Howdy from Arkansas

Let everyone know a little about yourself
poboyjo65

Re: Howdy from Arkansas

Post by poboyjo65 »

You seem to be a guy who if he wants it bad enough he can make it work somehow. It can be done but just not a walk in the park. the problem is where the stock lever comes off the column is right in the way. the borgeson is too close to the firewall. maybe if the lever was inside the cab & high enough to be out of the brake pedals way & cable operated. I did the borgeson & wanted the rag joint to buffer the vibes, it lands right where the firewall is,half in half out. so I had to make a can to cover it. a solid coupler would fit in the column tube with added vibrations as a side effect. just so you know, a ford rag joint wont fit the splines of the borg & the hoses are mm or odd so using their rag & hoses is what I did after unsuccessful searches of the correct fittings. but I refused to use the gm lookin pump that they sell ,I used a ford pump.
Imagefree image uploading
Imagescreengrab
Johno

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

I see exactly what you are saying! Thanks for the pics! I like the thought of that unit, but I don't like the joint that close. Total Control Products has a r&p kit that says it can use factory column. It bolts on in place of the brace under engine. I wondered about it too. I'm a long way from that stage, just trying to get ideas on stuff first so I can be gathering parts. Yes, I'm one that has sometimes made stuff work just to prove I could, lol. My old 66 truck has the 460 mated to the original 4spd with an 86 bell housing. I wanted to stay linkage on the clutch so that hydraulic sucker got some remachining and some linkage fabbing. Not to mention the 1/4" steel plate 1 piece bedfloor!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'm not so sure Total control is correct. from what I have heard . for a R&P you need to turn down the ujoint just barely out of the firewall or it is too sharp of an angle to the rack. maybe a 3pc shaft but that would be more expensive & aggravating. They may be talking about a mustang which has more room than a comet/falcon.a comet doesn't have an under engine brace to replace like a mustang. Just remember they are selling, not installing so research it good before you decide. also a rack & pinion you loose your sharp turning radius.
Johno

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

That's what I'm afraid of. The sales pitch from someone that has never installed 1! Been bit a couple of times on other folks projects with the "oh, it fits perfectly" sales pitch! It is why I hate kits. Just got through with a "kit" to put a spike air breather on a bike. They told the guy it bolts right on. Yeah, after I made an aluminum adapter block!!!! That's why I wanna talk to guys that have been there, done that!!!