Primitive PCV System??

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Creedmoor

Primitive PCV System??

Post by Creedmoor »

OK, so I'm sort of new to the 260/289 motors from the early sixties. So I was sort of puzzled by this jet engine looking thing coming out of the top rear of the intake and then, via a rubber hose, into the base of the carb. Is this some sort of early PCV system? If not, what heck is it?

popscomet

Re: Primitive PCV System??

Post by popscomet »

YEP,thats what it is ! POP
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

That was a common setup on early 260's with a PCV. Should be a hose connecting that valve to the carb base. It looks like someone has installed some kind of metal plug in the end and pinched it closed. That's not good for an engine. I needs to breath and if there is no other way for vapors to get out it can create leaks everywhere.

With later engines the PCV was relocated to the pass side valve cover.
Ron

Groover

Post by Groover »

Here's how it is supposed to look:

Hot oily gases get mixed in, under the throttle plate and burned during combustion. The brass fitting on mine is not original, but I couldn't find a PCV valve to match the threads of that 90 degree elbow you and I both have.

If that valve isn't working correctly, it can really play havoc with your idle mixture settings.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Here's something that may fit without the brass fitting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-1962-64-For ... 71&vxp=mtr
Ron

Creedmoor

Post by Creedmoor »

Wow! Thanks for the info guys.
I didn't remember it looking "pinched/squeezed" shut when I pulled the carb for a horribly overdue rebuild. But it does look that way in the pic I posted. With what was said about a restricted PCV, I had to go doublecheck! I pulled the "PCV" and here's what it really looks like. It IS a primitive (ie. very expensive to make) PCV. The "jet engine" thing I mentioned is in fact the moving part of the valve. There is a spring underneath it in there that provides resistance to the vacuum. I doubt this thing would ever wear out-it's pretty heavy duty!