New comet owner

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Bluecollar comet

New comet owner

Post by Bluecollar comet »

Hello comet fans. I bought a 62 comet yesterday for my teenage son who wanted a classic for his first car. The body is rust free and living in new england thats rare. So rare i forgot to ask which engine it had. I dont have it home yet but have the vin. Is there a website i can use to decode the vin and see what we got? Thanks !

redhotcomet

Re: New comet owner

Post by redhotcomet »

Unless its been changed, it'll be a 144 or a 170 inline 6. Physically the same size, both gutless.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

redhotcomet wrote:it'll be a 144 or a 170 inline 6. Physically the same size, both gutless
I have a 170 that is not too shabby, and it is the original motor, but it has had a little tweaking :roll:

It will be a great car for a teenage boy, I got mine at 17 and have been enamored for life with my little Comet, I did get it to 95mph once (pre-updates), that was scary/fun with the original front suspension (which it still has), sketchy drum brakes and skinny little tires (some may have even been bias ply, I used whatever I could get)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Loner

Post by Loner »

I did get it to 95mph once (pre-updates), that was scary/fun with the original front suspension (which it still has), sketchy drum brakes and skinny little tires (some may have even been bias ply, I used whatever I could get)

That sure brings back some memories :shock: remember going to work real early on the cold mornings with those bias ply tires, quite a few miles to get them round again. Drum brakes with the drums turned so many times that there was no way from keeping them from getting warped,no power steering but still had a speed knob on the wheel, no power brakes,block of wood for a E-brake, had to prime the engine most mornings with leaded gas that made the tail pipe white and wind shield wiper blades that were years old and still worked fine.

Matt