New member from KY

Let everyone know a little about yourself
six4sprint

New member from KY

Post by six4sprint »

Hello, my name is Scott and I'm a fresh Comet owner. I just picked up a 1964 4 door Caliente K code car, it's optioned with factory AC and power steering. It has less than 40k miles and is an unmolested cream puff. I'm not New to the platform, my other car is a 1964 Falcon Sprint that is highly modified including 4 wheel disc brakes, Holley fuel injected 302, and Ridetech front end.

I joined the forum in hopes of learning more about my Comets options and how many 4 door K codes were produced.

popscomet

Re: New member from KY

Post by popscomet »

WELCOME SCOTT,the k code in a comet just means it has a 4bbl 289,,210 hp...that's all !! it ain't a hi-po !
pop/glenda

six4sprint

Post by six4sprint »

Thanks for the reply Pop! I knew that Comets never came with 271 hp solid lifter hi-po. However I was under the impression that a Super Cyclone 289 optioned 4 door Calente is still fairly rare? Are Comet "K" codes simply common?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

six4sprint wrote:Thanks for the reply Pop! I knew that Comets never came with 271 hp solid lifter hi-po. However I was under the impression that a Super Cyclone 289 optioned 4 door Calente is still fairly rare? Are Comet "K" codes simply common?
yes-sir,,,my 64 cal 2drht is k-code,,,,pwr steering,pwr drum brks,AC and ATRANNY,WHEN NEW,restored it that way for the 1st 5,000 or so miles...it was to boreing for me to drive,so I gathered up all factory pieces and converted it over to a top loader 4spd,done away with all the pwr and ac,redone the orig engine with 2x4's,changed out the cam ,added a pete Jackson gear drive,full MSD ign,tri y headers and a 8in 3.43 factory posi unit from a 76 mustang cobra,,now it's fun to drive and has been for 20 yrs plus
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on ! :D Rumor is there were at least 5-6 comets in 64 that had the 271hp hipo & the durability run @ daytona had some I think. About 90 hipos were sold in 65.

Post up some pics of your ride, we'd love to see it!! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:Welcome on ! :D Rumor is there were at least 5-6 comets in 64 that had the 271hp hipo & the durability run @ daytona had some I think. About 90 hipos were sold in 65.

Post up some pics of your ride, we'd love to see it!! :D
I bet none made it into a 4door,I always was under the belief the 64;s at Daytona were just the 4bbl 289...but of course I stand to be corrected....my memorie bank suffers from a robbery once in awhile :shock: :wink: :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

pop is gonna correct hisself,,I just looked it up...the 4 comets that went to Daytona were 289 271 hp,4spd's,and they were all intact inside right down to the radio *( for driver comfort,to help with boredom)*,,1 car had to drop out due to a valve spring at 75,000 miles......hey!! I have been wrong before,JOHN,,,,,,, 8) :wink: :) :!:
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I remember the valve spring, but even though it wasn't counted, they slapped in a new spring & finished with the rest of them. & I think one car averaged about 125 mph & the rest @ 100 mph. But reserve the right to stand corrected. :lol:

& then there was the safari race, you know they had the hipos, Fran Hernandez was over that team.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAT ARTICAL said the average speed was 105 mph...and that brken val spring was repaired and the car went on to finish,but was DQ'd
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Ok I looked it up. there was a 5th comet there that averaged 124.4 mph for 10,000 miles. I knew I had read that one went about 125mph but just not for as far. I bet he got done in just a few days! :D
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I believe the car with the broken valve spring was the red one.
Which is why red is the most common colour for 64's.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard, six4sprint! Let's get this thread back to you and your car. :roll: Show us pics of your ride. We thrive on those. You'll have to use a photo hosting site like photobucket or postimage. Here's how to do it.
http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... f=1&t=2448
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL JIM,can you tell him how many K code 4door comets were built and their options ??I sure hope you can cause I can't !! :roll: :roll: POP :!: :wink:
pop/glenda

albert

Post by albert »

Welcome to the Forum where you can find it all, a good place to spend time when your bored or lonely and you can also get a whole lot of info on Comets
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:WELL JIM,can you tell him how many K code 4door comets were built and their options ??I sure hope you can cause I can't !! :roll: :roll: POP :!: :wink:
Well, I can tell him there were 20,337 4-door Calientes built.
As for the rest of it....
six4sprint...do you mind giving us the Warranty Plate (door) and VIN numbers. They won't tell all, but will shed some light.
Jim