New to the forum

Let everyone know a little about yourself

New to the forum

Postby smithhe » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi guys just made an account for this forum today I’m really glad I found it, never knew so many people were as crazy about comets as I am! I have a 1964 Mercury comet 404 with a 289 and 3 speed automatic I got as my first car back when I was 15, fast forward 5 years and I want to make the car the beast it deserves to be, I’m having a hard time deciding if I want o keep it original(it’s about 85%original) or do what I’ve always wanted to do and upgrade everything underneath including the engine and transmission and keep the outside looking original as possible almost like a sleeper track car, let me know what you guys think and throw out any ideas for some good companies to use, thanks!
smithhe
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: New to the forum

Postby poboyjo65 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Welcome on! most on here will say ''build it like you want it''. :D
Image
347, 4sp, 9''
JOHNO
poboyjo65
 
Posts: 4897
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 pm
Location: Camden, Tenn.

Re: New to the forum

Postby lavron » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

smithhe wrote:I’m having a hard time deciding if I want o keep it original(it’s about 85%original) or do what I’ve always wanted to do and upgrade everything underneath including the engine and transmission and keep the outside looking original as possible almost like a sleeper track car


Look through some of the build threads on here and see if anything catches your fancy, but over that I agree with John, do it how you want.

See Ya,
Mike
64 Comet 202 Sedan, My first car, I have owned it since 1979!
Image
Restoration/Upgrade on a BUDGET - Working on; 250-6, T-5, 8.8 LSD, MII, Air Ride - Whatever I do it will be awesome!
User avatar
lavron
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2775
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:17 am
Location: Missouri, Ozarks way North

Re: New to the forum

Postby tomb22 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:44 pm

Welcome aboard. There's guys here who want all original and guys that want something different.
I want my 65 to look original but I want it to be a daily driver, so I resto-modded it. I want it to drive like a late model vehicle.
Tom
Image
tomb's 65
tomb22
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: New to the forum

Postby popscomet » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:35 pm

what good is it being like it was in 64 ??? build that damn thing just the way you want it.....if you want a grocery getter,,,then build it that way....but if you want something to rattle the rods from a red light ,then build it accordingly///that's my take on it !! aND OL POP is 70 yrso…..but still the same hot rodder as I was yrs ago///build it so's it'll spin the tires a 100 ft,if it don't .pull over and work on it till it will...……...OL POP (still driving race cars at 70)……………………….
Image
pop/glenda
popscomet
 
Posts: 8078
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:19 pm
Location: Jacksonville, Arkansas

Re: New to the forum

Postby smithhe » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:53 am

Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it, I think my plan is to make it a reliable street machine that I can take to auto cross events and do hot rod power tour and other various events, I’ll be sure to make a build thread once I start acquiring the parts :D :D
smithhe
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: Southern Maryland

Re: New to the forum

Postby Jims65cyclone » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:22 pm

smithhe wrote:Thanks for the input guys I really appreciate it, I think my plan is to make it a reliable street machine that I can take to auto cross events and do hot rod power tour and other various events, I’ll be sure to make a build thread once I start acquiring the parts :D :D

Welcome aboard! Sounds like you figured it out. 8) Like Lavron said, probably the best thing you can do to get ideas is to go through some of the build threads in the 64-65 Comets forum. There are a lot of good builds in there. And we'll all be interested in following your build thread when you get started. And, by the way, we love pics. They're worth a thousand words, you know. :wink:
Jim
Image

15x7x3.75BS TTII's all around
215/65/15 front, 235/60/15 rear
User avatar
Jims65cyclone
 
Posts: 1203
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:29 pm
Location: Lexington, SC

Re: New to the forum

Postby BJB » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:07 am

smithhe wrote:Hi guys just made an account for this forum today I’m really glad I found it, never knew so many people were as crazy about comets as I am! I have a 1964 Mercury comet 404 with a 289 and 3 speed automatic I got as my first car back when I was 15, fast forward 5 years and I want to make the car the beast it deserves to be, I’m having a hard time deciding if I want o keep it original(it’s about 85%original) or do what I’ve always wanted to do and upgrade everything underneath including the engine and transmission and keep the outside looking original as possible almost like a sleeper track car, let me know what you guys think and throw out any ideas for some good companies to use, thanks!


We have a race series down here called Touring Masters where old Mustangs Camaros Falcons race around..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YA1ipIULYg



..on the surface they look stockish but underneath they have been retrofitted with better brakes and running gear. They have a great following and remind me of what used to be the norm rather than these contrived equal racer series. I like your concept as a sleeper, Best thing you can do is to fit disc brakes, power rack and pinion steering, etc ..... it will be a better car on the road and able to mix it with modern traffic...
"I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains,..enough with the floods already..."
BJB
 
Posts: 823
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:49 pm
Location: Terra Australis (Down under to the Yanks)


Return to Introduce Yourself

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest