My 63 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
rjones35

Re: My 63 project

Post by rjones35 »

Okay got the brakes plumbed! Master cylinder bench bled, I think. Haven't bled the system yet, kinda worried about leaks, but I guess I'll see when I bleed it. Got the new end links and sway bar bushings installed. Still haven't found wheels, but I haven't looked real hard either. I did find a guy at the car show the other day had an Offenhouser dual 4 barrel intake with Carter carbs for pretty cheap and I could probobly work in my edelbrock 600 as a partial trade. I'm just not sure if it'll clear the stock hood, which I want to keep, and don't know if it'll be way overkill on the stock latemodel 302 I'm planning on using. Any thoughts on that? The guy with the intake is also the guy that's going to help me with a T5.

Under the car there's still some cleanup to do of the old floor that I patched over. Just to make it look a little nicer!!

comethead

Post by comethead »

Looks great! Hows the CSRP kit? The parts look pretty good. Im considering the kit for my 64.
Ive never tried it but Id think you would have some issues with dual quads on a stock 302. Maybe you should cam it and get some headers then youd be in business! :wink:

Great updates!

Oh and maybe you dont want to grind the wheels to fit, might get dangerous.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Yeah probably better off with a dual plane single Carb. That was my initial plan, just a driver, keep it simple. Maybe upgrade stuff later. The CSRP kit was really nice. Everything fit just like its supposed to, and the online instructions were good, although I wish it came with a paper copy, but that's a pretty minor thing. I could have printed it out myself. I haven't driven it yet but it seems like everything should work out just fine. The only "issue" I had was plumbing in that hydraulic brake light switch. The adapter I got from CSRP would have worked for that, but then I would have needed another fitting or something to either split the front or I could have added a little piece of brake line somewhere to add it in. But I didn't want more connections if I could avoid it. It worked out fine.
It would have taken ALOT of grinding to make the wheels I have fit. And you're right, that might have ended badly.

A new thought I had today was about the tranny crossmember. Does everybody just make their own when they put a t5 in? The only one I've found made for a comet/falcon with a t5 is from modern driveline, and it only works with the S10 tailshaft which I'm pretty sure I'm not using. Surely somebody makes something. I found a boatload of them for mustangs with a t5.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thanks for the CSRP info!
rjones35 wrote:I tried the rental coil spring compressor from O'Reilly and it didn't work out very well for me, so I bought one of the internal hook ones and after a couple tries and some frustration it worked.
I bought one of this compressors a few years ago, Ive used it a bunch of times and its the easiest and safest compressor I have used. He also has a bearing you can add to the nut to make it easier.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/65-73-Mustang-S ... 257wt_2820

Good luck!

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

That's the coil spring compressor I needed! Looks like the one ford tells you to use in the manual! Thanks Joe, I think I might have to buy one just in case I have to take the springs back out and do this again!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Nothing too new. Still need wheels. I'm thinking about going 15s now just for simplicity. I don't know, depends on what I come up with. Gravity bled the brakes this week. Not 100%:sure about it. I let each run drip through about a master cylinders worth of fluid then called it good. My friend Chris made me some export brace mounts for the shock towers! I still need to make some little spacers for the rod end because of the angle. Ordered my hydraulic clutch stuff from Modern Driveline so I can get all that hopefully mounted, or at least figured out.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Went to a couple junkyards today and found some wheels, and tires. The rears I think are right on, the fronts may or may not work and they actually turned out to be slightly different wheels, but close enough for now. The rears I think are 15x6 or 6.5 and they've got 225/70s on them. Got about 1/2-5/8" of clearance on the outside and about 3/4" on the inside. They're a little tricky to actually get on the car, but once they're on its okay.

Right now with no engine the front sits to high to tell if the fronts will actually clear or not but they appear to have lots of room. They are 15x6-6.5 with 215/70s. Pretty neat to be able to sit it on the ground finally!!

And I saw this 64? in the yard behind one of the ones I went to. Looks pretty good buried in the weeds and trees back there.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Lowered the rear a couple inches. It has shackles on it and somebody put the springs in the lowest hole, I moved them up a couple holes. It really needs new springs or at least bushings, but that can wait. I also installed the front shocks and new export brace mounts!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Got the gas tank in today!! I bought some 3M strip caulk to seal around the tank lip and I used the rest of it to seal up some of the welds and miscellaneous holes in the floor and firewall. That stuff works good, a little messy if you're not careful, which I wasn't. Then I put the passenger side rear window back together. It was semi apart when I got the car. Kinda all flopping around in there. Took a little prying and cussing. I looked at the other side to see how it was supposed to be. It was still a little confusing. Then I had to make a stop because it was missing. I'll need to reseal the window in the frame at some point. The frame is apart in the corner. For now its low on the priority list, but it does roll up and down nice now!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

It looks like I was a little premature in my installing the brake lines and master cylinder....bummer :cry: I just got the Modern Driveline hydraulic clutch kit today and it kinda goes where all my lines are and it appears that I need to remove the brake master cylinder to actually install the clutch master cylinder to begin with. In my head I thought the clutch master would be mounted higher up and I would have plenty of room to install it. When I get home tonite I'll scope it out but I think I know what I'll be doing this weekend!!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Yep, had to remove the brake master cylinder and I'll have to reposition the proportioning valve to somewhere. And I thought I was doing pretty good having the brakes done!! I've got the clutch master mounted and I would of had it hooked to the pedal, but you're supposed to remove the original pin on the clutch pedal. Which wouldn't be too bad if it was out, but the pedal is in and I remember it being a pain to take out. So I'm trying to do it with the pedal in the car still. Got the one side ground off and the pin spins but its not coming out. Maybe I need to grind on it some more? Worst case is I either take the pedal assembly out or take it apart. Not wanting to do either.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Got the clutch linkage hooked up and started reworking my brake lines.

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Mr. Jones ,MR Jones, MR Jones,,, for a guy that keeps sayin he doesn't know what he's doing
you sure keep doing it!!
Enjoying watching you learn as you go and your no fear attitude!!
(but watch them coil springs!!)
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks Fred! Yeah those coil springs scared the crap out of me!! I'm definitely learning as I go. Some things I get to really practice and learn all the wrong ways to do! ! That's part of the fun! Almost ready to install the wiring harness, that should be exciting!

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Well I dove into wiring today. Don't really know what I'm doing, again, just following the Centech directions and trying to route the wires where they won't rub on anything or get caught in a pedal or anything. I put the fuse panel above the tunnel. Since I took out all the heater and vent stuff, there's all kinds of room down there.

I've only done a little bit, I've got a ways to go still!