Can I fit 15×8 Magnum Wheels on the rear of a 1965 Comet Convertible?

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Pete.M

Can I fit 15×8 Magnum Wheels on the rear of a 1965 Comet Convertible?

Post by Pete.M »

Hello my name is Pete and I would like to install a set of 15x8 Magnum Wheels on the back of my 1965 comet convertible. I was wondering if this fits without any cutting or bending and if so what's the widest Tire I can use with that sized rim ? I've seen plenty other articles similar to this but they all seem to go a stray without finding the answer I need, so hopefully this time I'll get my answer. Thank you everyone

poboyjo65

Re: Can I fit 15×8 Magnum Wheels on the rear of a 1965 Comet Convertible?

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'd say yes*- wheels with proper back space.
Johno

Pete.M

Post by Pete.M »

Thank you, is that what you have on the blue Comet in the pic?

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I don't have a link to his build thread handy but that car had a MASSIVE amount of changes!!
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

No mine are 15x10 wheels but like Fred said I did a lot of changes, moved the frame rails in & widened the wheel tubs. But for a factory car it would depend on the back space , & getting the right backspace on the wheel of choice can be tricky .& probably need to remove the axle bump stops on the inside of wheel well. you may need to go to a 15x7 if you cant get the right back space in the wheel you want. but I think a 15x8 rim would fit if everything was proper. & if you cant get the proper backspace the rear axle could be shortened. but all depends on what you are willing to do & spend to make it happen.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

First, welcome aboard, Pete! :D
The answer to your question isn't straight forward. As far as what's the biggest tire you can fit on a 8"x15" rim, it looks like about a 295/50 according to this calculator:
https://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre ... calculator
At least that's what I could tell monkeying with it for a few minutes. Play around and see what you can figure out.

Whether that will fit your car, the answer is no without modification. What will fit without mods depends on the wheel backspace, wheel offset and the stance of your car. The rear wheel well is tapered as it goes up, so it depends on where the tire sits in the well. I have 15x7 wheels with 3.75" BS and 235/60/15's on the back of mine, but my car has a fairly high stance. I have about 1/2" clearance between the tire and the wheel well lip on the outside. A car with a lower stance probably couldn't run that set up without going to a larger backspace.

Read through this thread for some insight into the tire/wheel journey of several guys on here.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13512

Jim

Sugarmaker

Post by Sugarmaker »

Pete,
Welcome! Would love to see some pictures of your convertible! Those tires may be a stretch as others have mentioned. I think you will find the right rim backspacing and minor mods to get them on your car.
Regards,
Chris and Cheryl