64 Caliente

Let everyone know a little about yourself
Al2006

64 Caliente

Post by Al2006 »

Hello All,
I am Al , and I own a 64 Caliente. I bought it as a mostly complete car, basically a shell with it's parts in boxes. The previous owner had put in front floorboard patch panels that are of acceptable work. For the most part the body did not need much work, so the previous owner patched with metal and put a beginners 10 ft. paint job on it. It has been converted with Granada brakes front and rear with a dual master. The last owner also put in a homemade frame tie that looks good, but I will need to touch up his welding. It has a 1974 302 with a T-5 (and the S-10 tail housing) but has never been completed to run. The owner pulled the whole interior, dashboard, heater and every wire out of the car, so I have slowly been installing new. I am wiring for an alternator. I need to adjust the windows to seal, as the owner put new weather stripping in all. All are hard as heck to role up or down. New Windshield seal leaked, but I think I have that fixed now. He installed a new rear window seal, but I'm not sure that it should be so thick, it holds the chrome out about 3/8 inch. I will eventually get the car put together to drive, but keep finding monkey rigged work(like the motor mounts on backward and installed with any bolts he could find, to short).
I am going to take the trans out and re-bolt everything, I am afraid the thing would fly apart if I don't. I have most of the interior but need to install it. I will need to make my own Caliete head liner. I want to stay original looking. I do have the cardboard originals to copy from, but need to find the correct vinyl. The car has a fiberglass hood and front bumper. New springs front and back.I am looking forward to chatting with other 64 owners. I bought this car because I like the body lines. These are getting hard to find.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: 64 Caliente

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Your car looks great. Where are you from?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Al2006

Post by Al2006 »

The Toledo Ohio area

FORD FAN

Post by FORD FAN »

I've always liked the '64-65 hardtops and judging from posts on the HAMB,TFFN and this forum they have a small but growing fanatical following. I had a '64 in the early '80's and am sorry I ever sold it. Bought my '65 Cyclone a few years ago; wasn't even looking for one but couldn't resist. These cars are underappreciated IMHO. Don
'65 Cyclone, 5.0, Gt40X heads, HO cam, Edelbrock 600, T5, 9" 3.70 gears, MII susp.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Well from what I can see in the pics and what your saying
your gonna have one BEAUTY cruiser!!
Welcome and keep up with the pics!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Al2006 wrote:The Toledo Ohio area
I am in Toledo all the time. I would love to check out your car in person some time. I lived in Sylvania for 11 years before moving to Michigan in 2005. It takes only about 40 minutes for me to reach the Central Avenue strip area.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

Al2006

Post by Al2006 »

I would be glad to show it off, after I can find the time to get more of it together. Right now it is a mishmash of things I have started and not finished. I had a stroke in 2006 so I am going to college to learn a new career at 47, which eats up my time so I get very little done. However, I figure it's not going anywhere so I will eventually get it together. I will post some more pictures eventually. The guy I bought it from really put a lot of time(looking for parts, which a have double of many) and money into it, so I try not to think I paid to much for it. I have new carpet, recovered seats, new heater box, heavy duty sway bars, brand new Doug's ceramic headers, the list goes on. The guy just got tired of never finishing it. I hope to make a street/strip car of it.

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Sounds awesome, I can't wait to see it in person some time in the future.
Larry

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

It looks like you got a great car to work with!! Keep us posted on your progress. GOOD LUCK!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals