Canadian Car Variants - Ford, Mercury, Others

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
albert

Canadian Car Variants - Ford, Mercury, Others

Post by albert »

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2016 ... refer=news

Attached is a terrific story on Canadian Contraptions or those unique variant cars that you sometimes see at local car shows. I grew up with these cars and owned a 1956 Meteor Rideau 500 that had a 312 T Bird in it. Also drove a 1955 Mercury M1 pickup at a part time job. Lots of relatives and neighbors had these cars back in the day, they were everywhere. On one of our annual trips from Canada to visit cousins in NJ my dad swapped out his grille from his 1957 Meteor with our cousin who immediately installed it in his 1957 Ford Ranchero, he loved that "V" grille. I know a lot of Canadian cars ended up in the US and Australia. Thought you guys might be interested. A lot of Ford/Mercury history here but truly sorry for too much info on Pontiacs in the article.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

redhotcomet

Re: Canadian Car Variants - Ford, Mercury, Others

Post by redhotcomet »

The Frontenac was another uniquely Canadian car. Based on a 1960 Falcon, one year only I believe. I've seen a few in junkyards, never seen a driver. There was one listed locally to me, not sure if it sold or not. If I see it again I'll go look at it and get some pictures of it. Only problem is I might be tempted to bring it home!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

redhotcomet

Re: Canadian Car Variants - Ford, Mercury, Others

Post by redhotcomet »

The Frontenac was another uniquely Canadian car. Based on a 1960 Falcon, one year only I believe. I've seen a few in junkyards, never seen a driver. There was one listed locally to me, not sure if it sold or not. If I see it again I'll go look at it and get some pictures of it. Only problem is I might be tempted to bring it home!
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"