Will K Code Exhaust manifolds fit in a 65 Cyclone

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
65 cyclone 4 speed

Will K Code Exhaust manifolds fit in a 65 Cyclone

Post by 65 cyclone 4 speed »

Hello All I am new to the site and I have a 1965 Cyclone I bought it this past summer out of Texas it was for sale here on this site it is a 289 4 speed car with Rally pac my question is the stock exhaust manifolds suck for duel Exhaust I have a nice set of HIPO 289 Exhaust manifolds with the HIPO Z bar will these manifolds fit in my comet :D If not are there any that will Thanks Kris

Comechero65

Re: Will K Code Exhaust manifolds fit in a 65 Cyclone

Post by Comechero65 »

The mustang hipo manifolds won't fit. If you can find a set of falcon hipo manifolds your chances are better. No guarentee they will fit. Pass side will fit but the drivers side may work on some. In lue of using the hipo a drivers side manifold one for early 70's granada/maverick will fit and flow about as well as the hipo.

The mustang Hipo zbar when modified can help with clearance of the drivers side exhaust pipe but may not be necessary if you can reshape the lower arm on the stock zbar. Been there!
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

comet guy

Post by comet guy »

The HI PO exhaust will fit with a adjust of the linking. I'am not sure about the HI PO Z bar.

Robert

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

K code manifolds will not work on my 64 Comet. They are for Mustangs which have a greater distance to the firewall than Comets or Falcons. I used Hooker "Competition" headers [not Super] for a 65 66 mustang on my Comet. They fit good but I had to dimple the drivers side by the pitman arm a little. 20 years later they are still going strong. I would not bother with Ks.
Last edited by Tbart on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

comet guy wrote:The HI PO exhaust will fit with a adjust of the linking. I'am not sure about the HI PO Z bar.

Robert
Having a lot of experience on Falcons I do know the Falcon version Hipo manifolds, and there was a 'Falcon version', that may fit on some early falcons and comets but not all. there are slight variables that may allow them to fit on some or possibly one installers method being a little different than anothers. Early comets are similar and the same problems exist. Some can be made to fit but most won't.

The pass side 'falcon Hipo' manifold will fit. It's the drivers side that is a problem due to interference with the steering box. Can be made to fit on some but not all are so lucky. That's why I recommend using a Maverick/grananda drivers manifold from a mid 70's car. Has similar design and may flow almost as well as the Hipo but because the flange where the exhaust tube connects is about 1" further forward so no interference.

By the way the 'falcon/comet' version Hipo manifolds are no longer made so you have to find a used pair. Mustang version Hipo's are guarenteed to not fit at all.

As to the use of a Mustang Hipo zbar I know it works. You can ask Joe (Comethead) as him and I worked together on this and did the same thing so we both know it will work. The stock falcon/comet zbar can be made to work but takes some alteration to get sufficient clearance for the exhaust pipe to pass through without interference. Can be very tight especially with 2 1/4" pipes. 2" is easier but still tight.

Joe and I are both using the Hipo zbar at present on ours so we know they fit and work properly.
Ron