65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
tomb22

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by tomb22 »

I sure would like to know how that 331 runs. I've been tossing around the idea to build one for my mustang drag car. Did you buy all the parts from one supplier?
Tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

tomb22 wrote:I sure would like to know how that 331 runs. I've been tossing around the idea to build one for my mustang drag car. Did you buy all the parts from one supplier?
Tom
Mostly Summit, Tom. I've had the block a while, been rounding things up as I made decisions which way to go. My goal is a quick revving torqy little engine that's not straining its guts out to make HP. That being said, compression should be in the mid 10's, should breath quite well and hopefully - hopefully - put down mid-to high 300's at the tires. We'll see I guess. I didn't go super aggressive on the cam, which would probably be the only thing I'll step up if needed. AFR recommended durations in the 220I/225E range with over .500 lift with the 185's; I ended up using the XE270HR for starters; it's 218I/224E with .544 lift with 1.7's; 1.6's are dead on .500. Only one way to find out now . . .

Dan

Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Tedious, time consuming update, but still moving along. I'm trying to make sure my oldest is on hand for every step, then trying to make sure he's absorbing the info LOL. He seems to so far, but then he's in and out all day, so you guys know how that goes.

That being said, mocked up a head, lifter, rocker, etc to check piston to valve clearance. At approximately 0.250" I think we're fine. Had to pick up some hydraulic rollers lifters to make "solid" at the local chain, then after all was complete and good to go, pulled it all again and installed the head studs for good. Productive day for sure, but so much more to do.

More later -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote: I'm trying to make sure my oldest is on hand for every step, then trying to make sure he's absorbing the info LOL. He seems to so far, but then he's in and out all day, so you guys know how that goes.
Some of may most precious memories are when I was working with dad building or fixing something together, I learned a lot from him.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:Some of may most precious memories are when I was working with dad building or fixing something together, I learned a lot from him. See Ya,
Mike
Yes, me too. He's retired now and is traveling alot, but he still drops in to critique LOL. I could've never built my shop without him either.

And, trying to grab every second, I ran out after dinner and drilled the last firewall hole I needed to route and install the cluster. Bad pic, but it's the huge hole in the top left -

Moving along -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:And, trying to grab every second, I ran out after dinner and drilled the last firewall hole I needed to route and install the cluster. Bad pic, but it's the huge hole in the top left -
Well every little things counts, I am probably not going to make my goal for the month for the first time, my wife is off this week and we will be doing other stuff, I spent too much time doing stuff not on my list like the motor mounts and transmission mount, but those are things I won't have to do later so it will all come out in the end.

If I get a few minutes this week I am going to try and get the front calipers on that should be a pretty straight forward and quick job.

Enjoy your build Dan, keep up the good work.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

loman

Post by loman »

Looking forward to seeing the completed project. Everything looks top notch.
I think you and Mike should get Comet Central person of the year with the details in each of your guys threads.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

loman wrote:Looking forward to seeing the completed project. Everything looks top notch.
I think you and Mike should get Comet Central person of the year with the details in each of your guys threads.
I AGREE 100% !!….but it would have to be 2 separate awards....I couldn't pick just one...could you ?? pop
pop/glenda

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:I am probably not going to make my goal for the month for the first time... I spent too much time doing stuff not on my list like the motor mounts and transmission mount, but those are things I won't have to do later so it will all come out in the end.
Do yourself a favor. Move the stuff you didn't get done to next month's list, and add the stuff that you did get done to this month's list, and call it a win. No use stressing over what didn't get done that was planned if you accomplished stuff that needs to get done that you hadn't planned. It's a wash. :wink: :D
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Lists by the month?! I thought you just wrote it all down on a dry erase board then revised as necessary LOL! I keep a list of parts I still need, and then another list for little things I discover in my progress. Whatever works, I guess.

Slowly but surely, though.

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Lists by the month?! I thought you just wrote it all down on a dry erase board then revised as necessary LOL! I keep a list of parts I still need, and then another list for little things I discover in my progress. Whatever works, I guess.
Mine is just in my head, the end is too far away to start writing stuff down yet :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Off work early, so another item off the list . . . . .

Dan

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Wow Dan, that dash is top notch!!! Andy

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Awesome dash Dan. I also like the pictures of your motor going together.
Tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, fellas. Just trying to keep moving along.

Got a few more circuits routed last night including some that'll be temporarily "deleted" for now, so on to the taillights and engine compartment soon.

Hope to have the long block completed this weekend, then it'll be time to start the hydraulic release bearing measurements and assembly, then hopefully we'll drop everything in for the final time.

Moving along -

Dan