Hi All! New, excited, novice here with a 64 cyclone

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Pepe

Hi All! New, excited, novice here with a 64 cyclone

Post by Pepe »

Hi everyone, I just registered this evening. A little about myself, I'm 38, live in central Ca and have been here all my life. Married and just had a baby boy a month ago. I've always had love for mercury and ford cars. My first car was a 67 Cougar when I just had a driver's permit, then a 67 Mustang, then a 66 Mustang. All three within 3 years, selling one off before buying the next of course. Then a long break and now just getting back into these cars. Back when I had 66, my friend's older brother had a 64 cyclone and fell in love with the body style immediately. A few years ago I purchased one (carnival red) out of VA, enjoyed it for a couple of years, then realized I wanted to build my own. So off it went to a buyer in MN. Shortly after I found a roller in a Southern Ca VERY solid all around with just surface rust mainly. I've been buying parts over the last couple of years and just now getting ready to start working on it, tearing it down, get body work done and start putting it together, doing what I can. This will def be at least a 5 year project so as to not break the bank, and not make the wife too angry :). I also have a 66 mustang that I purchased from an auction w/salvaged title as it was wrecked. Plan is to use the 289 and 4 speed on the cyclone. It also came with front power disk brakes, headers, magnaflow exhaust, rear traction bars, and nice set of wheels with new tires. I also just sold my 67 f100. Do you notice my love for Ford and Mercury (my daily is an f150 :D ) Anyway, I'll share some pictures. I look forward to learning from everyone here and already enjoying reading some of the other threads. I'm really a novice when it comes to all this and pretty clueless about a lot of stuff, so I'm glad I came across this forum.

Thanks in advance everyone. Here are some pics...

My roller:

64 carnival red that I bought in VA, now in MN

66 mustang, donor?

67 f100 recently sold:

SASSY

Re: Hi All! New, excited, novice here with a 64 cyclone

Post by SASSY »

Hey Pepe, welcome! looking forward to your build. Like the stock car color, red is so over done but I cant see me ever changing mine.
Sounds like you have a good plan as far as using the 'stang for parts.
And pics right off, thats the way we like it
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

You've done well , GRASSHOPPER,and your at the place to be when it comes to the COMET.....your pic's are great and so's your choice of brands...good luck !!! POP
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

Thanks for info and pics, like your choice in vehicles, you can get all the Comet knowledge and friendship right here!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D nice assortment! too bad we cant keep em all right? :lol: :lol:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Welcome to the forum, you are a man of refined taste.

Can't wait to see your build how ever long it takes.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL pop came back and took another look at your stuff,,that drive shaft in the front seat sure looks like a 4whdr shaft kinda sorta,,I like the truck,they always had a tight cab,doors seemed to shut tight as a coffin,,,,anyway....good luck with the 64...by the looks of things pic'rd you ain't gonna have much trouble....but just in case you do....post your headaches and someone will get you some relief......and welcome to the best place to be involved with when it comes to friends,,friendly jokeing and help on a mercury comet,,,,,good luck and take care and most of all CONGRATS ON THE NEW BABY BOY !!!!!! ol pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for information and encouragement for your build. You're off to a good start with the pics, so keep it up. Start a build thread so we can see it all from start to finish. We want to see it all....the good, bad and ugly, as Pop has been known to say. :lol:
Jim

Pepe

Post by Pepe »

Thanks everyone, I'll start the build thread soon. I took the doors off and apart yesterday and took them to the body shop for strip prep and primered. I'm having them take everything down to bare metal. The fenders and front bumper balance has been done already. When I picked them up they had been primed.

Is there a dealer that goes between the primer and bare metal? I've read about epoxy sealer.

Thanks again...pics coming soon.

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Welcome aboard. You are in the right place for all things Comet. Like Pop said nice choice In brands. Can't wait to see your build thread, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That first pic looks like the twin I beams from the F-100 laying in the car,,, did you put lowering axles on the truck ? if so how did they drive? any better? same?
Johno

Pepe

Post by Pepe »

poboyjo65 wrote:That first pic looks like the twin I beams from the F-100 laying in the car,,, did you put lowering axles on the truck ? if so how did they drive? any better? same?

Hi there,

That pic was one the seller sent to me and not from my f100. I didn't drive the f100 prior to putting on the lowering I beams. However, the guy that just bought it said he really likes how it drives with the lowering kit (i beams, hangers and shackles.

regards,

J

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Thanks! I've been wanting to do that to my dentside, it's a bit too high.
http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/poboy ... sort=3&o=0
did you have to alter the rear shock hangers,or get shorter shocks? did it use same coils & shocks in front?
Johno