65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Still moving along. Dealt with the cowl today, then had my boy block an old fender with 150, 220, 400 then 600 wet to use as a test before the rest of the car. And, in the interest of keeping it in line with the site, it's a Comet fender LOL.

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Dan,, Good to see your moving along. Nice color!

Curious to why you masked the cowl vent like that? Did you do that to blow some paint into the vent opening?

Lou

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Lou's Comet wrote:Dan,, Good to see your moving along. Nice color!

Curious to why you masked the cowl vent like that? Did you do that to blow some paint into the vent opening?

Lou
Yes. It was primer grey after all the previous work. That was the best way I could figure to get it colored without backing up.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Fell behind a bit; was down in my back all week, but my boy finished blocking the spare old crusty Comet fender, so a quick test shoot to make sure we like the color - yep. I'm sold. Now to get this car painted!

Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I like that color Dan! It will look great with the black wheels.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:I like that color Dan! It will look great with the black wheels.
I hope so. I think this color, with the black wheels and assorted stainless & chrome, should look pretty good. Now if the weather would just hold on a little while longer . . . . .

Dan

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

Looks good Dan, and agree with John that it will look great with the black wheels. I have a escape in my shop similar color, lighting really seems to have a cool effect on it. The color looks sinister in the shadows!

Lou

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

My step mother has an Escape almost the same color as well, just a little lighter with less flake.

Now that my back has stopped fighting me the weather seems to be turning, so I guess it's time to figure out a paint booth inside the shop. Even on the coldest days I can use my blow - through kerosene heater to get the shop up to 70 within 45 minutes or so then it'll stay that warm for a couple hours even when I turn it off, so it's possible I can keep moving along. Next week appears to be the last of the weather in the 70's here so it's time to hurry up!

Thanks for looking.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Well, it appears I ran out of decent weather to paint. Still dealing with this imminent - layoff BS at work so that's complicated things a bit.

So, current state. Body is ready to shoot, slick as I can get it. Hood and doors are in the same condition, ready to go. STILL waiting on my gage bezel :evil: but I guess that's what you get waiting on someone else. I've been catching up on random projects around the shop in the meantime, so that's good for progress. Hinges are rebuilt and I've started rebuilding the column (just general cleanup, new turn signal switch, paint and replacing the old column shift collar with a 4 speed unit). Next will be a little fiberglass work to the rear bumper, since it leaves a weird gap at the lower quarters I'm not fond of.

Either way, still making progress.

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Progress is progress, whether it's the big or little stuff. It all adds up to the total. Think you'll be able to get her to PF this summer? It would be great to see her up close. :D
I hope your layoff situation gets clarified soon. I weathered five different major layoffs where I worked over my career, each with a long period of not knowing which side of the cut I was going to end up on. One was announced just as I was in the final stages of building our house. :x I retired with a parachute on the last one. :D
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Progress is progress, whether it's the big or little stuff. It all adds up to the total. Think you'll be able to get her to PF this summer? It would be great to see her up close. :D
I hope your layoff situation gets clarified soon. I weathered five different major layoffs where I worked over my career, each with a long period of not knowing which side of the cut I was going to end up on. One was announced just as I was in the final stages of building our house. :x I retired with a parachute on the last one. :D
Jim
I hope to get over to PF, but it'll be a full on thrash to get finished in time, especially without cutting any corners. If I can get this gage cluster finished and get the harness installed, I might just be able to make it. As for the layoff situation, the wife and I have taken a few steps to make us "layoff - indifferent" in the future, so if it happens, oh well. More time for the projects . .

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:I hope to get over to PF, but it'll be a full on thrash to get finished in time
Shoot, if it's water-tight and you can winch it on a trailer, drag it over. We don't care if it's finished or not. We're just itchin' to see it after reading this thread. :lol: :D
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
bigdan wrote:I hope to get over to PF, but it'll be a full on thrash to get finished in time
Shoot, if it's water-tight and you can winch it on a trailer, drag it over. We don't care if it's finished or not. We're just itchin' to see it after reading this thread. :lol: :D
Jim
It would be a blast for sure. Ill do my best LOL.

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

bigdan wrote:
Jims65cyclone wrote:
Jim
It would be a blast for sure. Ill do my best LOL.

Dan
BY all the power you and those boys can musture up,,load that thing on a trailer and bring it,,we don't care ,,you just need to come...we all want to gander at it :lol: ( that's just about as country as OL POP can talk :lol: ) the comet me and son are hopeing to bring will still leave a lot to be desired :shock: but we don't care ,if at all possible we are bringing it,even if tears everyone's eyes to see it :lol: thanks and good luck.....POP
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, fellas. Ill try my best. On that note, I've started slowly rounding up my last few parts while I'm still waiting on my gage bezel . . . . .

Dan
Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.