My 63 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
rjones35

Re: My 63 project

Post by rjones35 »

Started working on replacing the leaf springs. Went with stock. Only got one side, halfway done today! Getting the old, flat, broken spring out was easier than I thought it would be. Putting the new one in was a huge pain, a lot harder than I thought, partially again, because I've never done it before. Turns out the upper bushings in the new shackles were wrong, so I'm waiting on those now. With the spring not totally in, the pin is a little ways off from lining up. Hopefully that will work out once the spring is actually in!! I'm guessing that the other side will be harder to get out, but easier to get back in.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Well I was wrong. the other side came out way easier, mainly due to the front bolt breaking due to rust, and then using the sawzall on the rest of them. so now waiting on upper rear bushings, and have to come up with a front bolt. so it's all in pieces for a while. at least it's supposed to be raining for the next week or something.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Back on the ground. Tried Monroe shocks first but they were like having nothing back there, so switched to KYB gas adjusts. Way better. New rear wheels with 225/70/15 fit great. Now I need to see if I remember how to drive it.

https://youtu.be/cbG5B8zxJLU

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

:D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: does look better man!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Loner

Post by Loner »

Glad to see you went with the KYB shocks. I have broken 3 of them over the years on my trucks. Never had a problem getting a replacement. Lifetime warranty!
It allways seems like when you tackle a job you have never done before, you get good at it right about the time your done!
Your car is cool.

Matt
Last edited by Loner on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks guys!!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I have the gas a justs on 2 70's trucks & my comet. I like em!! :D
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

The Monroe's for comparison. I wasn't pushing very hard either.

https://youtu.be/1xWwKVcLQiU

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Finally took it for a test spin!! The carpet and sound deadener made a HUGE difference. It's like a new car inside. The new leafs and rear shocks made a HUGE difference. It rides like a new (1963) car!!

Still on the fence about cutting the front coils. If it wasn't such a pain to do, I would do it. It actually does sit lower in the front than the back, but with the wheel well openings and the different color rims maybe, it throws it off. Like an optical illusion.

Throttle is hanging up a little for some reason. I'll double check the carpet down there but I was pretty careful to leave plenty of space around the pedal, I thought. Could be something else. I can goose it and goes back to normal.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Looks ok to me, I like that body level with little or no rake,,,,, but low :lol: :lol:
My brother always says "if it ain't daggin, scrapping and rubbing, it ain't low enough"
SO that's always been my goal.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

SASSY wrote:Looks ok to me, I like that body level with little or no rake,,,,, but low :lol: :lol:
My brother always says "if it ain't daggin, scrapping and rubbing, it ain't low enough"
SO that's always been my goal.
Fred

You know, in the past with other cars, I was all about low, well to a point, maybe not draggin scrapin low, but lower. This car I saw in my head sitting high, like the old hot rods use to. I think when I get different wheels and tires on the front, it'll help.

I messed with the throttle hanging up thing. I replaced the stock pedal and linkage with a Lokar setup when I put the car together, and I had the cable at a weird angle where it attached to the pedal. So I moved the pedal a little, twisted the top a little and got it a lot better, not butter smooth, but not hanging up. Lokar uses a pin with e clips on either side to attach the cable to the pedal. I always thought it was a cheesy setup. While I was messing with the pedal I lost one of the little tiny e clips. Got one at the hardware store and while I was there I started looking for a different way to attach the cable. Got a bolt and a nut that'll work, then I saw a linch pin. A pin with a clip that flips over like a hood pin. Perfect. Simple, easy to put in and out, no tiny clips to lose. Looks a little funny because of the big loop, but who's gonna see. Why wouldn't Lokar use something like that instead of their goofy setup? Engineers probably.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

8) Shucks, that's nuttin' compared to the medieval OEM early bell rank throttle assemblies!!! :mrgreen: :| :shock: :D :
I like the stance too!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

loman

Post by loman »

I think it looks good. Once you get the wheels on it, it will look like a whole different car.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks! I'm leaning towards this wheel with a tire a hair shorter. Kinda has a "older" slot look with a modern twist or something. I don't know, I like it.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/uwc-541-5465p

Loner

Post by Loner »

After you put some wheels on it you can go from there. It will change the look of the car.
I'm with Fred same stance but lower.
Cool car,Matt