Finally got some Pics of the 67 up

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
B_Hix

Finally got some Pics of the 67 up

Post by B_Hix »

Hi there - I put pictures of my Comet here: http://www.cometcentral.com/forum/viewt ... 5&start=15
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Finally got some Pics of the 67 up

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Cool looking car. Two questions.
1. Where did you get that hood? It is very cool.
2. Not so much a question as a request. Got any pictures of the rear, I love the taillights on 67's.

1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Hey Boss - thanks =) I love this car - much to do yet, but it is in line for the heavy duty stuff behind my 5 year (and counting) project, the 49 Chevy pickup. Right now I work on the small stuff and keep it 'cruizable' - really neat old ride though.

The Hood is actually the original hood, and the scoop was put on by the previous owner - it's really cool looking, but totally unidentifiable - it has some writing on it that spells nothing, no matter which angle you look at it, lol. It's funny to go to car shows and watch people turn their heads this way and that and walk around the hood trying to read it =) I'll have to get a pic of the writing when it's not pouring rain outside.

The hood looks great from the proverbial '20-foot' view, but sadly the installer did a pretty cheezy job of it - it was attached with sheetrock (!) screws going through the hood and they didn't even cut them off on the underside, lol. After the scoop was installed they painted over the screws and you can tell where each one is becaus there is a paint bubble/blister there :oops: Pretty easy to fix, but it'll probably be next spring before I can get to that. It also has a couple cracks in it that need to be dealt with.

A couple pic's below. You can see the old Chevy in the background of the second one. Took that to the frame 5 years ago, doing it all by myself. First time I have ever gone that far with a vehicle, and 5 years to get it where it sits should tell you I have had to learn a lot along the way :P I'm a Ford guy through and through, but when I retired from the Army I went looking for a project - had never done a Chevy and had never done a truck, so decided to give it a go - it's been like 'sleeping with the enemy' lolz. Sadly once the truck is done I'm probably going to only keep one of them, so one will have to hit the market - it will be a hard decision to make :cry:

67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

The Comet was snapped by a news crew while I was at the Street Machine Nationals in Springfield Missouri. I was surrounded by $70k cars lol, but the ol Comet still got some love :mrgreen: Picture 47 shows the 3 Vettes with the Comety 4th in line - funny that there are two people looking at these 4 cars - both at the Comet :mrgreen:

The Comet got a 'exclusive' pic - it's number 48

http://www.ky3.com/galleries/kspr-stree ... 111003-052
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Nice !!thanks for the pics,,,,I have a glass ram air hood with same style scoops on my 93,5.0 mustang,,wonder if that part was used to scab on to make your hood?? either way,,that hood realy looks sharp on your comet.Had I known in time you were going to Springfield,I would've meet you there.Use to go every yr ,stoped going few yrs ago.we won best Ford up there in late 90's with a 56 ford..I'm not much on GM,but your truck looks good also..thanks.....pop
pop/glenda

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

Nice pic of your car. How was the event?
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Pops I don't know where they got that scoop from - I love it from 20 feet away - looks really slick, but they did a pretty bad job with it - the writing is either upside down, inside out or both ?!? (headscratch) and the scoops fill with air going down the interstate at 85..., er, uh, 70 :mrgreen: and I can see them ballooning. Gonna have to take the hood off this spring and work it over to fix the cracks that are in it and then I will likely have to drill through the hood or just do a couple cut outs so they are actually functional to stop the cracking. Sure hate cutting on original metal but the scoop needs work. They actually put it on by running what look like sheet rock screws through the hood :x and then painted them over and this has resulted in the paint bubbling where they are at. I think it looks really nice from afar, but it needs some work.

Believe it or not I used to be about as anti-GM/Chevy as they come... In 2000 we came back stateside from overseas and bought our house. after a year or so I was twiddiling my thumbs and my wife said "why don't you go buy another old car?" (love that woman) :mrgreen: Well, I had never done a truck and I had never done a Chevy and the price was right...sooooo. Took it down to the frame in 2005 and all it lacks now is the front bolted back on and a interior. Told the wife when it's done one will have to go - can't keep up with two of 'em! I have put a ton of money into the chevy and it's a really nice rig, but it probably won;t make the cut :mrgreen:

Pops if you can make it next year it'd be really cool to meet you there - besides my car there was only 3 other Merc's that I know of, all Cougar's. It was just a fun weekend, nice chance to hang out and see some really cool cars. I see your not that far away! :mrgreen:

Boss it was pretty hot, even though it was in Oct - we set up the coolers and chairs under some shade trees and hung out. Chip Foose was there but there was no way I was standing in line for 3 hours to pay $20.00 for a picture with him! Amazingly talented guy though, was cool to see him, even if from afar.

Last year there was over 800 cars, this year just over 500 - guess it's a sign of the times (ecomony) - still had a lotta fun though!
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

Groover

Post by Groover »

Nice car B_Hix, where in Missouri are you?

By the way, there is an effort underway to get the Street Machines back in DuQuoin, IL (where they belong ;) I remember going 20 years ago to the "Mardi Gras of Mayhem and Metal"
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

B_hix.I'm just a few hrs away from Springfield,it don't take no time to get there from here,went to SEDELLIA for yrs to the CAR CRAFT MAGAZINE show,our motel was on the main drag,I slipped around and found nuff water hose to stretch to the street and made every body a water box in front of the motel,Man talking about some BURN-OUTS.Back then they had morn and evening newspaper,a repoter took pic of me and my comet that I was unaware off,be out cruising have people pull up and holler,HEY MAN youand that comet is on the front page...that was some kick butt times!!!! by the way,cops finaly made me return every one's water hose,, my wife cut out and framed that pic ..thanks pop
pop/glenda

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Grover, I'm in Saint Robert, right next to the Army's Fort Leonard Wood and just off I-44. From where I am at it is 80 minutes to Springfield (west) and two hours to Saint Louis (east). I'm actually a Colorado native but I retired from the Army in 2003 and we just stayed here, my last duty station, as we had kids we didnt want to uproot. Seems like I remember the SR Nats being in IL, but I never went there for them.

Lotta car stuff in Springfield - two giant swap meets every year, then they host the Street Rod Nationals, Street Machine Nationals and one other show over the summer (forgot which one).

Cool story Pops :mrgreen: Guess the cops were sweating the hose 'theft' (I say borrowed for a good purpose) but not the burnouts, lol.

The manager of autozone was the one that told me my car was photo'ed at the Nationals - I had no idea, lol. Sure cant hide in these things - everyone in our area knows this car now. Took two hoirs to leave wal-mart yesterday - came out and had a group of people checking it :mrgreen:
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

After that old woman walked around and found me holding her spray nozzle,she put the cops on me.after I had to return all the hoses,I found a bucket,,,I kept that water box wet,,,when I finaly gave it up and went back to motel and went to bed,was so tired i felt like I had dipped the MIssouri river dry one bucket at a time.TO day I would'nt sling sweat on the pavement for a free burnout..funny what age will do.....POP
pop/glenda

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

I was stopped at a light last night and a SUV full of dad, mom, and 2, maybe 3 kids in the back family pulled up next to me in the left lane. The teenager in the back rolled down the window and said "light 'em up!"

"I said toss me a $20.00 for the rubber and you got it!"

The whole family laughed, and the kid immediately pulled his wallet out and started balling up a bill to toss, then the light changed...

I didn't get my $20.00 and they didnt get their burnout :mrgreen:

Hoosiers ain't free! :mrgreen:
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

WOW;you have more restraint than most!! Probably a good thing with that little rear,you may have needed a tow home!!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

I can burn 'em long and hard - have tried it on a few occasions :P I just don't like launching the car hard with the butt up in the air (shackles), traction bars slapping/wheel hop and what I'd say is a pretty fragile rearend in the car......and Hoosiers ain't free :mrgreen:

Maybe I should put that on my back window? or - "$20.00 or no burn!" :mrgreen:
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Heck fire-crazy me ,I'd done it for an I.O.U.,,do you think it really was a 20? that teen might have been trying to pull a fast one on you...you did good.( it be my luck that 5 cops was right 'round the corner with 6 dozen do=nuts spread out on the hood,fightin crime...as soon as I turned it loose,they be on me like bark on a tree..pop
pop/glenda