Generator Voltage Results (need your input)

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Groover

Generator Voltage Results (need your input)

Post by Groover »

So today I did a little testing on the generator and have some results to post. Would like to hear from others if this sounds correct, or if you've ever tested yours.

Wired a digital volt meter direct to the BAT and GND of the voltage regulator. Placed it inside the car so I could see while I was driving.

Normal driving down the highway 55 mph, reading was 14.75 volts. Went as high as 14.95 but never got to 15 volts.
While driving the same 55 mph, turned on the bright lights, blower fan on high, radio, wipers, (that's about everything I've got except the horn and the convertible top) voltage dropped almost imperceptably to 14.70.
Came to a stop sign, left everything on, sitting at idle in gear, dropped to 12.0 variable depending on the idle, sometimes a little under at maybe 11.8, but sometimes 12.5.

At idle with no accessories on, it shows 12.75 or higher.

If I honk the horn, it will pull down to the 11's but goes back up as soon as I let off.

That all sounds pretty normal to me, how about you?

Brushes still whining and making noise, but the electronics seem to be fine.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Generator Voltage Results (need your input)

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Groover;sounds normal[except the noise],any ideas on why the brushes are loud? ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Do all gens' vary that much in the output?? I guess that's why the gen got replaced with the alt. Never seen that much variation with an alt.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Groover;sounds normal[except the noise],any ideas on why the brushes are loud? ROY.
wonder if ,to much spring tension holding them to the arm ? or the slots are to deep(or wide)...does any of that sound right ? pop
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

Hadn't really figured the brush tension was adjustable, Pop? Do you know if it is? Would have to go back and look.

As for the variation in voltage, I think it's the regulator that determines that. Probably could tighten up the settings so it kicked in and out at earlier points, but everything I've read says no need to mess with the stock regulator. High 14's is what everybody says it should run. And when your at idle it drops out entirely (RPM too low to energize) so essentially you're running off the battery at a stop sign, correct?

Groover

Post by Groover »

Just spoke to the Generator Shop. He said.

1. Voltage seems a little high. He'd rather see about 14.1 max on the voltage.
2. Shoot for a minimum of 12.6 at idle.
.. If I can achieve these two, then the gauge shouldn't swing so much either way.
3. Brushes are not adjustable, but may need a couple of hundred miles to wear in.
4. Might need to adjust the regulator a bit so it kicks out quicker (to get the voltage down to 14).

So since I think that procedure is in the book, I'll give number 4 a try but not until I get a new CVR since that appears to have burned up and it would add a little to the electrical load (always on).

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Actually that's the reason they changed from a gen to an alt because the gen didn't have a high output when at idle. The alt was so much better.
Ron

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Not sure about a gen (they are a little before my time as a mechanic) but 14.6 is pretty standard for an alt to put out on the top end, as long as you have at least 12.6 or higher you are charging since standing voltage on a good battery is 12.6 volts.

Ant

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

POP ain't never had the 1st lick of trouble from the generator on his comet,,and there's not many comets on this site that has been driven on a everyday basis as mine,,,nor had the most trouble free mileage put on it as POP's,mind you I don't have all the stero BS that some have,,but who needs all that crap when you have a fine tuned 289 with headers and 2-4's with a 4spd to listen to,,besides when driving you need to pay attention to the road ,not some bs music bluring from some speaker...besides POP has a booty-ful voice,or least I think so,,elvis ain't got crap on me,,,,you ought to hear me sing....all shook up ..it's to die for !!! :D :D :D :D 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: POP
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

Just read the shop manual, and unless I am reading it wrong, it says that the regulator range is allowed to go over 15 volts. In fact, at 75 degrees ambient temp, the range is 14.6 to 15.4 volts. So that means mine is working correctly. Think I'll keep monitoring it, but leave it alone.

Updating this thread for me an Pops, since we are the only two people left in the world running a generator :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Groover wrote:Just read the shop manual, and unless I am reading it wrong, it says that the regulator range is allowed to go over 15 volts. In fact, at 75 degrees ambient temp, the range is 14.6 to 15.4 volts. So that means mine is working correctly. Think I'll keep monitoring it, but leave it alone.

Updating this thread for me an Pops, since we are the only two people left in the world running a generator :)
thank you,POP
pop/glenda

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Hang on, my 64 convertible still runs the original generator. I have a 100 amp alternator to put on when and if I install an electric fan, 70 amp start up draw, and a 200 watt amp for the speaker box in the trunk. My generator works fine and will stay in place for a little longer. Unlike POP, I need a little music to drown out my feeble attempt to sing while driving down the road with the top down. :lol:

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

If you add all that current drawing stuff ,you will need that 100 amp whurler....as far as pop's singin goes,,it only happens when I'm by myself..when you get down to it ,I can't carry a decent note or tune in a water bucket,,,,,,,POP
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

Say Pops and Snowball.

Any chance either of you wants to slap a volt meter on your voltage regulator and post your readings? It would make this thread a little more useful for the next guy and help me confirm what I'm seeing.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

:lol: what next guy??? :lol: jk! :D
Johno