Wrong balance?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Lou's Comet

Re: Wrong balance?

Post by Lou's Comet »

rjones35 wrote:Ok, i know its been a while, but I'm back to driving the car more and I've replaced front and rear wheels and tires, and rear springs and shocks, and the vibration is still there. Been trying to pay more attention to it. Its not there all the time. Cruising in 4th at 1500-2000 rpm I do feel a vibration in the shifter, but above about 3500-4000 I REALLY feel a vibration. Can't tell if its engine, transmission, driveshaft, or what. I haven't gone a whole lot higher than 4000-4500ish, but it feels like the vibration gets worse with the higher rpm. I know I've got a 50oz balancer and according to the Ford guy I got the engine and flywheel from, that should be right for this setup. Is there a way to check the flywheel without taking things apart? Could there be another reason for the vibrating? Don't know anything about the engine, maybe it was put together wrong at some point. I could just drive it until it explodes then worry about it.
The vibration you feel at 3500-4000. Do you have that vibration in every gear at 3500-4000 ?

Also if your driving the car at 3500-4000 when the vibration happens, depress the clutch while keeping the rpms at the 3500-4000 and see what happens to the vibration. Still their or goes away?

Lou

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Lou's Comet wrote:
rjones35 wrote:Ok, i know its been a while, but I'm back to driving the car more and I've replaced front and rear wheels and tires, and rear springs and shocks, and the vibration is still there. Been trying to pay more attention to it. Its not there all the time. Cruising in 4th at 1500-2000 rpm I do feel a vibration in the shifter, but above about 3500-4000 I REALLY feel a vibration. Can't tell if its engine, transmission, driveshaft, or what. I haven't gone a whole lot higher than 4000-4500ish, but it feels like the vibration gets worse with the higher rpm. I know I've got a 50oz balancer and according to the Ford guy I got the engine and flywheel from, that should be right for this setup. Is there a way to check the flywheel without taking things apart? Could there be another reason for the vibrating? Don't know anything about the engine, maybe it was put together wrong at some point. I could just drive it until it explodes then worry about it.
The vibration you feel at 3500-4000. Do you have that vibration in every gear at 3500-4000 ?

Also if your driving the car at 3500-4000 when the vibration happens, depress the clutch while keeping the rpms at the 3500-4000 and see what happens to the vibration. Still their or goes away?

Lou
Lou, good questions!! I don't know. I will check next time i drive it.

Thanks!!

cairnscomet

Post by cairnscomet »

When I built the 351W in my T Bucket put in a 408 stroker kit and asked for it to be balanced with flex plat and harmonic balancer .It all went together well but seemed to have a slight vibration from off idle up which I sort of thought could have been stiff poly engine mounts until a friend come over and commented on the vibration and how it was simmilar to a 302 he had been trying to fix .It got me thinking and I check balancer box as it had extra bolt on weights 50oz and 28oz .. Well i had left off the 28oz weight ,luckily only small test drives ,slipped it in and vibration gone .
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible 302 4sp
1966 Ford Ranchero 390FE - daily driver
1923 408W T-Bucket