Original Calif Black and Yellow Plates

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
albert

Re: Original Calif Black and Yellow Plates

Post by albert »

New Jersey requires plates front and back however it is not clear if you are running Historic plates whether you need to have the front plate on. I have got different answers on that from the police. NJ stopped embossing the plates about 3 years ago and they are now flat printed on the plate............looks terrible IMO. I collect license plates and have many of the States and all of the Canadian provinces. Still looking for plates from ME,NH,VT,VA,NC,GA,Michigan,Indiana,Iowa,KS,ND,SD,WN,LA,Nebraska,WVA,Arizona,CT, DC (sorry don't know all the postal abbrev) I would buy them from anyone who has them at a reasonable price or I would trade some. The prices at the swap meets have become crazy.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

The Transplanter wrote:
Comechero65 wrote:For us in Calif there is a number in Sacramento to call to check if a plate is 'clear'. No way to do it online. If yoiu have a pair and they are clear someone will want them. But has to be a pair as one single is worthless.
Ron
Does clear mean that the car hasnt been tagged for 10 years? As many of the cars we buy have normally been laid up for years already, and we just leave the plates on the cars when we flip them! Which are no good to the new owners apart from becoming wall art
And is this just for black & gold plates? And are the blue & gold sort after as well?
Clear means the plate is no longer tagged to any vehicle and can be reassigned. Takes about 10 years for it to drop out of the system. Can't be moved to anything else till that happens unless you owned the car.
If plates are left on a car when it's sold then it can be reregistered with those plates only because it is still on the car. when I sold my mustang the new owner wanted the plates so I left them on it. I could have kept them and then he would have to get new plates or whatever he wanted to do. But the plates wouldn't do me any good( i don't think anyway) for about 10 years as they couldn't be used in anything else. CORRECTION I could reuse them on another car only because I owned them but nobody else could use them if I were to sell them till they dropped out of the system.
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Ron, from what I understand the CA plates were issued to the different DMV offices in sequential alphabetical blocks. Once the plates were used up in a particular office a new set was issued to that office.
So if an LA office used up its allocation quickly it moved on to the next set. If a Bakersfield office only used one or two blocks of plates all year then they would be "behind" in the letter sequence.
I think that explains the letter sequence disparity between the years.

But it seems out of sequence that the 65 Johnnie pictured and your 65 would have come with "C" lettered plates. As I understand it 65s mostly came with higher alphabetical plates- like JKLM. Although mine is an R plate so there was plenty of overlap and underlap.
But like you said maybe there was some rural office that was WAY behind issuing C plates in 65.

Here's some good info on original 60s plates and the CA DMV YOM program http://ultimateaircooled.com/street-car ... &_k=bkpkpj

Just restoration info here...nothing too dire.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

comethead wrote:Ron, from what I understand the CA plates were issued to the different DMV offices in sequential alphabetical blocks. Once the plates were used up in a particular office a new set was issued to that office.
So if an LA office used up its allocation quickly it moved on to the next set. If a Bakersfield office only used one or two blocks of plates all year then they would be "behind" in the letter sequence.
I think that explains the letter sequence disparity between the years.
But it seems out of sequence that the 65 Johnnie pictured and your 65 would have come with "C" lettered plates. As I understand it 65s mostly came with higher alphabetical plates- like JKLM. Although mine is an R plate so there was plenty of overlap and underlap.
But like you said maybe there was some rural office that was WAY behind issuing C plates in 65.
Here's some good info on original 60s plates and the CA DMV YOM program http://ultimateaircooled.com/street-car ... &_k=bkpkpj
Just restoration info here...nothing too dire.
Joe
That's right Joe, Dmv's got their plates in blocks and some went through them faster than another. When they ran out they probably jumped to a higher block of numbers whatever was available at the time. So the block of sequences could be all over the place.
The state would have started off with sequences starting with A and work their way upwards.

And mine because of the stickers still on it could have in theory could have originally been issued for either the 63 or 64 license year on whatever car they had been on originally. I bought the plates at a swap meet so have no idea what they might have been on.

The fact his started with C would put it in the vicinity of my plates. Mine was originally from Colorado so came to cal sometime after originally sold. So both mine and the 65 comet could have got their plates from the same DMV, I have no idea where that would have been. Just a guess.

My mustang still had it's original plates when I sold it. the sequence on it started with S but it was a 66 and may have come from this area. All I know is it was built at the San Jose plant which is local. My ranchero was built in Lorian and sold in Denver and made its' way to this area. Whatever car mine came from most likely was already in this or the same area as that comet.

And as the person stated in the article back then many at the DMV offices knew nothing about the program and didn't know how to deal with them. I had the same experience, I had to tell them what to do. But of course not taking my word, they had to call Sac DMV to find out what to do. Then i found one person in that office that knew what to do and after that it went just fine.

For we it wasn't too bad but I have read horror stories what others have gone through to get thiers approved.

The sad part is now anybody can have the black and yellow plates, though they are not exactly the same still don't look right on a modern day vehicle. The state tried to do the same with the blue and yellow plates which was the next generation but the program never made it.
Ron