Father and Son Comet Project (with photos)

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Groover

Re: Father and Son Comet Project (with photos)

Post by Groover »

Thanks for the words of encouragement, Roy (and everybody else who keeps the Comet world moving forward).

I don't think there's much chance of us getting sidetracked anymore. We passed the point of no return at the precise moment, the boy held that air chisel in his hand and ripped into the sheet metal.

We're going to get a two week break while the whole family joins me in DC for work and vacation. That'll give us some time to regenerate and some time for the swollen joints to return to normal :)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Groover

Post by Groover »

Well we brought her home to the house today. Washed her for the first time, put the seats back in and got the top boot on.

Looks can be so deceiving if you take the photo from the right angle.

riverbum

Post by riverbum »

looks nice!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAt young fellow looks..10 feet tall,and bullitt proof leaning on that comet,,neat pic...wonder whats going thru his mind....Looks good!!!! POP...
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

popscomet wrote:THAt young fellow looks..10 feet tall,and bullitt proof leaning on that comet,,neat pic...wonder whats going thru his mind....Looks good!!!! POP...
Yep, like most of us knotheads it'll take him another 40 years to realize he really is mortal
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Groover

Post by Groover »

Well we're back on the job after a two week break.

I call this idea "Torque Reform"

We've got the inside of the torque box done, and before we finish the outside I thought this one inch steel tube might add some nice reinforcement and insurance against possible bad welding on my part. Once the outer piece goes on this will be hidden. Tried to pretty up the welds but can't get the grinder in close enough so they'll stay ragged.

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Heyyyy, lookin suhweeeet. Man, the work is really payin off... Cherish the time you're spendin with your son. 30 years ago i begged my old man to do a father son car build but he just laughed...No chance of that now....Brian

comethead

Post by comethead »

Looking good!
Amazing that its the same car. I see sweet convertible on the outside and old rusty car on the inside.
Great work!!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I agree with Joe,it is such a sweet looking car on the outside,hard to believe what a disaster the structure has been.Those torque boxes will be stronger than the originals.I also like the idea of a Father/Son project,I did one with each of my two Sons,I think they decided to stay with new cars after that experience!!!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

StPro

Post by StPro »

I have done projects with with both my sons. I build cars with one of my sons and thr other is just starting too work with us now that he is laid off. I think it is great to work with them and pass on the fabricating skills I have aquired during my 62 years of existance. They are not shy about telling me when they think there is a better way to do something either.
I was at Car Craft with my Son and Grandson and an old friend yells out look their 3 generations of Car Guys ! I was actually proud when he said it.
Last edited by StPro on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only use the brakes to stop and get gas.
Projects
65 Comet 421Stroker
93 Mark VIII Supercharged w/Fogger
70 Torino GT

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Had a much older gentleman show me a neat short cut on acertain job a long time ago...when I thanked him,,as he walked away,he turned and said--knowledge ain"t worth a sh--,son ,if it isn"t passed on.. pop
pop/glenda

comethead

Post by comethead »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:I agree with Joe,it is such a sweet looking car on the outside,hard to believe what a disaster the structure has been.Those torque boxes will be stronger than the originals.I also like the idea of a Father/Son project,I did one with each of my two Sons,I think they decided to stay with new cars after that experience!!!!! ROY.
My little guy is just 2.5 y.o. and he's already very interested in cars. He likes my old car. I cant wait to do something with him like you guys have done and are doing.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

popscomet wrote:Had a much older gentleman show me a neat short cut on acertain job a long time ago...when I thanked him,,as he walked away,he turned and said--knowledge ain"t worth a sh--,son ,if it isn"t passed on.. pop
I love people like that.. Need more around my area.. That's why I'm here!

Mike
'63 Comet Hardtop

Groover

Post by Groover »

Ever have one of those weekends when you had big plans for getting a lot done and in the end you spent most of the weekend on your back under the car looking, thinking and scratching your head?

Well that was this weekend, but in the end I think we have a pretty sound plan for finishing up this rear torque box. We've successfully removed the shackle in one piece, although I'm debating having a new one made (or buying one if there is a place who makes them).

We've removed the rear frame rail from right behind the bolt for the leaf spring.

The plan is to use these 2x3 inch steel tubes (1/8 thick) to replace the rear frame rail. Then also use two more pieces welded between the frame rail and the inner rocker to add strength and again insure against my crappy welding.

Here's the question though...

In the original Comet torque box design the bottom of the rear frame rail is a little bit lower than the bottom of the inner rocker. And the thick steel bottom of the torque box angles slightly down from the inner rocker to the frame rail.
Not sure why this is? Seems like it would have made more sense to have these two surfaces be parallel... and that is the question.

I'd like to move this frame rail piece up and make the bottom parallel to the bottom of the inner rocker. This would allow my cross supports to come into contact with the bottom of the torque box so I could weld the crap out of them as well, linking the inner rocker, the frame rail and two cross supports all to the bottom of the torque box.

However, it would require a few adjustments.

1. I'd have to move the center line of the leaf spring bolt up about 1/4 inch to remain within the rear frame rail tube (I'd do this on the other side as well).
2. I'd have to cut the opposite side tab off the shackle in order to move the entire shackle up by the same 1/4 inch. If I make a new shackle, I'd just make it this way.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this? The only thing I can see happening is that the ride will be lower by 1/4 inch.

What do you think?

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

I can not see any reason to not move the new piece of frame and spring pocket up.The car will never notice 1/4",the original springs have sagged more than that.The whole idea in this major undertaking was to tie the car back together and possibly make it stronger.I feel you guys have put a lot of planning,fabrication and HARD work into this project!!Most people would have given up by now,keep your spirits up,a lot of us are pulling for you!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals