Howdy from Arkansas

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Bulldog

Howdy from Arkansas

Post by Bulldog »

Hello. New to these cars. Hope I don't bug everybody to death. Got a 65 wagon for my daughter. From what I'm understanding rather optioned out.

poboyjo65

Re: Howdy from Arkansas

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on ! we'd love to see it!! :D
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Welcome aboard. Don't see too many wagons, so let's see some photos:

Here's how if you haven't found it already
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2448

Please....... :D :D :D :D :D
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

As soon as I get a chance, I'll see if I can't figure it out. The car had factory air, auto, locking glove box, windshield washers, and interval wipers. Is a fairly loaded car. Got questions about the wipers, and looking for taillight lenses!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELCOME BULLDOG !! just now got home and turned this machine on,,,and by GOLLY Ms MOLLY,,,TELL me how far from JACKSONVILLE you are..maybe we can get together....your at the only place to be when help is needed on a comet.............you don't see many wagons....POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Welcome. Would like to see pics of the wagon. Has some nice features. Lots of info from those here. Taillight lenses for wagons hard to find.
Ron

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

I'm not too far. I'm in Bald Knob if you know that end of 67/167. Glad to find somebody on here so close! I'm mainly a truck guy myself. The wagon is what my daughter picked. Insisted it had to be a 65 Comet!!! Kid has taste I must say. I've got some used lenses found, just all WAY out of state. I'm finding that the 65 wagons are kinda scarce. Not wanting to make a show car, but a nice driver she can be proud of. Thinking a 302, maybe early 80's AOD, DEFINITELY power brakes and steering, plus that factory air. Wants to do 60's hot rod.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HAD kinfolk yrs ago that lived at worden,,have a couple of lost cousins still in and about BALD KNOB....THANKS pop
pop/glenda

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Ok, if you know where Wordon is.....I grew up on Green Tom Lake. Ask some of those kin if they know the guy that drives the red primer 66 F250 stepside or the big Blue v8 trike!! Oh, and I'll warn everybody now. I want to put these things on the car, but I hate kits!!! I prefer to use factory parts for a driver, even if I have to make adapters or brackets. I'm a tool & die maker plus wrench on anything! Sick right now, but as soon as get better we have to get together Pop!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Bulldog wrote:Ok, if you know where Wordon is.....I grew up on Green Tom Lake. Ask some of those kin if they know the guy that drives the red primer 66 F250 stepside or the big Blue v8 trike!! Oh, and I'll warn everybody now. I want to put these things on the car, but I hate kits!!! I prefer to use factory parts for a driver, even if I have to make adapters or brackets. I'm a tool & die maker plus wrench on anything! Sick right now, but as soon as get better we have to get together Pop!
that's just great with OL POP..........you build that comet the way you want to,,BUT ,,,AS LONG AS IT FORD ALL THE WAY,,NO CHEVY JUNK.....I HAVE A 1966 F100 SWB WITH A 390 IN IT,,it's a everyday driver.....
pop/glenda

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

Absolutely!! No chivie junk on my FOMOCO!!! My 66 has a 76 460, with a 77 big disc brake front end, 69 camper special rear. Ford power brakes and steering. T18 Borg Warner trans. She is my hoss!! Hoping to make the Comet just as tough and reliable.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, Bulldog! Plenty of help here just for the asking.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

we need a truck section! Has been mentioned before, a truck section would be cool with me. most guys have an old truck, or want one.

A 65 manual steering car is the best handling car of the early comets. I know you said you hate kits but CSRP has a complete disc brake kit & has the best price. even though it isnt fomoco parts it has Kelsey Hayes/mustang type 4 piston calipers , rotors & pads, caliper brackets to fit your 65 spindles,dual MC,bearings & grease,braided hoses,adj proportion valve & mount bracket,even has red & blue locktight. Only thing the kit doesn't have is fluid & new hardlines. I have the first manual kit & I really dont see any need for power brakes, it has an easy pedal ,but there is a power kit for auto trans cars like yours. I think this is one kit you would like.

Electric power assist steering can be installed from junkyard parts for 100 bucks or so if your steering box is still useable, but you would need to move to a floor shift. Even a new intergrated hydr. PS box would need a floor shift without some crafty innovation like a cable or something. Stock Ps is another option but the centerlink isn't reproduced & isn't the best way to go but more of a bolt on.

Aod will need some tunnel mods, a BFH may get you enough room if you can swing it :lol: .

My car has those wipers, though I have not hooked that part up yet. They have a feature that speeds up the wipers when you speed up as in to pass a car. it senses loss of vacuum,as when you accelerate it overrides the delayed setting.when vacuum goes back up wipers slow back down to where you had them set. does your car have a vac governor on the firewall?
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BULLDOG,,there's you a truck load of advice and help ,from JOHNBOY already,,and you ain't been on here a few hrs......JOHN will steer you correct when it comes to steering ....pop
pop/glenda

Bulldog

Post by Bulldog »

I've been researching the disc brake thing. I've looked at the kit you are talking about. If I have to go with a kit, it is for sure in the lead. I'm really thinking power brakes and power steering because this is going to be driven by a little girl that is just beginning to drive. I was looking at the Borgeson unit. Can it not be made to work with the factory column shifter? There is another rack and pinion setup I was looking at (can't think of name right now) that said works with the factory column
I guess these all mean floor shift columns??? I but a C6 in a 70 Cougar 1 time with a factory floor shift. When I got done it shifted, worked the factory steering wheel lock, and had a kick down cable. Was a TOTAL pain, but made it happen. Got a cable operated locker in my truck, so I'm good with making cable operation if have to. Yes mine has the governor on the firewall. Haven't tackled that just yet. Thanks already guys! Learning about the car quickly!!