Raticals 65 Dash

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Ratical

Re: Raticals 65 Dash

Post by Ratical »

Gauges in..

Be Good and You Will Be Lonesome

Santa's Comet

Post by Santa's Comet »

Oh yeah!! Now that turned out beautiful!! Great job! You just showed many of us another way to save old plastic chrome parts.
NP Dave

ec164

Post by ec164 »

Nice Job Radical! Looks very nice......................Al
Your ahead in a Mercury....all the way!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

It looks super! Have you (or anybody else reading this thread) done any repair to the instrument bezel where you actually had to replace some missing material? Mine has a small piece missing in the top right corner. Just wondering if there is a "best method" out there to use to make such repairs.
Jim

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

I had another bezel I was gonna repair instead of using my good one. It was just too britle. I couldn't even get it washed without more breaking off. But otherwise my plan was to use fiberglass resin and mat. I was gonna tape and clamp paint stir sticks to as many flat areas as possible on the front. And start building on the back the missing part and spreading to the surrounding area as much as possible for added stregnth and to prevent cracking. These are just my thoughts I've never tested this and there may be better repair materials but this is one ive used on simaliar type repairs with good results.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I'll agree ,it does look super! Now the gauge faces look black, may be the shadow. I like the glossy look of it all . :D

Jim another option is epoxy. I used PC-7 epoxy to rebuild & build up my steering wheel & also to patch some cracks & chips on my heater box. unlike bondo or fiberglass you have plenty of working time before it cures , & gets rock hard & you can sand & shape it afterwards. it is also paint-able. I think it would work pretty good for a small piece, bigger places probably better with fiberglass. other epoxys like jb weld would probably be good for a small spot too.
Johno

6T5 404

Post by 6T5 404 »

poboyjo65 wrote: I just keep noticing different changes, though the s wheel may be an older mod.
You can stand and look at Ratical's car for hours and not notice all of the modifications. Great Job! It looks great!
Dave

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:It looks super! Have you (or anybody else reading this thread) done any repair to the instrument bezel where you actually had to replace some missing material? Mine has a small piece missing in the top right corner. Just wondering if there is a "best method" out there to use to make such repairs.
Jim
I have repaired bezels before when they were cracked or missing pieces. I have a spare 65 comet cluster bezel that has some missing pieces that is on my 'to do' list to repair one day.
The way I do a repair is with a hot soldering iron which i use to fuse the plastic back together. I dress it out as best I can with the hot iron then when it cools off scrape and sand to get the right look. I'm not averse to repairing plastic using this method, been doing it for years. When I get done you can't tell it has been repaired.
Ron

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Thanks for the ideas on bezel repair, guys. My concern is filling in a missing area with an epoxy or fiberglass material that is likely harder than the surrounding plastic, then trying to feather sand the edge of the repair without over-sanding the plastic, causing a dip at the junction. Ideally, it seems it would be better if the repair material were as soft or softer than the surrounding plastic so it could be easily sanded to blend. I was hoping someone knew of an "Uncle Joe's Magic Plastic Repair" or something made just for the purpose. I haven't tried anything, yet, so maybe I'm making a mountain out of molehill.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Thanks for the ideas on bezel repair, guys. My concern is filling in a missing area with an epoxy or fiberglass material that is likely harder than the surrounding plastic, then trying to feather sand the edge of the repair without over-sanding the plastic, causing a dip at the junction. Ideally, it seems it would be better if the repair material were as soft or softer than the surrounding plastic so it could be easily sanded to blend. I was hoping someone knew of an "Uncle Joe's Magic Plastic Repair" or something made just for the purpose. I haven't tried anything, yet, so maybe I'm making a mountain out of molehill.
Jim
uncle joe left town after the law got him for making moon shine and took his plastic repair ideas with him :roll: :lol: :shock: pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Moonshine! That was probably his secret ingredient. It can make anything look better. :shock:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Ratical wrote:Yea its smaller, I used a mid 80's ford ranger ring. Reduced diameter and larger grip. I hope someday to have it leather wrapped.
with stitching to match your console & seats? :wink: you always have your sleeve full! :lol: might as well get the same guy to do the sunvisors.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Has anyone had any experience with this stuff?
Jim

http://www.plastex.net/Home_Page.php

Ratical

Post by Ratical »

One More Dash Upgrade While We are on the topic.

I know in this PIC, POP will be thinking its a trap for the coons I'm hunting with my 65 stacked headlights.

But its not. Its an Under Dash Drop Down Compartment.

To Store My Tunes

I wanted a modern Radio with USB. but after the classic look I have I'm my dash and interior I didn't wanna Exposed Modern Radio, ( I even bought a box to mount it under the dash and decided I could do better) So this is what I came up with. its just a box to house the radio with a rod to pivot on at the rear and a flat latch that swings Forward to hold it in the up position. And the little Dome in the upper left is a repeater so the Remote will operate it with it tucked away under the dash. Also you can Spot the module for the Dakota Digital Dash in there.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Great idea, I've been trying to figure out what I was going to do on my car and now I know!!!

Ant