Father and Son Comet Project (with photos)

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Groover

Re: Father and Son Comet Project (with photos)

Post by Groover »

So this is almost embarrassing, but can anybody tell me how the back pieces of the cut and sewn carpets go? or show me a photo?

Here is what I have. the one on the left (for convertibles)

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/carpet ... -1965.html

I can't figure out what sequence the back pieces go? The last two left and right side pieces make sense, but that skinny piece with the round tunnel cuts doesn't seem necessary at all. The back two pieces cover the under the seat area, and the large rear floor pan piece covers all the rest.

Can't decide whether that long skinny piece goes over the top of the back two pieces but under the big piece? If so, none of it will show, so it just adds some bulk to the tunnel.

Anybody done this or can you go look at yours?

Pops, I seem to recall yours are cut and sewn original. Not sure if you have the same pieces or not.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks to me like they are pretty much in the place they go in the pic. the bottom pc.'s for the rear seat risers & work your way forward as is in pic,,, rocker pc.'s on the sides. :?
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Picture's worth a thousand words:

See the piece on top? Don't seem to need it anywhere.

loman

Post by loman »

I'm with Johno in it looks like the seat riser. With that said I don't know where the 2 short pieces would go. Front floor, rear floor, seat riser, inner rockers and the last 2 pieces go ???

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Does the front section come all the way back and overlap the rear floor section? Cover the rail you see in the left side of your picture?

Maybe it goes between the front and rear sections? To the left in the picture, maybe spin it 180.

Haven't carpeted mine yet just guessing.

Lou

Groover

Post by Groover »

well the two pieces with the 45 degree cut work nice on the seat risers so I'm pretty sure they are last (and that's the way they go in the photos).

comethead

Post by comethead »

Ya shoulda got molded carpet! :P
(Sorry can’t help with the problem. Maybe a call to the maker?? Or an original interior assembly manual?)

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I will make my guess as well :roll: the one on top goes forward where you have the short pieces, the short pieces go up the rear seat risers.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote:Picture's worth a thousand words:

See the piece on top? Don't seem to need it anywhere.
I think Lou hit it. spin the pc laying on top 180* & slide it to the left of the photo on the vert under seat brace. where the red primer is.
Johno

Groover

Post by Groover »

Well I got it in but I didn't use that piece in the back.

I ended up using it on the front side of the seat box (you can't see it in any of these photos). I'm sure that's not right, but that was the only place there was any metal showing. Similar to what Lou suggested, but the front instead of the back side. You can see in the first picture that without using it, I had everything covered except the seat box. Which wouldn't have seemed to be any issue at all until I put the seat back in and with it all the way back, you can see the front lip of the seat box. So that's where I put it for now. I'll call on Monday and get the real deal. The only pieces I glued down are the inner rocker pieces and I know those are right and the two pieces in the back on the rear seat risers and I'm pretty sure that is correct. Even so, I just used 3m spray adhesive so I could remove if need be.

In any case, Merry Christmas to me, cause the carpets were my Christmas present to me last year, and I'm just now getting them installed. Sure beats the old crappy faded carpets. Now if my hands aren't too stiff tomorrow, I'll put in my new convertible top well liner that was also part of my Christmas present to me.

If this car gets lookin' any nicer, I'm gonna have to make people take off their shoes to ride :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Groover wrote:So this is almost embarrassing, but can anybody tell me how the back pieces of the cut and sewn carpets go? or show me a photo?

Here is what I have. the one on the left (for convertibles)

https://www.dearbornclassics.com/carpet ... -1965.html

I can't figure out what sequence the back pieces go? The last two left and right side pieces make sense, but that skinny piece with the round tunnel cuts doesn't seem necessary at all. The back two pieces cover the under the seat area, and the large rear floor pan piece covers all the rest.

Can't decide whether that long skinny piece goes over the top of the back two pieces but under the big piece? If so, none of it will show, so it just adds some bulk to the tunnel.

Anybody done this or can you go look at yours?

Pops, I seem to recall yours are cut and sewn original. Not sure if you have the same pieces or not.
greg,,,my carpet came in 2 halfs,,,1 for the front and 1for the rear,and they overlapped under frt seat,OVER 20 YRS AGO !!!!....then when I went to a 4spd I just re-ordered the.. frt half.thanks POP
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

popscomet wrote: greg,,,my carpet came in 2 halfs,,,1 for the front and 1for the rear,and they overlapped under frt seat,OVER 20 YRS AGO !!!!....then when I went to a 4spd I just re-ordered the.. frt half.thanks POP
Interesting, must be different variations on cut and sewn? Now that I think about it, yours didn't have the piece covering the rockers, it has vinyl (so did the 64.5 mustangs from the photos I've seen). And without that, i guess the pack piece in a sedan could just go up the rear seat riser and that's that.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP's inter-net has been down for a couple of days......mine has the vinyl and also up the rear seat riser..just like my 64 mustang........sorry it took so long to get back to you.........has been so long I can not recall where I bought my comet carpet from.....thanks POP
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

While I'm posting resolutions to old problems... here's a theory to once and for all (famous last words) put a stake in the heart of my vacuum/carb stumble problems. And this will be important to folks with 1963 or 1964 260's and original aluminum carb spacers that have rear port PCV and maybe not anybody else.

If you look at the previous page you can see photos of my carb spacer and the pooling gas/oil underneath in the intake crevices. If somebody can tell me why those crevices under the carb are there on the 260 intake, that's an automatic 5 point bonus.

Anyway...

My issue was always when I slowed down quickly from high speeds (like at a stop sign coming down from 40 or higher) the car would stumble and almost die, idle would drop to near nothing like you had turned off the engine... then it would recover and run fine. I kept checking the brake booster thinking I had a vacuum leak that correlated braking with power loss. I'd disconnect the booster, plug the vacuum, etc. In fact further up in the thread, you see where my daughter found a leak in the booster T and we thought that solved the problem, but it didn't last.

Here's a 64 aluminum spacer

Here's the oil/gas that pools underneath

And here's a standard store bought paper gasket

Now what you can't see and will just have to take my word for cause I'm not gonna tear this all apart just to take a photo is that...

If you laid that paper gasket on the bottom of the aluminum spacer you'd see that the opening in the gasket is almost exactly the same size as the OUTER DIAMETER of the intake opening in the bottom of the spacer. In fact, it's so close that if you softened the gasket just a little bit (say with hot gasoline/crankcase ventilation or the like) you'd be able to slide the paper gasket right past the side wall of that intake spacer effectively opening up a hole between the intake and those crevices cast into the spacer and the intake manifold.

So when the gasket is new, everything is fine, but as it wears, and slips past the outer side wall of the spacer it create a kind of variable vacuum leak. When you're driving the intake draft sucks all the air out of those gaps in the spacer and the intake. When you hit the bakes at high speed, intake velocity drops and those previously negative air passages suck air/fuel mixture back into the crevices, etc. like a reverse power valve. This leans out the air/fuel mixture (robs the intake of fuel) and causes the stumble. Once they reach equilibrium, the fuel mixture recovers and things are fine... Of course when you take off, the vacuum can suck that extra fuel back into the intake which should be like a bonus accelerator pump, except it's raw oily fuel in the throttle rather than above where it can be atomized.

You would think this would have been resolved when I made my own gaskets, except that every time I made my own, I used the paper gasket as a template, which replicated the problem. The last (and hopefully final) time I made one, I used the aluminum spacer and took care to make the gasket opening match the INNER DIAMETER of the spacer. I have not had any stumble problems since.

I assume that the standard Autolite 2100 carb gasket is made to fit all the later model carbs which probably have slightly larger throttle openings for 289 and later, which probably have slightly larger intake openings. Perhaps the 65 and later PCV spacer is different as well?

Ok, so that's the theory. Let's hear any rebuttal. Be gentle, I only had one physics class and that was more than 30 years ago.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Groover wrote: If somebody can tell me why those crevices under the carb are there on the 260 intake, that's an automatic 5 point bonus.
Those are there to indicate when you have the wrong or bad gasket.if they have gas in them something is wrong. :mrgreen: :lol:
Johno