Radiator

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
CometJunkie64

Radiator

Post by CometJunkie64 »

I know guys, im sure this question gets asked all the time but i need to ask it. My factory radiator has sprung a leak, I'm wondering what you guys are running in your hoped up small blocks. Let me know what you guys think.
Clifton

popscomet

Re: Radiator

Post by popscomet »

I still have the orignal 1964 rad that came in mine,,,and it runs as cool as can be,never never no heating problems...........POP
pop/glenda

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

LOTS of time,the culprit in a heating problem will not always be the rad,it'll be the block,the water pass'gs in the block will be partialy clogged up,what goes thru the rad and settles also does so in the block...............pop
pop/glenda

CometJunkie64

Post by CometJunkie64 »

Thanks Pop, mine has a steady stream that sprays out of the passenger side, started in late September and im just getting around to trying to fix it. My father thinks i could just have the original recored, my buddy's think i need an aluminum one. its overheated once or twice but its never been a real problem. my buddy is worried that my stock radiator isnt going to hold up to the 500 horse i plan on dropping in.
Clifton

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OKEY-DOKEY,you buddy might be right,good luck in which ever way you go ! :D POP
pop/glenda

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The stock radiator was made for A LOT less than 500 HP!!! I run a 22"wide by 17" tall,horizontal flow,double pass aluminum radiator in my Comet and my wagon!! It seems an original radiator works the best until you get above 300 HP! JMO , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

CometJunkie64

Post by CometJunkie64 »

Quick update: I bought a 2 core champion radiator, drove it down to the Detroit autorama, she did great. granted it was cold but we sat in the car on the way home Sunday night for a half an hour without touching 190 degrees. pretty happy with it to say the least

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

CometJunkie64 wrote:Quick update: I bought a 2 core champion radiator, drove it down to the Detroit autorama, she did great. granted it was cold but we sat in the car on the way home Sunday night for a half an hour without touching 190 degrees. pretty happy with it to say the least

How is the new radiator holding up? Any problems or issues? I am thinking of replacing my radiator with an aluminum one but didn't want to spend $700.00 on a Griffin. My 50 year old radiator seems to flow OK but I am looking to maybe upgrade. Any suggestions :?:

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

comethead

Post by comethead »

Just an idea if you want to stay looking stock. NPD sells a stock looking 3 row brass radiator with a "high efficiency" core thats supposed to cool like a 4 row. It's p/n 8005-1AE at $250. I'm using that rad with a stock mechanical fan and shroud and it stays cool all the time.
And recently they added a Made in USA Ready Rad that is supposed to be a better brass radiator for $400 p/n 8005-1AH.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Joe, were there any fitment problems? I wasn't sure if a Mustang radiator would be a direct replacement for the Comet radiator. A three row brass should keep the mighty 260 cool as a cucumber. :)

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

comethead

Post by comethead »

gmsnowball wrote:Joe, were there any fitment problems? I wasn't sure if a Mustang radiator would be a direct replacement for the Comet radiator. A three row brass should keep the mighty 260 cool as a cucumber. :)
Direct perfect fit. The Mustang is essentially a Falcon, which is essentially a Comet. Some body dimensions differ, but they share many chassis and drive train parts.
I'll share a secret: many moons ago I parted an LA built 65 Comet 4-door. Long after I had sold off most parts I still had the original 289 radiator. It was a Modine unit. After doing some research it turns out Modines west coast factory supplied radiators for San Jose built Mustangs and LA built cars as well. And we all know what type Mustangs were made in San Jose! You don't? I'll tell ya...Shelby's! My humble little radiator had the right date codes/stamps and I sold it to a Shelby guy for a hefty sum :lol: Man those guys are easy!! :lol:
Anyhow here's the rads I was yapping about http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/m ... -2823.html
This is the one I'm using and it looks like it isn't sold anymore: http://www.npdlink.com/store/products/r ... 087-1.html

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Any one of these will work fine. I've had the 2 and 3 row in the Comet.

http://www.championradiators.com/Mercur ... ator-60-65

Why both? I damaged one.

Comet Bruce

CometJunkie64

Post by CometJunkie64 »

Ive had great luck with the champion. Been driving it regularly and not a problem.
Clifton

Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

I just put in a brand new aluminum one I got on EBay for $140 bucks including the shipping. Bolted right in and keeps her cool!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-ROWS-CORES-AL ... 45&vxp=mtr