Comet in Ontario, Canada

Let everyone know a little about yourself
02HD9294

Comet in Ontario, Canada

Post by 02HD9294 »

Hello,
Just came across this site and glad to find something all Comet. Hopefully I can get better help here than on the other (mostly Falcon) sites.
I'm attempting to restore/restomod/update my 62 Custom 2-door. I've owned it since I inherited it in 1974. A few years ago it came down to restore or scrap, and I chose the former and now am questioning my sanity at the time.

I have stripped it down, had it sandblasted and epoxy primed to find that it had extensive rust from many Canadian winters. To date, I have replaced the floors, repaired the torque boxes and rebuilt the trunk and rear frame rails. The cowl area and the engine compartment, as well as the rear quarters still require repair and/or replacement. Not being a welder, I am at the mercy of others and the billable hours add up.

It took me two attempts to find suitable front fenders and I have been lucky with some NOS panels on Ebay but still need a new rust-free hood. I just missed a NOS one from a place in Colorado, so I'm still looking for one at a fair price. I won't need it for a while because I'm years away from this thing being back on the road. I will have many excellent trim parts to dispose of, so somewhere down the road I will be offering them up for sale.

For suspensions, I have installed a Rod and Custom Motorsports MII coilover suspension and am currently attempting to have a Ford 9" with Heidt's parallel 4-link installed. Problem is that the kits are designed for Falcons. I thought the Comet would the same but it is not. The rear rails are actually Edsel design (the 60 Comet was really supposed to be an Edsel, but I think many of you already know this). So, I'm having to pay extra to have a custom suspension installed (wished now I would have stayed with leaf springs, but have too much money invested to turn back now) and may have to modify some of my new trunk floor to make it fit.

I have a 5.0 HO and a T-5 transmission out of an 89 Mustang that I'm also planning to install. It's an agressive build that is going to take years to stay reasonably in budget.

Anyway, here is the best picture (if it uploaded) I have to date on the frame table with the rear suspension being installed. The stance with the 17" rims does give me a bit of hope though.

All suggestions, opinions and help finding the hard-to-find panels are most welcome.
62 Comet Restomod...who knows how it will turn out?

02HD9294

Re: Comet in Ontario, Canada

Post by 02HD9294 »

Picture didn't upload. Any help would be appreciated.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Welcome!!
Sounds like a great build
Posting pics,,,
You need to link pics here from another site like Photobucket
Somewhere in the Lounge there is a simple totorial on how to do it
If your like most of us just fumble around and edit till ya get it!!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I found and brought up the post on pictures for ya
in the lounge
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Bud's Salvage, Oklahoma, USA 1-800-375-2837, 1-580-463-2424 has one for $150.00 They say is has light surface rust. Good luck sounds like a cool project.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry