1963 Comet Custom 2 dr. hardtop coupe ...new member

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Flip

Re: 1963 Comet Custom 2 dr. hardtop coupe ...new member

Post by Flip »

I hope to be able to post a couple of pics a friend took of the car this evening with the help of someone who understands how to do such! And, with her help I can hopefully
get a comet build threat started.

Flip

Post by Flip »

I still have not had time to get someone to help me post the few pics I have at this time. Hopefully Monday I will be able to.

One thing which appears to be impossible to find, either in good used condition or aftermarket is the Tail Light Housing Seal which is not to be confused with the gasket that is between the housing and the red plastic lenses. The housing seal is on the other side of the housing...and looks like a big black donut. The four that were on my car originally have deteriorated a lot. I understand the seal is important in keeping moisture out and also keeping road vibration to a minimum. But, the seals I have are so old they are as hard as bricks. Some folks at another site made suggestions such as ...soak the seals in mineral oil....or spray DynaMat on them....or use a 3 m product commonly called Dum Dum...but for the life of me, I don't see how any of that can revive the original seals. No matter how pliable they may be temporarily, I don't think they would fit flush with the housing and to the automobile. Has anybody run into this problem?

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

Flip wrote:I still have not had time to get someone to help me post the few pics I have at this time. Hopefully Monday I will be able to.

One thing which appears to be impossible to find, either in good used condition or aftermarket is the Tail Light Housing Seal which is not to be confused with the gasket that is between the housing and the red plastic lenses. The housing seal is on the other side of the housing...and looks like a big black donut. The four that were on my car originally have deteriorated a lot. I understand the seal is important in keeping moisture out and also keeping road vibration to a minimum. But, the seals I have are so old they are as hard as bricks. Some folks at another site made suggestions such as ...soak the seals in mineral oil....or spray DynaMat on them....or use a 3 m product commonly called Dum Dum...but for the life of me, I don't see how any of that can revive the original seals. No matter how pliable they may be temporarily, I don't think they would fit flush with the housing and to the automobile. Has anybody run into this problem?
Haven't taken mine off yet to check, but I would imagine that most of those seals could be cut out from a blank sheet or rubber material. I know it wouldn't be original, but it would be functional.
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto