My 63 project

Upload pictures of your Comets and Projects to share with everyone.
popscomet

Re: My 63 project

Post by popscomet »

LAYIN it in the sun sounds good,,but it won't help much imo,it's gonna lay how it lays,,,I installed mine in the summer and after laying laid out in the middle of the living room floor for a couple of days didn't realy help...but good luck any who how...your coming right along,and doing a fine job,isn't your comet the one that had a big ol snott goblin v8 in it when you 1st got it? or do I have it mixed up with another?
pop/glenda

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

popscomet wrote:LAYIN it in the sun sounds good,,but it won't help much imo,it's gonna lay how it lays,,,I installed mine in the summer and after laying laid out in the middle of the living room floor for a couple of days didn't realy help...but good luck any who how...your coming right along,and doing a fine job,isn't your comet the one that had a big ol snott goblin v8 in it when you 1st got it? or do I have it mixed up with another?
Yep had the 390 in it. Still has a 390 emblem on one side. Maybe I'll see what I can do on the carpet tomorrow.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Wow, I'm finding I don't have much patience for putting in carpet. What a pain in my butt. Worked on it for a little while today. It was all I could handle for one day.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

pay attention,,,,measure more then once before you cut...as you well know ,am sure !!!
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Lookin' sharp man!! Keep at it and ya x2 on what Pop said!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Rocket989 wrote:Lookin' sharp man!! Keep at it and ya x2 on what Pop said!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
Thanks guys. I'm definitely trying to take it slow and making small cuts multiple times rather than hacking off chunks. I'm not sure what to do about the spots that kinda bunch up. Up in the corners where the floor, firewall,and kick panels meet I made a diagonal cut and overlapped, which isn't ideal, but I figured it wouldn't be super visible. There's another spot by the gas pedal that has a weird bump, partially due to my floor panel making expertise, but it's still a little lump in the carpet. Maybe it'll push down okay once I get it all actually trimmed and attached to the floor.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Ordered a couple new steel wheels for the back. I took some measurements off the old ones, with the tire still on......and I was off a little, 5/8" or so it turns out. Enough so that the new 15x7 wheels stick out about that far too much. I could probably trim the lip and be back where I was. The old wheels were 15x6.5. They fit just barely with the tires I had. I like the way the tire size looked on the car, wider would be cooler, but not a huge deal. So I can either keep the wheels I had, rusty junkyard wheels, or order some new 15x6s and gain a little more clearance, and have nice new wheels. Tires will go either way.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Could the old ones be cleaned-up/ painted??
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Rocket989 wrote:Could the old ones be cleaned-up/ painted??
Maybe, they're pretty rusty though. I'm sure they could be made better than they are now. I did order some 15x6 wheels, if they're not ideal, I'll send them back and go with what I have. I'm hoping the 6s will give me a little more room for taking them off and on. Right now they're a huge pain.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

A little more progress on the carpet. Good scissors helped a lot!! Plan is to get the one side done and seat bolted down and then HOPE that the other side works out fine. Probably find out how that works out tomorrow.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

A little more work on the interior. Carpet is in, worked out pretty well. Definitely not perfect, and you can definitely tell I didn't know what I was doing. A little floppy around the tunnel, I'm sure party due to the floor pieces I replaced. Also finally made a piece for the rear seat delete and started putting down some peal and seal deadener stuff.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Carpeting a car can be a pain at times but it looks like you did a good job of it.

Fun stuff,Matt

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Loner wrote:Carpeting a car can be a pain at times but it looks like you did a good job of it.

Fun stuff,Matt
Thanks. It was totally a pain. I think it turned out good too. I just try not to think about the areas that don't fit very well. Regardless, it should be quieter than it was before, and maybe stay a little cooler inside.

loman

Post by loman »

The carpet looks good! As for your couple of problem areas around the tunnel, you will probably be the only person that ever notices them since you are the one who installed them. Also, there is the chance the carpet may lay a little better over time.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

loman wrote:The carpet looks good! As for your couple of problem areas around the tunnel, you will probably be the only person that ever notices them since you are the one who installed them. Also, there is the chance the carpet may lay a little better over time.

Thanks!