Finally starting a thread for the 64

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
Coolball

Finally starting a thread for the 64

Post by Coolball »

So I thought it was time to post up some pics of the 64 and some of the progress photos too :D

When we brought her home

Engine bay before we cleaned it up

The GF only has one rule for the car, no cutting or modification of the hood. So I took this photos as a gag while she wasn't paying attention :lol:

Somebody had backed into the driver front in a parking lot. This is how the fender looked it was slathered in bondo big time. I found a NOS extension piece on ebay. Just missing the chrome headlight ring now.

I wanted to learn how to do metal work so I started stretching and shrinking the fender with a torch and shaping it back using a hammer & dolly.

I ran into some additional problems but after many hours I am to a point where I feel satisfied with my work.

Coolball

Re: Finally starting a thread for the 64

Post by Coolball »

I picked up some donor parts from a 77 Granada, small block 302, C4 tranny, 8'' rear end with 3.05? gears (open diff), and the disc brake set up and spindles.

The motor and trans before

The bores look good but check out the front main bearing, completely wiped. A slipped balancer I believe to be the cause. Chewed up the crank pretty good.

The donor 8'' rear

Yep, that's the bad a** granny of rear ends compared to the stock one

And it's in....

Groover

Post by Groover »

Looks like a pretty good place to start. What color are you going to do?
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

We seam sealed the body again because most of the old stuff was peeling. Then a fresh coat of Por 15

How did that get in there!?! :twisted:

Moving to 5 lugs. Calipers and drums all turned and fresh pads all around.

Granada spindles and caliper brackets sand blasted then a fresh coat of caliper paint

All original interior. Seats are rough but we have decided on black vinyl recover. Luckily my buddy is in upholstery.

Coolball

Post by Coolball »

Groover wrote:Looks like a pretty good place to start. What color are you going to do?
For what it is the project is at a great starting place. Believe it or not we only paid $700 for her and that was with an extra set of studded snow tires and a spare! Also came with a second grill and headlight bezels :mrgreen:

As far as the color goes she wants something relatively close to this

The engine bay, block and heads will be black and we will accent the motor parts with polished aluminum like the valve covers, oil pan, pullies and intake. Maybe pink plug wires she says

Groover

Post by Groover »

If you do that two tone exterior, that will be sweet.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...