POP's FORDS

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
popscomet

POP's FORDS

Post by popscomet »

Day before yesterday,had to replace the fuel pump on GLENDA's 351 pwrd 1956 ford,,fuel pump wasn't that old ,but the car sets alot in the garage so ?? who knows why?? Pulled my side by side out to the races last week behind my 1966 390 pwrd f100,never a stumble,,60-70 mph all the way there and back came home and,parked by the shop and a few hrs later fired it up to move and unload the trailer,it went 50or 60 ft and the fuel pump went out on it also ,so I had to replace it too !! it was so new that O'Riellys made it good,,,,things ain't made as good as they once were......am just thankful that truck got me home and the 56 was still in the garage when it stopped pumping......so it could have been alot worst......several yrs ago I was inroute to the deer camp in my 77 bronco..fuel pump went out,,,sent word to the camp and Glenda's dad pulled a trailer and came and got me,took me to a parts place and I bought another,put it on and it was bad right out of the box,,I messed with that thing and checked gas lines the hand operated valve to switch from front to rear tank,,finally I took that new pump back off and found out it was bad,who'd thought it?Went back and got another and installed it and was good to go,til just a couple of weeks ago and I was driving it around in the pasture just kinda charging the battery and to keep the brks up to par and it died ,dadgum fuel pump went out,me and Glenda pulled it to the shop with a tractor....ain't got around to changing it yet,,,thats next weeks chore if something else don't come up :shock: :? :roll: pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Re: POP's FORDS

Post by poboyjo65 »

Damn ethanol! :x :x
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I agree - I don't think a lot of the parts are made with the same quality…ESPECIALLY the "remanufactured" stuff!! We went through THREE master cylinders and TWO boosters replacing those on the brothers Fox 'Stang recently. The first two masters were reman, the booster NEW.

When new, the cylinder bores on aluminum masters are HARD ANODIZED…I DOUBT any of refurb parts companies are doing THAT. Even if it works out of the box it ain't gonna last! :x
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

My dad had a '74 high-boy with the divorced t-case, 4 speed, d44/d60, and a 390 in it. One time he was hauling a 24' flatbed with about 20 round bales on it and the rear u-joint let loose. He got out and tied the driveshaft up with his belt and must have driven that thing 60 miles in 4-hi pulling it with just the front axle. My dad sold it last year to a guy that wanted it for a resto-project, kind of regret it but we weren't doing anything with it and I thought it was a shame to let it sit there rusting since my dad has a much newer truck these days and isn't really into restos. Still, I don't think he talked about it for at least a week after the man drove off with it on the trailer. Part of him went with it I think.

Shot my first deer from the bed of that truck, many good memories. His friend used to tell me to take a rosary with me and say a few our fathers every time my dad started it up just to make sure we got where we were going. :lol:
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Back in the middle 70's ,I put a REMAN MC on my 71 ford truck,seemed like every 60 to 90 days later all I had was front whl brakes til I finaly went to the FORD dealership and bought a new ford MC,never had to replace it again,drove that trk another 10yrs or so before selling it.....Have been told most items are not completly reman,just whats wrong with it is fixed and cleaned and made to look new,like alt starters and things like that...pop
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Exactly! I think that's what most of 'em do!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Loner

Post by Loner »

On every truck I have ever owned I have mounted a electric fuel pump under the hood with enough wire and hose to make it work if needed. It has saved the day more than once on my vehicle and others.

Matt

albert

Post by albert »

Nothing is like it use to be! Remembering the good old days is what we rely on now. Many people and companies today don't even know what they don't know!!
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Loner wrote:On every truck I have ever owned I have mounted a electric fuel pump under the hood with enough wire and hose to make it work if needed. It has saved the day more than once on my vehicle and others.

Matt
Have gave thought to that before....wouldn't have to be a high dollar pump like we use on the race cars.......ON my bronco there is another IGN box mounted next to the one that is in use with the plug taped up for protection,I asked why when I bought it from the orginal owner and he told me one night he got several miles down in the bottoms and had one to go out and had to walk several miles for help ,no one knew where he was at..and it was in the dark and as cold as a well digger's butt,and then had to find someone to take him back down in the swamp.so he bought 2 and mounted 1 as a back up,kinda like carrying extra points and condenser back in the day..........pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I found a cragar you might like Pop!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Looks better than any 57 chevy right?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

pic upload
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Thats Zactly what they are good for hang a hose on and to rust......but who ever did that should have turned it faceing the house.....I would have.................pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Waiting on water to drip dry and start putting my 91 ranger PU back together,,,,,the other day while tooling down the freeway at about 70mph..thought I heard a strange sound from the rear,,as I was many miles from home,I kept truckin,,turned out to be a burnt axle and bearing and the seal had gave up and slung grease from end to end....I made it home ...took a new axle and bearing and seal,,,got it all back together and pressure washed everything,,brakes were soaked in grease,but everything looks nice and clean now,,,,I use some stuff called PURPLE POWER and it does a super job along with a good pressure washer,,I washed the complete rear end backing plates and tranny and the front end.....have had this LIL ranger for over 25 yrs and this is the 2nd time this very same thing has happened,,right at 15 yrs ago was the 1st time....OH WELL you can't drive them forever and this had been a great dependable LIL truck..........about time to put the grease in the rear end and put the drums back on and rotate the tires while it is on the lift.....might lube it to push any water out,just to be on the safe side.........good day to ALL !! POP
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:I use some stuff called PURPLE POWER and it does a super job along with a good pressure washer
Just bought another jug of that stuff today, I was using it mostly to clean oil spills off the garage floor and then used it to degrease my "new" engine the other day and it worked pretty well.

On the theme of parts now days, my 1990 Jeep Cherokee kept loosing starters, I bought the O'Reilly's one with a lifetime warranty, I must have put 5 starters on that thing (ok maybe 3) but just kept taking them back and getting "new" ones, I can pull the starter off a Jeep pretty fast :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I use that PP for everything...Glenda buys it by the gallons,,,,I keep tractors and equipment washed with that stuff...I even PREP race car tires with it.......won't spray it full strength on a good paint job,but if I dilute it with water and add some liquid car wash..I spray it on what ever,,,,,,,,,,pop
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

WELL,the lil ranger ain't through me YET!!Was tooling around a couple of days ago in my normal state of mind(goofin off,and wasteing gas with no particular place to go, :roll: )when I noticed a weird smell and the wheel was pulling hard to one side,a couple of miles from home I pulled over and smoke was coming from the right front wheel,,HOT ain't the word !! SO,I backed up a few feet hopeing the caliber would release,,ran a couple of stop signs ,glad it has a clutch,made it back to the shop and jacked up the wheel and could not spin it ,so I let it cool off on it's own for a couple of hrs and it freed up...havn't got to yet,but this very same thing has happened before,the piston came out and cocked,but everything got so hot,I'll tear it all the way down and check and repack or replace what ever it needs,,,out of all the trucks and 4 whl drives I own and have owned,this lil ranger is my most favorite,it's never been wrecked ,not a speck of rust nownere,drives perfect and it still looks good,,but am aware that's it's worth only what someone is willing to pay me for it...plus I special ordered it over 25 yrs ago,,,in 93 ,I ordered a new one and traded this 91 in,less then 48 hrs later I went back to the dealer and got this 91 back,,so time work and money and effort don't mean squat to OL POP when it comes to this lil 91 ranger....anyone else ever have one that they felt this way about?..shoot fire it's just a old ranger pu :!: thanks.........POP
pop/glenda