry bout that
Tom

BigH

Post by BigH »

Hey Tom the info is just what I was looking for, many thanks.

The door beltline trim on the Australian Falcon Hardtop is 47 1/2" on a 47 7/8" long door so only about 1/2" difference there and the Comet 2-door beltline trim will fit perfectly with 1/8" of door showing at each end of the trim.
The Falcon Hardtop wheel-arch is slightly closer to the door at 18 1/2" so I'll move them 3 1/2" forward in the Comet 2-door quarter panel.
The overall distance from the trailing edge of the door to the tail-light of the Falcon Hardtop is only 71 1/2", some 11" shorter than the Comet 2-door. However a lot of that distance is Comet fin but I'll keep that total length of Comet 2-door quarter panels and extend the floor of the Falcon Hardtop inside the trunk to meet. There will be a requirement to add a filler plate at the deck between the base of the Falcon Hardtop rear windshield and the leading edge of the Comet 2-door trunk opening. Shouldn't be a major problem (famous last words).

The rear side window slots are no longer an issue as I've decided to use the Australian Falcon Hardtop body and the rear side windos with the American Comet 2-door, quarter panels, rear valance, rear deck and trunk lid.

Cheers, BigH.

Sawyer0162

Post by Sawyer0162 »

Sounds like a lot of work to me.... Best of luck with it and be sure to send some pics. Would love to see the progress.
Tom

thrnelson

Post by thrnelson »

I am new to the Comet world and cannot figure out what the difference is between a 2dr sedan and a 2dr hardtop. I have a Caliente, which would it be?