1965 Comet 202 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
ArkansasComet

Re: 1965 Comet 202 project

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks for the pics. Rocket, once I get all of the front suspension parts bolted together (that will be a while from now!) I'll do some measuring.

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Yah, I've got a buddy that bought a '64.5 'Stang from me awhile back. I keep meaning to get some kinda measurements on the towers to compare!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Opentracker John also suggested you could measure the total travel of the shock to find the mid-point. Then install it in the car with or without spacers (and no front spring) to measure the total travel the shock is likely to need. He came up with 3/4" spacers for his Falcon I believe.
I'm going to do that...once I decide on shocks :?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Loner

Post by Loner »

Like the cowl brace. Joe posted a link to a site where a guy did a bunch of tests on the amount of flex on his Mustang. It was very informative. Maybe he still has it? Well worth the reading. Found it https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums ... pe.723029/
The best way to learn how to weld is to do it. For stuff that is critical like roll cages I like to double Flux with a mig welder for those welds. You use flux core wire and a gas back up.

Matt

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Loner wrote:Like the cowl brace. Joe posted a link to a site where a guy did a bunch of tests on the amount of flex on his Mustang. It was very informative. Maybe he still has it? Well worth the reading. Found it https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums ... pe.723029/
The best way to learn how to weld is to do it. For stuff that is critical like roll cages I like to double Flux with a mig welder for those welds. You use flux core wire and a gas back up.

Matt
Matt - You mean flux core wire with gas??? For mounting the plates, IMO bolt 'em in, but the tubes...open to whatever!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Loner

Post by Loner »

Rocket989 wrote:
Loner wrote:Like the cowl brace. Joe posted a link to a site where a guy did a bunch of tests on the amount of flex on his Mustang. It was very informative. Maybe he still has it? Well worth the reading. Found it https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums ... pe.723029/

Matt
Matt - You mean flux core wire with gas??? For mounting the plates, IMO bolt 'em in, but the tubes...open to whatever!! :D :lol: :lol:
Ya Flux core with gas. Makes a very good weld. I have welded 32 Ford car frames that come in a kit this way the welds are beautiful. Also custom roll cages for race cars and the 4x4 guys. The bolt in part is only where it is connected to the vehicles frame. When you weld this way there is Flux left over the weld, so it cools off slower no crystalization and the weld is softer so it won't break as easy. Look at the factory welds on Catapiller Dozers they are done this way, just with a lot bigger 5/64 flux core wire and gas.
I bet there are You Tube videos.

Matt

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

The rollcage in my Comet will be my 2nd, I designed the cage for my Toyota T-100 and a good friend helped me fabricate it & he TIG welded it for me. Unfortunately he still lives in CA (where I used to live) but I already talked to him about coming out to visit & helping me with the Comet cage, it pays to live in a nice vacation spot! Here's a pic. of my Toyota cage, the Comet won't be quite as extensive:

Now back to some updates on the Comet! I picked up some parts from John on Sunday on my way back from PF, I can't thank him enough for passing these parts on to me! The front fender is in much better shape than the one that came on my car. I also got a windshield, set of shackles & some rear panel trim since my replacement rear panel is from a Caliente/Cyclone & has the trim mounting holes.

"New" fender:

Other parts:

Today I received my new export brace & I also found a matching shock cap so both sides match now. I decided against the Mustang mounts since this one mount was cheaper than 2 Mustang mounts. I also discovered that the shocks I plan on using are cheaper for the Comet style mount than they are for the Mustang mounts.

Old braces cut out:

My coil mount on the passenger side needs some work!

New export brace & shock caps sitting in place:

I have a really busy work week but hopefully I'll have some more updates this weekend!
Last edited by ArkansasComet on Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

That fender looks right at home Jim!! I'm glad you got some needed parts & I hope at a friendly price. I tried to price them at a price that I would like to find them. A guy building a 65 comet gets gouged enough as it is & deserves to find a decent deal now & then. You wont regret that export brace. it cleans up the engine bay & makes a lot more room for a duel MC & access to it. Keep after it & keep gathering parts & next thing you know you'll be ridin down the road in it!! :P
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Great updates, Jim. Your pics and details will surely help somebody else (me?) on their build in the future.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

looks good...keep up the good work.....you'll get there..just don't rush it and get burnt out,,so many people do and sell the project in the end.......OL POP has never sold a project,,but is guilty of walking away and going fishing for awhile :wink: :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks for the comments guys!

John you were very fair on your prices & I am really happy with the parts. I really appreciate you driving them down to the 40 for me!

Glad you are enjoying my posts Jim & I'm glad if they can help anyone!

Don't worry Pop, this may be my 3rd Comet but I learned my lesson on the last 2 & don't plan on selling this one! I have enough other projects that I can take a break & come back if needed but I'm really having fun with this one. If you are ever looking for a good fishing spot I'm on the White River here in AR & the fishing is incredible!

It was great to meet you guys & the other forum members last weekend, looking forward to the next meet!
Last edited by ArkansasComet on Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Looking good!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Got my 8" rear axle out & I am trying to figure out what it is, there's no tag on it but the 3rd member case is a '67 according to the C70W 4025-A number. I estimated the gear ratio to be about 2.80. I don't know if the housing is a '67, I measured it at 50.25" from backing plate to backing plate & 57.75" from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface with the drums on (rough measurements), isn't that narrower than a stock '67 Mustang axle? I'll get a measurement of the bare housing flange to flange once I tear it all apart. There are no spring perches welded on so I can't measure those. The wheels fit when it was under the car so I don't think it's too wide. What is the width of a stock 1965 8" axle?

I got my cowl upper cross member in, I pie cut a 1" piece of square tubing to match the cowl contour. This piece will tie into the bracing I did on the sides of the cowl & my export brace will bolt through it.

I also drilled the pilot holes for my Arning/Shelby 1" drop, the original mounting holes for my UCA's were egged out so this was the perfect solution to fix that problem. I used a $15 template from eBay which worked great.

Egged out original holes:

Template in place:

Pilot holes done (hard to see):

Template flipped over for the passenger side:

Might be a while before I post another update, I will be out of town for 2 weeks, going to CA for work & then AZ for a family reunion. Hopefully I'll find some parts while I'm out there!
Last edited by ArkansasComet on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

looking good!! One thing that I would do if I were you, & I will if I ever tear mine back down, is drill a big hole on the shock tower for more clearance to the grease fitting for the UCA shaft. only the back sides will need it. I would get about a 1.5'' rubber body plug & drill to fit it . I tried to pound a dent in it but didn't get it placed right & still couldn't get to it with a grease gun hose.
Johno

ArkansasComet

Post by ArkansasComet »

Thanks for the idea John, I'll look into doing that!