65 fender extensions, OMG

Discussions about general body work and modifications
cam shaft

65 fender extensions, OMG

Post by cam shaft »

We are trying to get the little 65 project finished. So, we are kind of stuck with the fender extensions. We have gathered up 3 pairs, and they all look like they are not for a 65 Comet. We have tweaked, twisted, prayed, sacrificed much beer and knuckles trying to get an acceptable fit, but they still look like they don't belong. After viewing some other 65's, we are beginning to think that this may be something we will have to live with. We are not really inclined to do too much metal finishing on the pot metal, so are there any super secret tips, directions, or magical potions any one would be willing to share that might help us improve this fit?

Thank you

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: 65 fender extensions, OMG

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

As you have found,they are castings that do not fit well! On both my 65s I mounted them so the critical areas match the hood and fender,then have blended them to the fender tops.It is not hard,if I can do it anyone can,and left them removable! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

If you read auto magazines from that period you will see that Mercury sucked at fitment. Brand new cars were hammered for it.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The fender extensions don't always fit well and do get damaged. Some straightening of the sides can sometimes helps. If you can't find good ones a little body filler can help. Mine don't fit perfectly but did the best i could to install them without looking bad.
Ron

Loner

Post by Loner »

I just straightened a fender on my 65 and the extension didn't fit perfect either. I had to buy another extension the one on the car was shot. Before I paint the new one I'm going to experiment with the old one and a old fender to see if I can lead up the crack. I'm not sure the lead will stick well to the pot metal but it is worth a try.

Matt

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

Okay then, I guess it is what it is and we will fit them up as best we can.
Thank you

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

cam shaft wrote:We are trying to get the little 65 project finished. So, we are kind of stuck with the fender extensions. We have gathered up 3 pairs, and they all look like they are not for a 65 Comet. We have tweaked, twisted, prayed, sacrificed much beer and knuckles trying to get an acceptable fit, but they still look like they don't belong. After viewing some other 65's, we are beginning to think that this may be something we will have to live with. We are not really inclined to do too much metal finishing on the pot metal, so are there any super secret tips, directions, or magical potions any one would be willing to share that might help us improve this fit?

Thank you
Mine didn't fit well either. Fit them the best I could and I just skimmed them and a couple low spots on fender side of the ext/fender gap with filler.

Then blocked it out.

Repeat as needed.

End result

Where I spread the filler over fender and ext seam I took a razor blade down the seam before it set so the plastic didn't bond them together. Where the fender didn't need filler I just covered with tape. They fit really nice now.

Lou

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

nicely done !!!
thank you