My 63 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
poboyjo65

Re: My 63 project

Post by poboyjo65 »

why dont you put white steelies on to match the back? :? :?
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote:why dont you put white steelies on to match the back? :? :?
Thought about it, and still might go that way, but I kinda like the way the old factory stock drag cars looked with the mismatched wheels. Along these lines. Obviously this a nicer car, but same idea.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

x2...wasn't a bad look at all!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

I think these might be the wheels for the front -

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/rpm-r70-546117

just need to find some cheap!! or save some money for a little while....

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

HAD OL POP'S COMET been white instead of red,,it would look just like that 64 afx 427,,,I already have the glass bumpers..bought them with the hood back in the early 90's..just wouldn't put them on for a everyday street car.but still have them in the attic in the box they came in......that white AFX comet is hard to beat when it comes to looks
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

That thing is definitely cool Looking! If my 63 was a 64, that's what I'd want it to look like.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

rjones35 wrote:That thing is definitely cool Looking! If my 63 was a 64, that's what I'd want it to look like.
I'm with you on that,for sure....I could make mine look like it...but I just don't believe it would be the same CATCHY LOOK in red,,,,,saw a pic of a real BFX yrs ago that was found,but it was black and I kinda went with that theme,but thinking back,,WHITE is the way to go...red or black is not !! so I'll just leave well e'nuff alone,BUT IT AIN'T THAT MUCH WORK and ....if they are still there,over at my old shop,I have a couple of whls like those or are so close a man could use them in good faith,after all mine would just be a wanta be clone...that's why my tach is where it's at on the dash... as well with the hood and buying the bumpers .....the more I post and think about this ,the more I need to go and see if I still have those whls....does anyone know the size of those rear steelies,,I know their 15's but how wide?....bet they came from a station wagon...if so I think I can handle that,also...it's pouring down rain outside,,I sure hope OL POP ain't just trapped inside and daydreaming... :wink: :lol: ............Rjones,POP likes your 63,you've done good !! thanks,POP
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

popscomet wrote:
rjones35 wrote:That thing is definitely cool Looking! If my 63 was a 64, that's what I'd want it to look like.
I'm with you on that,for sure....I could make mine look like it...but I just don't believe it would be the same CATCHY LOOK in red,,,,,saw a pic of a real BFX yrs ago that was found,but it was black and I kinda went with that theme,but thinking back,,WHITE is the way to go...red or black is not !! so I'll just leave well e'nuff alone,BUT IT AIN'T THAT MUCH WORK and ....if they are still there,over at my old shop,I have a couple of whls like those or are so close a man could use them in good faith,after all mine would just be a wanta be clone...that's why my tach is where it's at on the dash... as well with the hood and buying the bumpers .....the more I post and think about this ,the more I need to go and see if I still have those whls....does anyone know the size of those rear steelies,,I know their 15's but how wide?....bet they came from a station wagon...if so I think I can handle that,also...it's pouring down rain outside,,I sure hope OL POP ain't just trapped inside and daydreaming... :wink: :lol: ............Rjones,POP likes your 63,you've done good !! thanks,POP

Thanks Pop!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Haven't done much else lately, including driving it!! But I do go for a spin tonite. I'm still amazed at how much nicer it is to drive with the carpet and sound deadener inside. So much quieter and less rattly. Still working on getting new front wheels and tires. Its a matter of cashola. I like the Rockets, but I'm having a hard time talking myself into 200 a wheel. Torque Thrusts are about 1/2 That, and are pretty good looking. I'll probably just save for a while.

The fix on the throttle cable works A LOT better. Nice and smooth now, no hanging at all. I still need to tinker with the carbs again one of these days. Runs great just driving around, but if I stomp on it and open all of the carbs at once, it definitely stumbles. I'm thinking the end carbs are too rich. It kinda stumbles a little then recovers and goes. I suppose it could be lean, but doesn't seem like it. I built it as a cruiser and it does that great, so I'm not super concerned I guess.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

All bogs/ stumbles are lean conditions IMO...it's one of the transitions not providing enough juice 'til the other picks up! It could end--up "running" rich depending on typical cruise RPM, driving style, etc. but far as carb function, I'd look for lean! :) I wish I knew ANYTHING about those carbs to help...if it was a Holley, I could help jets, pump squirters, pump cams, blah-blah! :D

Definitely a neat/ unique intake setup you built and if it ain't bad, yah...take your time trouble-shooting!
:mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Yeah it's definitely not bad. If it was a "race" car, it might be an issue, but for me cruising around it's really not that big of a deal. I'm thinking I might just leave it alone, since it runs so good the rest of the time, where I actually drive it.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Finally got front wheels! Not the Rockets, I couldn't talk myself into the cost.... Torq Thrusts. What air pressure do you guys run in your front runner tires? These are 165/80s, radial, basic tires. 36 seems low, I mean they just seem squishy.

It's about 9000 degrees out, too hot for a test drive, so a garage pic will have to do.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I love em! I know you're going for that look ,but IMO it would look better with the TTD's all way around. but not to take anything away from it, it looks great like it is. I run 35 in my fronts & rears. Cant see it good from that pic but I just saw one of it on facebook with a little better view of the front tire & it does look low in that pick & hard to believe that is 36 pounds,looks more like 16#. maybe you should get a second opinion from another gauge. :lol:
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I love em! I know you're going for that look ,but IMO it would look better with the TTD's all way around. but not to take anything away from it, it looks great like it is. I run 35 in my fronts & rears. Cant see it good from that pic but I just saw one of it on facebook with a little better view of the front tire & it does look low in that pick & hard to believe that is 36 pounds,looks more like 16#. maybe you should get a second opinion from another gauge. :lol:

Thanks! Oh yeah, that Facebook pic is a little bit of an illusion, it looks pretty normal in reality, just seemed a little soft. Probably my imagination. I did try a different gauge, 36 also.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Most references on tire pressure tell you to look at the OEM pressure recommendations on the door post of the car. Of course, you probably don't have such a sticker, and if you did, it would be for bias-ply tires of a specific size. Ideally, the best way to determine what the correct pressure is for tires of a different size from OEM is to use tire pressure charts for the specific type and size of tire. If you know the OEM tire size and pressure (front vs rear), you can go to the charts for that tire and determine what load the OEM tire is rated for at the OEM recommended pressure. Take that load to the chart for your new, different sized, tire and determine what psi corresponds to that load. That will be proper pressure to run in that size tire on your vehicle. In your case, you might be able to determine what the OEM tire size and recommended psi was, but finding a chart for bias-ply tires to determine the corresponding load at that psi might prove a challenge. If you CAN find such a chart, the process would be the same: use the chart for the new tire, find the load and corresponding psi. Now if you've pulled out an I-6 and installed a V-8, then the loads are different and all bets are off. The best way, then, would be to go to someplace that has a set of scales where you can pull the front and rear end on the scales separately to determine the front and rear axle loads. Knowing that, you can divide the axle load by 2 to get the load for each tire. Use that load and the chart for your new tires to determine the psi you should run. Here's some info on other ways to estimate the proper inflation. Good luck.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/tire-wheel-p ... ecker.aspx
Jim