Other Mercury Projects

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Other Mercury Projects

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

My 65 Comet wagon is in Paint jail,will need interior,wiring and glass when it comes home! I started a 67 Cougar project a couple months back,47,635 miles,48 years old.Needed a good scrubbing of engine bay and trans tunnel so I pulled the 289/C-4 combo out,building a mild 289 with a Toploader 4-speed to go back in,had to ad clutch linkage,installed factory disc brakes and MC/prop valve.Will be installing new carpets and front buckets are being reupholstered,hope to be back on the road by December!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

comethead

Re: Other Mercury Projects

Post by comethead »

Roy I can't wait to see these cars done! Gonna be quite a stable.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joe;ME TOO!!!!Had a setback on the wagon,the painter is real sick,told him not worry about the car,just get well!!! ROY.

albert

Post by albert »

67 Cougar one of the nicest Mercurys ever made! Look forward to seeing pics.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

YEA,I like a couger,they were pretty sharp in my book......GLENDA,still has her 86 couger XR7,4cyl 2.3 FI turbo we bought brand new,sittin over at the old shop,been yrs since it was even started,the AC went out on it and she parked it and started driving my 5.0 stang and just never got back in it,I need to go get it and fire it up,,the spare ,jack have never been out of the trunk as the locking lug nuts are still in the little bag they came in,,,it's been a war keeping these boys from robbing the engine for a race car........think I'll add that to my bucket list of things to do in the near future..... :? :lol: 8) pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

This is a good idea Roy. Maybe this "OTHER MERCURY PROJECTS'' should have it's own section.nice to know what our members other rides are! :D COOL! :D
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Albert;somehow I missed your post!! Thank You,your 65 COMET sounds like a KOOL ride!! ROY.

albert

Post by albert »

I keep looking at 67 Cougars, have liked them from the day they were introduced. Better value today than any Mustang IMO.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

albert wrote:I keep looking at 67 Cougars, have liked them from the day they were introduced. Better value today than any Mustang IMO.
I think the stang still brings more money,,and they are everywhere compared to a couger,,,,,,,met a man today that was driving a 1966 un-restored sunbeam tiger,it was OK but to me it was lacking that overall SEX appeal,those 4lug whls and the small tires just don't get it for me...but that's JMO :shock: :? :? :lol: pop
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

POP;Mustangs are OK,I've had a few,but COUGARS are way better looking in my book!!!Finding a nice,uncut 67-70 is hard,if you do they want WAY TOO MUCH,been looking for about 20 years,finally found one that I could afford!!The TIGERS can be a fun ride,but just not my style!!Keeping the Cougar streetable,fun,safe and Quicker than stock,but Stock looking!! ROY.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AM not dissputeing the looks of the couger,for sure for sure,,,,,but it seems the stang always bring the most money,if you have a couger unmolested ,you are lucky for sure,,around here you just don't see any cougers but that also goes for the comet...a mercury has always been at the top when it came to looks and styleing,for ever,as much as I am a ford man i have always leaned toward a mercuury,I drove one of the sharpest 53 merc 2drht's in the central AR area in my sophmore yr in HS,me and GLENDA kept that thing spit shined,between it and my 54 ford .me and this gal was busy keeping both clean and looking the best we could,she'd jump in a ol boy's bowl of chili for hoppin his butt up on a fender as quick as I would..........it may not ever be worth much,but we hang onto GLENDA's 86 XR7 couger with 131,000 autual mile,an loaded with all the bells and sirens,and before I go my brother had a 67 couger with a 351 w and a 3spd tranny that he beat into the ground and it just kept on running,would not die......later thanks POP
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

I'm an early cougar fan as well. Back in the early 90's my daily driver was the Comet, but I had purchased a 68 Xr7 that I started playing with. That was the first motor I ever rebuilt. Well I got married and didn't have the money to keep the Comet on the road, but the Cougar was just about done so that became my driver. Then divorce happened and I had to sell the Cougar. It was maroon with black vinyl top, aluminum slots and tan vinyl interior 302 with fmx tranny. Not a fast car, but it was a fun car especially since it was the first car that I brought back from the dead.

loman

Post by loman »

Speaking of Mercury projects, does anyone know where you can buy door latches for a 55 Mercury Montclair 2 door hardtop? My dad's latch is not working correctly and he said he called a bunch of places today for a replacement but came up empty.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOMAN,in the next day or so ,I'll go over to a friends place,and check on a pair for you....this ol man has 5acres of cars mostly old fords and they have been sitting un touched for yrs,,no one goes in there,I started working with him in 1972,these cars and few trucks have not been moved or messed with,and parts like latches don't wear out just sitting there,but I'll inspect them well before if he'll part with him,and get back to you,,I don't know what to offer him for them,he'll ask for an offer,cause he don't hardly ever sell anything,him and his wife are HOADERS,both retired and they go to sales and autions weekly and buy stuff and bring it home and stack it up,money is no object to him ,but he is as tight with a dollar as bark is on a tree,,,,,so you PM me with a ball park amount to offer him,,they will be in good shape or I won't mess with them to start with.......so PM me and we'll go from there....if he happens to have them to start with.....thanks POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I can't recall if they are the same as a 55 ford or 56 or they same on a 56 mercury
pop/glenda