65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Electrical. So very much fun. Spent the day inside the cab, under the dash, upside down. But, the interior circuits are wrapped and routed for the most part. Installed a little floor and firewall insulation (using Summit's dynamat knock off) also. Firewall could've been cleaner on the install, but I overlapped everything to make sure i had the coverage i wanted, and I'm amazed at how much it quiets things down. But, progress, and maybe we'll start the short block tomorrow. More later -

Dan

Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Installed a little floor and firewall insulation
Cool, I was wanting to just use spray on bed liner on my floors but I am afraid it would not supply the sound a heat insulation qualities I want, so I will probably (maybe) do similar to you and make some rubber floor coverings for mine (just the foot wells).

Keep at it :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:
bigdan wrote:Installed a little floor and firewall insulation
Cool, I was wanting to just use spray on bed liner on my floors but I am afraid it would not supply the sound a heat insulation qualities I want, so I will probably (maybe) do similar to you and make some rubber floor coverings for mine (just the foot wells).
I'm planning some serious road time with this car once complete, so I'm trying to go the extra mile as far as reliability (just OD really) and comfort (somewhat, no air though LOL) are concerned. It is nice to be making progress, that's for sure. I've had a few little annoying health issues that have kept me out of the deer woods thus far, but at least I can try to blister along on this!

Cost wise, the 2 part heat and sound barriers from Eastwood/etc was right around the same, and the temp/ decibel reduction were comparable, but this way was less messy LOL.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Started the short block assembly with my oldest today; good times. Cam, crank, one piston installed, kid is enjoying it so far.

He's started his first job, so once he left for work I got back on playing with the wiring. Some purists may be offended, but I've leaned towards the "keep it simple stupid" technique with parts, etc, so I'm using Painless switches (headlights, wiper, ignition, etc) which keep things consistent with the "universal" muscle car harness. I am planning to use a Ford style solenoid, but that's no issue to adapt. My love/hate relationship with the roll around connectors continues, but the headlight connector is complete, ignition and instrument panel are next. Moving along-

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Had a day off so continued along with the wiring install. I've found that quiet days with everyone at school are perfect for that!

First off, kudos to Painless. I had a few simple questions I've written down as I've been working along, so I called their tech line. No prompts, no "press 1 for blah blah", etc, you get the idea. Straight through to a tech, very knowledgeable and helpful. Two thumbs up!

That being said, ignition switch is installed, headlight switch is installed, everything from the fire wall back is wrapped and routed, very pleased thus far. After turn signals and the wiper switch are mounted, I can install the gage cluster and call that part of this project done. That'll only leave the taillight/fuel level portion and engine compartment to finish, and i can do those without standing on my head LOL.

I do have a request - does anyone have a good pic of the 65 single speed wiper switch - motor electrical schematic they could share? Thanks in advance -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:I do have a request - does anyone have a good pic of the 65 single speed wiper switch - motor electrical schematic they could share?
I don't but I found this out on the web http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Falcon_Diagrams.htm and the specific (64) diagram here http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Diagrams/64_Falcon-3.JPG don't know if 64-65 is the same or not?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:
bigdan wrote:I do have a request - does anyone have a good pic of the 65 single speed wiper switch - motor electrical schematic they could share?
I don't but I found this out on the web http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Falcon_Diagrams.htm and the specific (64) diagram here http://www.wiring-wizard.com/Diagrams/64_Falcon-3.JPG don't know if 64-65 is the same or not?

See Ya,
Mike
That helps, but what I'm looking for is a detail on the switch connections (5 of them I think?) and the 3 connections on the wiper motor. Just trying to figure out which blades are hot, ground, park, etc.

Thanks -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Continuing with my "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time" theory of assembly, that is, even when I'm wore out from a long day at work, I try to get something, no matter how small, accomplished every day.

That said, I had a half hour or so and was able to finish up the gage cluster today, so I might have all the dash wiring complete this weekend if I'm lucky. Still hunting info on the wiper motor connections of anyone has a hint they can throw me.

As for the gages, I added turn signal indicators (green LED's between the fuel level and speedo/ tach and oil pressure) and a high beam indicator (blue LED between the speedo and tach) so it's all wired, ready to go. Another thing off the list. And yes, the left indicator is off a tiny bit; I'll just have to live with it :mrgreen: . Thanks for looking '

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Continuing with my "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time" theory of assembly
That is the only way.
bigdan wrote:I try to get something, no matter how small, accomplished every day.
Been doing that as well myself sometimes I walk in there for like 5 or 10 minutes, might just be measuring something up or the like but all those things have to be done so it is one less thing out of the mountain of stuff to get done.

All looking good from here Dan, love seeing your progress it helps inspire me.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

bigdan wrote:And yes, the left indicator is off a tiny bit; I'll just have to live with it :mrgreen: .
Glad you told me. I never would have noticed otherwise. :roll: It all looks great, and the elephant is getting smaller. :D
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Like your gauge cluster Dan
tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I appreciate the feedback, fellas. I know it's not "factory" or "original," but I'm stoked to have it behind me. Now to keep blazing along and make these gages move on their own!

Now back to file fitting rings . . .

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Small block is assembled, degreed, ready to go finally. Spent the afternoon running around locating timing cover bolts locally, which is fun. Progress, though, and a good fun morning with my oldest.

More to follow -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I WILL BE SO GLAD to see this little FORD,, :D if you don't ever bring it but 1 time,,I sure hope you bring it to PF before I stop going.....pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks, Pop. I can't wait to get it finished and I'll definitely make the trip if it is at all possible. It'll be a bare-bones little car, but I think it'll be a blast.

After running all over town finding bolts, I finally ended up with the right length grade 8's before the kiddo had to run off to work. I did get the short block up to the balancer complete, so now some quick P-V checks and we'll get the rest assembled. Moving along -

Dan