65 Futura in East TN . . .

All the Ford Sisters...Falcon, Mustang, Maverick & Fairlane, etc. Try and keep your post relevant for Comet users
bigdan

Re: 65 Futura in East TN . . .

Post by bigdan »

I did post that a little shy on explanation I guess, Johno :mrgreen: . I had talked to the fella that had it a few times but had never made the hour drive to check it out in earnest. With my 65 as far from stock as it is, I've been keeping my eye open for a 64/65 Falcon/Comet hard top 6 cyl for the purist in me I guess, mainly just as a cruiser, but also simple enough for my 16 year old to drive.

Enter this car. 64, Futura, auto, 170 6 cyl, as bone stock as it can be, best I can tell all original. The good - new brakes and lines, gas tank, fuel pump, cap and rotor, rebuilt engine, new tires, etc, etc. The bad - at some point in the distant future it'll need a drivers floor plan but no time soon, paint appears to be original but is rough, it'll need pins and bushings in the driver's door hinges, I'll need to chase down a fuel level gage issue and replace the battery. That being said, I drove it around, runs and stops great, so I drove it right on the trailer. :mrgreen: Plans are simple - I'd like to upgrade to the 5 lug 65 front suspension with disc brakes, and I'd like to step up to an 8 inch out back. And then drive the hell out of it!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea that looks like a dandy little car to just drive as is!! dont blame you for wanting better brakes in the future.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

poboyjo65 wrote:Yea that looks like a dandy little car to just drive as is!! dont blame you for wanting better brakes in the future.
I agree, i definitely think it'll be perfect for just a little cruising and maybe a project of some sort later. That being said, if anyone has a Falcon/Comet 8", 65 spindles and/or a 65 Pittman arm or center link, give me a shout! A few little upgrades won't hurt, and I'll let the 16 year old work them out. Thanks for looking -

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Small, minimal update . . . Dash and cage are painted. Jambs, cowl and window openings next . . . . .

Dan

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

And, without further ado, a little, tiny, almost- can't - see it, bit of color. Just the jambs, window and trunk lips, rockers and cowl but color nonetheless. It laid on nice and smooth but i picked up a little peel in the final coat, but other than that issue to address I'm happy. Looks like I've finally stopped backing up! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks for looking -
Dan

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right-on Dan...keep on pluggin' away!! :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Rocket989 wrote:Right-on Dan...keep on pluggin' away!! :D :lol: :lol:
That's the plan! Like the old adage about eating an elephant one bite at a time, just trying to keep moving forward.

Hung and aligned the doors today to set the drivers seat and then drill for mirrors (nerve wracking, but all went well) so maybe we'll start fenders tomorrow.

And, proof that a weeks vacation isn't all about a long term project, we fish till lunch then head out to the shop . . . Here you go, Pop. Thanks for looking -

Dan.

Last edited by bigdan on Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THANK YOU ,for the picture,,,that's the way to go !!.....nice catch,also!! me and son done a 64 futura ht 6cyl at..back in the 70's for me to drive to work during the gas crunch,,,,great little falcon....wouldn't outrun a fat man ,but it never gave up.....good luck.....and thanks again...........POP
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

popscomet wrote:THANK YOU ,for the picture,,,that's the way to go !!.....nice catch,also!! me and son done a 64 futura ht 6cyl at..back in the 70's for me to drive to work during the gas crunch,,,,great little falcon....wouldn't outrun a fat man ,but it never gave up.....good luck.....and thanks again...........POP
Thanks, Pop. These old cars are a definite bonding experience for sure but its fun to run in other directions as well. The first day of my week off was my oldest sons 16th, so I took him on a boar hunt he's wanted to go on for quite a while. I'd have posted a pic of that but you never know when someone might be offended, so I refrained. On a side note, the 170 in my 64 ended up, after a little research, to be a 200, so win for me. Thanks for looking -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MY son is 50 yrso,,we have always done things together,,as we are still doing,,he lives 45 min drive from here ,he comes fom his job everyday and we work on this 64 comet we are trying to get ready to take to PF in june and when we get back from PF,we will start going back to alittle drag raceing on satuday nights,,,POP just can't speak strongly enuff on the time a man needs to invest in his children,,,as I have also a 47 yro daughter that is close to OL POP and her mother...wild hog hunting is a blast,,,our deer lease has plenty of them and we meet after deer hunting and some have dogs that are used only for that type of hunting,and we have a ball chaseing the dogs and hogs on what ever you got to ride on,,OL POP rattles the rods in his RHINO,,,most of them eat good ,too !!!.....good luck and thank you pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:On a side note, the 170 in my 64 ended up, after a little research, to be a 200, so win for me
While the 170 is a good motor I agree the 200 is a win 8)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

bigdan wrote:And then, sometimes, things just fall into people's laps. Stumbled onto this today, all original, few little minor issues to deal with here and there but all around a good little driver for an amazingly fair deal. Now back to the 65 . . . . .

Thanks for looking -

Dan
Man what a find! Congrats. Hard to believe that unmodified cars are still out there

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's a nice one for sure,,mine was green,,with a bench seat,,,,,talking about these falcons got me recalling a 62 futura I use to have also,in fact OL POP made out like a bandit on that 62,,gave 150 dollars for it drove it awhile,got rear ended slightly ,collected 200 bucks from the other mans ' insurance and sold it for 300 dollars to a coworker ,,I came out smelling like a rose on that ordeal ...then son traded a half wore out 4.11 ring and pinion for a 63 2dr falcon,and about that time a guy gave me a 63 v8 comet minus the engine and we changed the 63 over to all 5lug and put in a 5 bolt 289,,made a great street car,,,,then later down the line a friend of mine was in need of a car and had no money nor a dependable way to get to work,he was married and had a couple of very young kids,,so I pulled the 289 out beings he had a good motor ,I just gave him the 63 to help him out...kinda upset the wife,I had redone the seats and brks and exhaust system on it,and it had pretty decent tires....but I believe in what goes around...comes around and OL POP has been blessed so much since then that I ain't never looked back !!! so OL POP has had a run or 2 with a falcon.......that old red chevy PU stands out like a SORE THUMB parked in the same shop with those FORDS...pop GOT A LITTLE WINDY ON THIS POST....but thanks any who how !! :lol: :lol: good luck pop
pop/glenda

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Joe, I thought it was completely original too until I found the 200, but I'll give that a pass. We had a few minor issues to rectify, but we've taken it on several 50+ mile local rides without issue, so we're definitely enjoying it in its simplicity. Hard to beat these days, even though most on the road have no idea what it is LOL.

Pop - I try to involve the boys as much as possible. My oldest was welding at 8 and under a hood with me much earlier. With all the ridiculous junk these kids are exposed to these days, I find its better just to keep them involved with me, so we fish, hunt, go to as many cruise ins as possible, etc, etc. It's been interesting to watch their taste in cars/ trucks evolve through time while still seeing my influence, so I take our time together as a top priority. I know I put great value in similar times with my dad growing up, which is why that 53 Chevy is sitting there LOL. Either him or I have owned it the last 25+ years, so it's here to stay.

All that being said, I've started my temporary paint booth, so things are getting serious quick. I'll post pics later -

Dan

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BIGDAN !!! it's very hard to impress OL POP.....BUT YOU DO FOR SURE !!thank you and good luck......pop
pop/glenda