Long time Cyclone fan

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Ghostrider 67

Long time Cyclone fan

Post by Ghostrider 67 »

Hello. I'm gathering knowledge and locations of my next project which will be a 65 Cyclone. One i'm interested in has this info on the door card.

63E 5 89 9C 84 A 5
warranty # 5J27A503806
So, what exactly is a DSO code 84? ( Home Office) means what?

I'm also a MOPAR fan and have a 67 Coronet in the garage now that is just about ready for paint and reassembly. So i'm getting a head start on the Cyclone info and knowledge so I end up with a real Cyclone and not a clone. My names Randy, i'm 60 yrs old and retired military, combat vet. I live in Vermont but will go anywhere in the USA to acquire the Cyclone I want. I'm really just doing research right now. I want to mail down once and for all the skinny on the real Cyclones and the numbers for packages and codes for options. While I have been doing this research on line already, I am still getting different info from various sources. I figure this forum will be the definitive source. At least I hope so. :D

poboyjo65

Re: Long time Cyclone fan

Post by poboyjo65 »

Welcome on! :D From what I understand the DSO is where the car was ordered from.
the third & forth number in the warranty # (vin) is 27, which is a cyclone.
here is a decoder;
http://www.mercurystuff.com/1965-comet- ... ation.html
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Welcome aboard! Here's a decoder for just the VIN #. When you find what you're looking for, you can get all the advice and help you need right here. Jim

Ghostrider 67

Post by Ghostrider 67 »

Thanks Jim! I am a seasoned restorer/ hot rodder and pretty much have it nailed on most stuff, but, there will be questions Cyclone/ Mercury specific! I did have a 63 S-22 back in the early 90's that I turned into a roadster and that was fun. So i'm not totally without Comet experience. I was just trying to understand the whole home office thing. Does that mean the buyer called Mercury directly and ordered the car?

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

DSO 84 was the code for any employee, contractor or vender to Ford Motor company ordering a car for purchase or lease using the employee or vender discount. Some say a few promotion/give away cars were ordered thru this code, but 99% of the code 84 cars were just cars purchased or leased with the employee/vender discount

A 6 digit dso is more interesting ( first2 digits the dso code, last 4 the special order #) as it would be a car special ordered with something not on the standard order form. Or something standard that was deleted. For example if someone ordered one with the hipo, a dash pad delete, non standard color, etc

Good luck with your search!

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Welcome aboard! Here's a decoder for just the VIN #. When you find what you're looking for, you can get all the advice and help you need right here. Jim
Jim I think you forgot something. :lol:

Randy look for the 27 on the vin.The vin can be found on the top of the apron,between the shock tower & rad support, driver side. it should match the vin (warranty#) on the door tag. There are a couple hidden vins on the tops of the aprons,above the shock towers, but the fenders & possibly seam sealer cover them up.

& Thank you for your military service! :D
Johno

Ghostrider 67

Post by Ghostrider 67 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Jims65cyclone wrote:Welcome aboard! Here's a decoder for just the VIN #. When you find what you're looking for, you can get all the advice and help you need right here. Jim
Jim I think you forgot something. :lol:

Randy look for the 27 on the vin.The vin can be found on the top of the apron,between the shock tower & rad support, driver side. it should match the vin (warranty#) on the door tag. There are a couple hidden vins on the tops of the aprons,above the shock towers, but the fenders & possibly seam sealer cover them up.

& Thank you for your military service! :D
Lou and poboy, thanks for your replies. I will look when the time comes. Your welcome for my military service! I served 30 years in the US Army, In combat aviation.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

poboyjo65 wrote:Jim I think you forgot something. :lol:
Well, Duh! Try this: http://www.tpocr.com/lincolnvin5.html

I also forgot to thank you for your service. I have a good friend/fishing buddy who was Army Infantry in Vietnam in the late 60's. He said he had unbounded respect for the chopper pilots who flew into hot spots to evac the wounded, and the pilots that provided them close air support in a tight spot. Don't know what you flew, but I respect all our veterans who put their lives on the line for our country.
Jim

Ghostrider 67

Post by Ghostrider 67 »

AH-64D Apache ( LONGBOW) Attack Recon gunships. Was last in Iraq in 2010.