Electric Fan or Not

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
GeneB

Electric Fan or Not

Post by GeneB »

1963 Comet vert with 302 and AOD trans. Getting ready for the Woodward Dream Cruise in 2 weeks. Lots of stop & go driving and 10mph speed. Temps usually in high 80s low 90s.
Car came with electric fan installed but I took it out because it ran all the time with key on. No overheating yet but I haven't driven in slow stop & go traffic like cruse.
I have a Champion radiator & 6 blade fan.

Would like to test car to see if it gets too hot but no way to simulate cruise conditions (10 miles stop & go). If I let it idle in sun today (temps in low 90s) would that be a good test?
If I put fan back in I want to connect to themo switch so it doesn't run all the time. Would need to find a port in Edlebrock intake for switch.
Attachments
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0029.JPG (120.64 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG (99 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG (99.11 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
IMG_0026.JPG
IMG_0026.JPG (102.46 KiB) Viewed 4178 times

SASSY

Re: Electric Fan or Not

Post by SASSY »

how about the electric fan on toggle switch so you can use it when you need it.
Mine is on a thermo switch but it doesn't come on till like 205 so I added the toggle for events just like your talking about.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Post by A/FX »

A high performance 160 degree thermostat and a fan shroud should solve your issues. I am not a “fan” of electric cooling fans, I have always been able to cool my cars with a copper radiator, a Robert Shaw H.P. stat, a factory flex fan and a shroud.
J.M.P.O.
Jim
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

I am going to use both suggestions.
For the cruise in 2 weeks I will install the electric fan with a toggle switch. Easy enough to do & I can check my engine temps at the cruise. Turn on elect fan only if needed.

Get 160 stat. I have been looking for a shroud but can't find one for my Champion radiator that will fit. Only see shrouds for elect fans on Champion web site. Saw on you tube how to make custom shroud but that would be a winter project.

Thanks for the help

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

GeneB wrote: I have been looking for a shroud but can't find one for my Champion radiator that will fit.
Someone just posted a shroud for sale on here, you might check with them and see if it is something that could be easily modified to fit.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

Thanks for heads up on ad. Replied & sent text

Gene

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

Not gonna lie to you...can't see your present setup working with what you plan to do.A shroud that fits correctly is way better but still no guarantees.With the electric fan,if you end up running it all the time,make sure you have enough alternator to keep the battery up or you could end up with an embarrassing hood up situation. Been there

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The Drake ABS “deep” shroud will fit with the original Mustang style mounting brackets. You do need to step up one on the size though...e.g. use the 3-row brackets for 2-row aluminum rad., and so on.

I used a Champion 2-row with the 3-row mounts brackets on Drake shroud. Trimmed it as need with a coping saw.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

Need some help understanding what you are saying. My radiator is a Champion 251 based on their web site. For Comet with 5.0 engine which is what I have

Don't know what is ment by 2 row or 3 row radiator. Don't see any "deep" shrouds listed on Drake site

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

GeneB wrote:Need some help understanding what you are saying. My radiator is a Champion 251 based on their web site. For Comet with 5.0 engine which is what I have

Don't know what is ment by 2 row or 3 row radiator. Don't see any "deep" shrouds listed on Drake site
2 row or 3 row radiator is how many rows of coolant tubes. You should be able to tell by taking cap of and looking inside to see how many rows of tubes you have. If you know the complete Chanpion part number with the prefix letters, like if it is a EC 251, CC 251 or MC 251 it will tell you how many rows. Champion EC is economy core 2 rows, Their CC is 3 rows and Their MC is 4 rows.

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

I did some more checking on my car. Looks like I have the Champion CC259B radiator. 2 1/2" thick, 3 core, Inlet and outlet both on passenger side.

Looking at Summit catalog Scott Drake Fan Shroud C3DZ-8146-3F. Is this the one Rocket989 was talking about in his reply?

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

First indications are good. I removed the radiator and had it cleaned & tested. He said there was some crud inside but now clean. I also installed the fan shroud that Rocket989 recommended. Had to add an aluminum extension on drivers side to mount shroud & overflow tank. Filled with green antifreeze & distilled water

Took a short ride today in the sub next door. I went about 10 mph for about a mile and temp stayed at 180. Not that hot today but 1st indications are good
Attachments
IMG_0076.JPG
IMG_0076.JPG (111.53 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
IMG_0075.JPG
IMG_0075.JPG (103.08 KiB) Viewed 3926 times

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right-on! :D Sorry about the bracket confusion. It looks like they’re 3-row is the same thickness as 2-row. You wrote how wide it is, I just failed reading comprehension on that one! Glad to hear it’s improved!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

GeneB

Post by GeneB »

Rockets989> No problem. Your link to the deep shroud made this all work. I have a small gap at the top on the shroud I will fill with weather strip to completely enclose the shroud