65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

Didn't get much done today unfortunately; sometimes the old T1 sugar fight wins out. But, did continue along with the roller bearing pedal upgrade, got the old mess trimmed out of the firewall and a nice piece of 1/8" plate trimmed to weld in. Ill tack it in, get my clutch master fully fitted (correctly this time) then weld it up for good. Of course, nothing more fun than doing all the welding and grinding around fresh paint . . . . Moving along -

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Man, the bird is really starting to come together Dan!! Next time I have to pull anything on/close to the pedal hanger I’ll do the roller bearings! I just replaced the nylon bushings & used good grease. I’m sure those would make pedal action mighty slick!! :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks rocket. Welded up my new firewall plate, so now spending the day getting the pedals together and making a bracket for the clutch return spring (mine was missing, of course) and getting that dialed in.

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

A little more progress on the final fab work on the 65 . . . Welded in the 1/8 plate after removing the old mess. I left the hole for the steering column a little room to trim for looks, but it'll fit now; I'll smooth it out later. Master cylinder is aligned to attach to the inside edge of the clutch pedal, and if I can read a tape I'll have the recommended 5:1/6:1 pedal ratio - just barely. It's all rough right now, so there are quite a few more holes to drill, final clean up, and the rod to build. The beauty of the Hydramax set up is its ability to tilt if necessary to keep the rod aligned, which is necessary, and just coincidentally gives me a little more room for plumbing. More to come -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Small update. Waiting on a brake pedal switch then the clutch/ brake will be complete, so started a bit of the final cut/buff so i can get to weatherstrip and move on. Started with 1000, then 2000, 2500 then 3000. That was followed by Meguiars 105 compound then 205 polish. Keep in mind I did the body work, my buddy sprayed the color and clear, and I'm no body guy, so there's alot of research and studying before I attempt any process - mostly for the first time. That being said, maybe this'll help someone, or maybe not LOL. Give me a break with any criticism -

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Last edited by bigdan on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's beautiful! Looks like you reach out and pick up any of those reflections. 8)
Jim

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks Jim. I'm fairly pleased with the result, and there's actually still a little room for improvement. I didn't think it was too time-consuming either - only took 3 hours or so. Final pic I forgot -

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

bigdan wrote:Thanks Jim. I'm fairly pleased with the result, and there's actually still a little room for improvement. I didn't think it was too time-consuming either - only took 3 hours or so. Final pic I forgot -

Dan

Dan could you take a picture of the tool you use to buff with and what is on the tool. That piece you did looks awesome.
Tom
tomb's 65

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Looks damn good! Anyone with anything else to say about it is standing too close anyways.
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Thanks fellas. Here's the final master cylinder "revised", but correct now, position. Still have to install the reservoir, that's in progress.

Tom, here's the super high tech tool ! LOL It's a Meguiars "DA", can pick them up at one of the auto box stores. Red pad for compound, yellow for polish, and yes, it matters. Hope it helps.

Thanks for looking -

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks Dan. I appreciate the info.
Tom
tomb's 65

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Continuing the final color sanding, final parts for the pedal install/upgrade. Moving along -

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Nice maybe I need pedals like that :roll: probably keep the ones in there, it seems in the past I put new pedal pads on there.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:Nice maybe I need pedals like that :roll: probably keep the ones in there, it seems in the past I put new pedal pads on there.

See Ya,
Mike
The two I had were falling off, so replacements were in order, and then who doesn't like a little shiny stuff LOL :mrgreen: . The brake switch saves me 3 possible leaks under the hood, so a no brainer there.

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:The brake switch saves me 3 possible leaks under the hood, so a no brainer there.
I haven't even thought about a brake switch yet, I know some of the portioning valves have a spot for the pressure type switch (like is on the car now) but I can see what you mean about potential leaks.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058